The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Sinley

PS In EU animal experiments for cosmetics has already banned. but not in Japan. That wave couldn't reach Japan.

Not true, this was used alot by animal rights protesters - its not cosmetic testing, a advisory committee did twiddle its collective thumbs and said that animal testing was morally not ideal, and suggested limitation, but it never got anywhere near banning. Its actually very difficult to distinguish between 'cosmetic' and 'medical' animal testing.
Reply 21
sinley you sound like you care more about the science , medicine is alot about careing for people , like when you said about earrings your first thought should of been it could hurt someone , not something about experments.

Sorry to be judgemental , but perhaps biomed is better for you at this time , you sound very unwise to the world.
OP it's more than fine that earrings are ok, I myself have my ears pierced 3 each side, on practice i only wear one stud and a hoop on my left, but I also have visable tattoo's. As for nails they do have to be short and clean, i feel jealous towards girls who have lovely long manicured nails, but i'd rather have clean nails than long ones which have loads of yucky stuff inside! I do however wear different studs, never plain, like musical clefs..smily faces, a bit of variety and patients always ask which pair i'm wearing today. Oh and my hair although it's dyed anyway, it currently does have pink underlayers lol
Reply 23
Wangers
Not true, this was used alot by animal rights protesters - its not cosmetic testing, a advisory committee did twiddle its collective thumbs and said that animal testing was morally not ideal, and suggested limitation, but it never got anywhere near banning. Its actually very difficult to distinguish between 'cosmetic' and 'medical' animal testing.

Thank you for everyone replying me!:smile: I'm sorry for this late reply!!:smile:

and thank you for telling me...I didn't know so. Though I fully understand it is difficult to distinguish these two experiments, I still believe some experiments should be replaced with another materials,at least something that is blamed for not being scientific.// and I hear what some scientists all ever think about is their promotion by writing many theses. I may be tooo naive, and if I become a scientist who is under strong pressure ("Write some theses!" ) , I may be like them. As I said this is my dream right now.I know I need to have to study a lot more and I also know I have to know "inside" as a scientist herself....anyway thank you for your comment : )
Reply 24
reikazen
sinley you sound like you care more about the science , medicine is alot about careing for people , like when you said about earrings your first thought should of been it could hurt someone , not something about experments.

Sorry to be judgemental , but perhaps biomed is better for you at this time , you sound very unwise to the world.

I thought about it again and again and again and again. I had an interview when I took the entrance exam. The high school teacher who was in charge of advising me about the interview told me exactly the same things what you said to me.He asked about it so many times and made me think deeply. I wondered I was lack of love and interests for humans. But after thinking many times I thought I was not,much to my delight:smile:

"like when you said about earrings your first thought should of been it could hurt someone , not something about experments." I'm sorry I am not quite sure what you are talking about...Do you mean...I should think the effect I could cause by piercing my ears in Japan as a medic? I thought the possibility to hurt someone by doing so but I couldn't come up with.There are many medics (no boys...maybe...though I am not sure.) who have holes on their ears.(may not six!) Even so I planned to visit a hospital with the clear plastic earrings (for keeping the holes). It is very discreet and I think it is no problem. The small shining earrings I mentioned was about my holiday (I am sorry I should have said so). // and I just showed my ideas why I chose to go to medical school,so there's nothing to do with the matter of earrings and animal experiments.

Hm, I may be unwise to the world.but I believe I have made the best decision.

Thank you for your reply!
reikazen

I love the idea of a biomedical pre-fresher telling someone whether or not medicine is for them based on a couple of internet posts.
Reply 26
Phalanges
I love the idea of a biomedical pre-fresher telling someone whether or not medicine is for them based on a couple of internet posts.

1. the fact im doing biomedical science has nothing to do that , I base my beliefs from working in health care

2. earrings if are pointy etc clearly are danger to elderly patients if you had seen a stupid girl rip a elderly womens skin because she decided to wear the wrong stuff you would think differently.Its just the way she came across , what is she on about experiments i still dont know , but yeah when it comes to things like that you need assess EVERYTHING you do and wether it can cause a risk to your patient.Any good care assistant will tell you this let alone a doctor.

its simple healthcare thinking , I know this because im a senior at my work and I think clearly about every action I take.( then again I do just get abit OCD about it because I am on my own basicly at night sometimes)

but sure she is allright now she has explained herself.
Reply 27
Sinley
Thank you for your reply :smile:

Yes there is even a book whose title is "You are judged 90% by your appearance."( I haven't read this book.maybe the other 10% is judged by your character?) but still as you said I believe pierce-earrings at least for girls are fine (six holes may be frowened though).and I have confidence in looking "decent medic" even with two holes in my ears.

