The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
henryt
I should imagine that it would also depend on the millgrams/tablet of actual paracetemol. Taking 2 150mg tabs is the same as taking 6 50mg tabs!

Paracetamol generally comes in 500mg.

And yes, Fluffy is right that it's more like 3-4 times that can be lethal. It depends on the state of your liver; taking 8 at once is certainly not going to be good for it and should never be attempted.

N_M - just because you know someone who's survived it doesn't make it a clever thing to do.

SW - you shouldn't say things like that EVER when you don't know what you're talking about when it comes to drugs.
Reply 21
Is this your MSN friend you're concerned about?
SW
Well the allowance per 24 hours is 8 I think?? :confused:

16 paracetamol at ONCE wouldn't kill you - I'm sure... nevermind in 24 hours

Can kill you if you are slight person or have activated liver enzymes (ie if you're a drinker, if you take alcohol with the pills, if you are on certain other medication)
Basic rule is that most people (97.5%) need 25+ paracetemol to kill you.

Why do you think that they limit the number of packets you can buy in the supermarket/pharmacy..?
Reply 23
Jamie
Can kill you if you are slight person or have activated liver enzymes (ie if you're a drinker, if you take alcohol with the pills, if you are on certain other medication)
Basic rule is that most people (97.5%) need 25+ paracetemol to kill you.

Why do you think that they limit the number of packets you can buy in the supermarket/pharmacy..?

Still not a clever idea to take more than the recommended dose at once though, is it?
O god no. I said what i meant KILL YOU. You will still have some damage occuring after only 8 in one go.
Reply 25
JonnyB
Is this your MSN friend you're concerned about?

Yep.
Reply 26
well i dont think over dosing on antihistamines would do anything too serious, although it would depend on how many you take. if your antihistamine contained any kind of steroid then it can be quite serious.
Reply 27
You can overdose on anything, an overdose is taking more than the recommended daily amount. Taking antihistamines I imagine would make you very drowsy so operating machinery or driving could be pretty dangerous.

I'd advise ringing NHS direct or going to the doctor and if there are any bad symtoms like passing out or being violently sick go to A+E. Always better safe than sorry.
Reply 28
marzigirl
well i dont think over dosing on antihistamines would do anything too serious, although it would depend on how many you take. if your antihistamine contained any kind of steroid then it can be quite serious.

Depends on the antihistamine. 28 people in the US died as a result of antihistamine overdose in 1999.

http://www.emedicine.com/EMERG/topic38.htm

Latest

Trending

Trending