The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
lizzzy`
A lot of Classicists get pooled to New Hall, who come bottom of the league tables quite often. Does this have any relevance?

Possibly, I'm not sure, depends on the comparable difference in difficult of degrees aswell as students.

My point is, it's most likely that the least qualified applicants will be studying these subjects, but it's not necessarily a certainty.
Reply 221
lizzzy`
I don't mean to rain on your parade, but I had my heart set on Christ's since Year 11. Look how that turned out:smile:

ye exactly i was thinking abt Kings more than any other college in yr 11
Reply 222
yawn1
I didn't say it would be, just thought it may influence your decision. The more information you have about a college the better it helps you make up your mind if it's the one for you. Don't get defensive :tongue:

I know all about Peterhouse, and of its reputation.
Reply 223
Tina
there u go....u do have quite a strong interest in philosophy! i dont know many people who could read and enjoy all those!

I haven't read any of them and I haven't indicated I'm interested per se. But I know their difficulty and their subject matter and they are just MORE interesting than Mill. :biggrin:
Reply 224
Tina
liz what have u applied for?

MEDICINE! :biggrin: raa
Reply 225
@ Tek - incidentally, I think it can only be to your advantage to 'be an early bird'. The more time you have to organise yourself for application the more informed, prepared and focussed you will be.
Reply 226
Tek
I know all about Peterhouse, and of its reputation.

have u actually visited urself though??
Reply 227
yawn1
@ Tek - incidentally, I think it can only be to your advantage to 'be an early bird'. The more time you have to organise yourself for application the more informed, prepared and focussed you will be.

Yeah, but it's all the more painful if you don't get in; not to say you won't Tek :smile:
Reply 228
Seer
I haven't read any of them and I haven't indicated I'm interested per se. But I know their difficulty and their subject matter and they are just MORE interesting than Mill. :biggrin:

aghhhh i give up trying to prove u love philosophy!
Reply 229
yawn1

Exactly, I couldn't agree more.

--

How much preparation did your school give you all?
Reply 230
al65
have u actually visited urself though??

Of course.
Seer
No I'm saying it shouldn't lower the calibre of the subject, and it doesn't, it lowers its perceived calibre.

btw the odds suggest that classicists/theologians/those studying Nordic and Celtic will be the worst qualified. Yes, it's not necessarily true, but very likely

Worst qualified?
Reply 232
Seer
Yeah, but it's all the more painful if you don't get in; not to say you won't Tek :smile:

ye coz ive been thinking of applying to cam for abt 3 yrs .....so.... :frown: oh...i dont wanna think abt it!
Reply 233
Tina
aghhhh i give up trying to prove u love philosophy!

Awww, a shame after that monumental two line effort :P
Reply 234
Mentally Ill
Worst qualified?

Yes. As in worst gcses, A levels.
Reply 235
Tek
Of course.

This early!!?? Wow u really r an early bird...but I suppose if u now know what u want u can give it ur best shot
Reply 236
Seer

Yes, I agree, and I expect I shall be extremely disappointed if I don't get in, and whilst I shall work very hard and use every underhand! trick to ensure that does not happen, I can in the end only do my best.
Reply 237
Tek

--

Looked over my personal statement and asked me to go to one practice general interview (which i bunked) and 2 subject interviews (one of which I flunked [wasn't arsed with it], one of which I bunked!)
Reply 238
Tek

--

my school just brought in some woman from cam who basically gave us a talk repeating the stuff on interviews from the website. one of my teachers who went to cam was a lot more helpful and just gave me loads of good personal advice. i wouldnt rely on ur school to much, tho having said that i met some people at my interview who were given loadz of prep at their private schools.
Reply 239
Tek
Yes, I agree, and I expect I shall be extremely disappointed if I don't get in, and whilst I shall work very hard and use every underhand! trick to ensure that does not happen, I can in the end only do my best.

The best you can do is get perfect module marks so that you get an interview, the find out all you can about your interviewers etc and their research so that you can wow them into offering you a place:smile: good luck.

Latest

Trending

Trending