Interesting...thanks!

"They say no matter how another students are like, I shouldn't follow them.Well I understand the reason why I shouldn't wear nailtips/manicures.The germs could creep into between the nail and the nailtips during experiment"

err this was what I kinda meant , sorry If I wasnt clear at all lol , as long as you know that you cant start go wearing long nails etc and long earrings all is fine.Erm I think I just got confused by your post on that part.If you are sure go go medicine , but just be sure that you can handle it , and that a career in science is not for you.Well atleast being a full time scientist , I mean you get doctors that research and are involed within research projects and are indeed researchers lol.
reikazen
1. the fact im doing biomedical science has nothing to do that , I base my beliefs from working in health care

2. earrings if are pointy etc clearly are danger to elderly patients if you had seen a stupid girl rip a elderly womens skin because she decided to wear the wrong stuff you would think differently.Its just the way she came across , what is she on about experiments i still dont know , but yeah when it comes to things like that you need assess EVERYTHING you do and wether it can cause a risk to your patient.Any good care assistant will tell you this let alone a doctor.

its simple healthcare thinking , I know this because im a senior at my work and I think clearly about every action I take.( then again I do just get abit OCD about it because I am on my own basicly at night sometimes)

but sure she is allright now she has explained herself.

you're a care worker/hca and is like 19...how on earth are you senior?
Reply 29
reikazen

1. How would non-pointy earrings go through the small hole in my ears? :s-smilie::

2. Small stud earrings have always been acceptable as per my medical school & now workplace dresscode policies.

3. My main concern about danglies (that some people do get away with wearing) is to my ears from patients inadvertently/purposefully pulling on them!
& I tend not to wear earrings at all if I'm going to theatre due to likelihood of loosing/pulling with hats. Same with ring - goes on my badge rather than down the sink when scrubbing!

(Rings are an interesting part of the bare below the elbows mantra - would be a big cultural challenge if trusts wanted to make them a no no.)
Elles
1. How would non-pointy earrings go through the small hole in my ears? :s-smilie::

2. Small stud earrings have always been acceptable as per my medical school & now workplace dresscode policies.

3. My main concern about danglies (that some people do get away with wearing) is to my ears from patients inadvertently/purposefully pulling on them! & I tend not to wear them if I'm going to theatre due to likelihood of loosing/pulling with hats. Same with ring - goes on my badge rather than down the sink when scrubbing!

(Rings are an interesting part of the bare below the elbows mantra - would be a big cultural challenge if trusts wanted to make them a no no.)

I can't believe some people can get away with wearing dangly earrings, the job is physical enough sometimes, i'd hate to have to wear havy and dangly earrings whilst during an arrest, or maybe dressing a wound..they can soo easily fall out, get pulled etc. As for rings i think the current consensus is you can wear non stoned rings, and a single band, for example wedding rings. As long as it doesnt affect your handwashing too, most people i know including myself take the ring off anyway
Reply 31
Just to clarify - personally I'd never wear danglies to work either (I'm a small pearl studs person when dressing professionally :wink: ) but have seen people who do.

Subcutaneous
As for rings i think the current consensus is you can wear non stoned rings, and a single band, for example wedding rings. As long as it doesnt affect your handwashing too, most people i know including myself take the ring off anyway

I've never seen this enforced though, in contrast to the rolling up sleeves & not wearing ties etc.

There's no way I'd wear the sparkle at work either, for self preservation reasons too (rather than the clear cut literature about hosiptal acquired infections that have as their vector prongs/on stone surfaces!) - it's a manual job! Though this means I'm not habituating to it well & it's veeery distracting when I do wear it. :love:
Elles
Just to clarify - personally I'd never wear danglies to work either (I'm a small pearl studs person when dressing professionally :wink: ) but have seen people who do.

I've never seen this enforced though, in contrast to the rolling up sleeves & not wearing ties etc.

There's no way I'd wear the sparkle at work either, for self preservation reasons too (rather than the clear cut literature about hosiptal acquired infections that have as their vector prongs/on stone surfaces!) - it's a manual job! Though this means I'm not habituating to it well & it's veeery distracting when I do wear it. :love:

I've seen it enforced within the nursing team, naturally we do have stricter uniform regulations and have audits on it etc. I've had a few friends been sent home for not wearing proper shoes, too much make up, or incorrect trousers and sister regularly checks our fingernails too before a shift

The rings, ties, and sleeves one though it's trust policy now, not seen any senior managers or doctors or nurses wearing ties anymore, we did have a porter who wore a tie for a week and it very quickly went as soon as it came lol

Although I do question some of the managers who come onto the ward and even the female doctors dress, we had a few medical students on last weekend and one was wearing rather nice sized heels, tight long sleeved blouse showing cleavage, a-line skirt and this really nice yet inappropiate necklace that dangled down and stuff, she looked lovely- but you could just see an accident waiting to happen and it's just not feesable for them or the patient when doing clinical work. I'm glad I have a set uniform, although I do wish they brought back the nurses belt..would make the dresses a bit nicer!
Elles

Oh Elles, how nice and feminine :love:

Subcutaneous
The rings, ties, and sleeves one though it's trust policy now, not seen any senior managers or doctors or nurses wearing ties anymore, we did have a porter who wore a tie for a week and it very quickly went as soon as it came lol

I wear a tie every day!

Tuck it in if I'm doing anything dirty.

I don't understand the rings vs watches thing-it's all a load of ******** IMO.
Reply 34
Subcutaneous
I've seen it enforced within the nursing team, naturally we do have stricter uniform regulations and have audits on it etc. I've had a few friends been sent home for not wearing proper shoes, too much make up, or incorrect trousers and sister regularly checks our fingernails too before a shift

Although I do question some of the managers who come onto the ward and even the female doctors dress, we had a few medical students on last weekend and one was wearing rather nice sized heels, tight long sleeved blouse showing cleavage, a-line skirt and this really nice yet inappropiate necklace that dangled down and stuff, she looked lovely- but you could just see an accident waiting to happen and it's just not feesable for them or the patient when doing clinical work. I'm glad I have a set uniform, although I do wish they brought back the nurses belt..would make the dresses a bit nicer!

Are they published in any peer reviewed journals?? It strikes me that people that have to move from ward to ward - phlebs, on-callers, even the night nurse in charge, do not change cloathes, hence isn't it the equivalent of potentially spreading lurgies everywhere?? If it is shown that a 'uniform' has magical antibacterial properties, then fine, but the idea of an audit on (for example) casually defined 'wear what you like) is preposterous. You might as well go and audit a catwalk, different people look different in different cloathes, a bad day will make you look **** in even the nicest of cloathes - so basically, a never ending cycle of audit that is utterly pointless.

EDIT: SPAG
digitalis
I wear a tie every day!

Tuck it in if I'm doing anything dirty.

I don't understand the rings vs watches thing-it's all a load of ******** IMO.

I'm a big fan of ties, but weren't they banned in the NHS altogether about a year ago?
AnonymousPenguin
I'm a big fan of ties, but weren't they banned in the NHS altogether about a year ago?

Local policy differs. Some say no ties, but others say you can wear them if you tuck them in.

It's all a load of ********, after all, one large publicity stunt that is unfortunately being worked into curriculum's etc.

You are allowed to wear rings (harbour bacteria) but not watches (also have bands that allow bacteria to sit inside).

Hell, deep cleaning only clears a ward for around 40 minutes before it becomes repopulated with MRSA-and the millions the government has spent on that farce is almost criminal!

Much better is the money spent on more pharmacists and tighter antibiotic prescribing both in hospital and the community-now there are daily checks on antibiotic prescription length and relevance.
Wangers
Are they published in any peer reviewed journals?? It strikes me that people that have to move from ward to ward - phlebs, on-callers, even the night nurse in charge, do not change cloathes, hence isn't it the equivalent of potentially spreading lurgies everywhere?? If it is shown that a 'uniform' has magical antibacterial properties, then fine, but the idea of an audit on (for example) casually defined 'wear what you like) is preposterous. You might as well go and audit a catwalk, different people look different in different cloathes, a bad day will make you look **** in even the nicest of cloathes - so basically, a never ending cycle of audit that is utterly pointless.

EDIT: SPAG

Exactly. No-one questions when the uniformed staff go to the canteen etc, go outside for a fag break, go take a **** etc...same malarkey with scrubs! Scrubs are only clean from the moment they get taken out of the cleaning machine...they start collecting from the moment they get put on the shelf! You don't have to peer review that-it's just common sense!

Latest

Trending

Trending