The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 260
Tek
Cheating the system, or a little extra help?

What if I told you that I knew my prospective interviewer as a family friend?

well thats not ur fault....but i still think its unfair to everyone else.
Reply 261
*dave*
If it is late, is there post on New Years Day? OMG If it didnt come on the Wednesday and I had to wait until the Friday I would scream!

No post on new yrs day...if it gets lost then itll be friday
Reply 262
*dave*
If it is late, is there post on New Years Day? OMG If it didnt come on the Wednesday and I had to wait until the Friday I would scream!

Where have you applied, Dave?
Reply 263
Tek

I'd say it's unfair but then that's just the way it goes.
Seer
I'm talking about in comparison to those at the university. Obviously AAA/AAB are high qualifications when compared to national statistics, but AAB against all other Oxbridge undergrads?

Well I cannot pretend to know about the quals of those at the uni at present.....but I would have thought that all other subjects will be very similar. I know many people who received AAB and even ABB offers in subjects you would percieve has the highest calibre. I have never know of anyone to recieve a lower offer than AAB in "lower" calibre subjects.

I think there is marginal difference (if any) in the calibre of a Classics student and a Law student.
Reply 265
Tek

It doesn't harm. But remember interviewers have to be as fair as possible, regardless (depending on the integrity of said interviewer, of course!) so don't perform in the interview banking on the fact that the interviewer/family friend will offer you a place on the grounds that he is a family friend :smile:
Reply 266
Tek

ahh...so u haven't chosen peterhouse coz it's the college u like most then
Reply 267
Tina
well thats not ur fault....but i still think its unfair to everyone else.

Easy way to avoid the problem - don't apply to that college.
Reply 268
al65

Truth be told!
Just because a course has quite a low applications to places ratio doesn't necessarily mean that the applicants are less well qualified, and the university examinations haven't been made any easier because of it.... I'm sure if you looked at Oxbridge classicists' GCSEs/A-levels they would be about as high as any other Oxbridge students'.

The number of applicants for classics has been significantly increasing over the past couple of years, owing to more state schools offering at least Latin, unis starting to accept students with no linguistic knowledge, and the subject seems to be losing its old-fashioned image.
Reply 270
Mentally Ill
Well I cannot pretend to know about the quals of those at the uni at present.....but I would have thought that all other subjects will be very similar. I know many people who received AAB and even ABB offers in subjects you would percieve has the highest calibre. I have never know of anyone to recieve a lower offer than AAB in "lower" calibre subjects.

I think there is marginal difference (if any) in the calibre of a Classics student and a Law student.

I'd bet a large sum of money the average Philosopher/Economist/PPEist/Lawyer/Medic has higher grades than the average Classicist.
Reply 271
al65
No post on new yrs day...if it gets lost then itll be friday

Isn't there post on 1 Jan?
Reply 272
al65

I don't know any admissions staff at Peterhouse actually.
Reply 273
Tek
Easy way to avoid the problem - don't apply to that college.

well at the end of the day....the system wont be completely unfair ad sometimes you can give it your all but just happen to be unlucky
Reply 274
Seer
I'd bet a large sum of money the average Philosopher/Economist/PPEist/Lawyer/Medic has higher grades than the average Classicist.

Do you have higher grades than Alexander? :biggrin:
Reply 275
lizzzy`
Isn't there post on 1 Jan?

i dont think so....but its weird coz my cozin who went to emma said he got his on new years day???!!!!! this was like 4/5 yrs ago?
Reply 276
Alexander
Just because a course has quite a lot of offers to places doesn't necessarily mean that the applicants are less well qualified.... I'm sure if you looked at Oxbridge classicists' GCSEs/A-levels they would be about as high as any other Oxbridge students'.

The applicants for classics have been significantly increasing over the past couple of years, owing to more state schools offering at least Latin, unis starting to accept students with no linguistic knowledge, and the subject seems to be losing its old-fashioned image.

Which is why I said it isn't necessarily true, just more likely. For example, look on the Ox website at the biography of a Theologian. She 'only' did 3 A levels, 2 of them weren't academic, Art and Theatre Studies.
Reply 277
Seer

I would too. It's because well, as an economist/medic/lawyer you will rarely be on the bread line, but what would a Classics graduate do?
Reply 278
Tek
I don't know any admissions staff at Peterhouse actually.

yea but the notes from the interviewer are the major factor in an admin tutors decision
Reply 279
Tek
Do you have higher grades than Alexander? :biggrin:

Dunno :smile: But I'm a lazy bastard so I don't count :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending