The Student Room Group

Psychology at University - FAQ

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Yes, it completely varies. My course has even recently introduced multiple choice questions for some exams. Although, as a consequence we are learning a greater volume of information at a more advanced level than a normal first year course.
Katie_louise
Yes, it completely varies. My course has even recently introduced multiple choice questions for some exams. Although, as a consequence we are learning a greater volume of information at a more advanced level than a normal first year course.

We had a multiple choice test for half of our research methods exam. It was negatively marked though; so if you got an answer wrong they deducted marks :eek:
Reply 42
GodspeedGehenna
We had a multiple choice test for half of our research methods exam. It was negatively marked though; so if you got an answer wrong they deducted marks :eek:

Thats mean :frown:

Our ones are filled with lots of logic tricks and traps. If I figure the answer out straight away I know I've missed a trick somewhere! :p: I do like the fact we get to learn more psychobiology content though(twice as much as 'psychology in context')
Reply 43
Wow this thread is fantastic ! Thank you so much as you have answered most of my questions :-)
Reply 44
Loz17
...:smile:...

Can you sticky this thread?
skotch
Can you sticky this thread?

I don't mod im GUD so if you want it stickied then make a thread in AAM and ask for a uni mod to sticky it. I thing they will coz its a good thread :h: Cheers Godspeed.
Reply 46
Stickied! :teeth: My life is complete!
Reply 47
This makes me want to do a psychology degree even more, all of the criteria fits me, and the modules sound very attractive.(I don't do A-level psychology as it seems rather weak)
GodspeedGehenna

Hey, I have a question :smile:
so I want to study Psychology at York and the grade requirements are AAB with atleast 1 science subject.

I've recently finished AS Art, French, Biology and Psychology and will have to drop one for A2. Initially I thought Biology, i'm not that good at it and find it difficult. But i've read that successful applicants for psych at York offer 2 science subjects so i'm undecided btwn french and bio.
I think that if I did french, i'm more likely to get a higher grade compared to bio but I don't know :s-smilie: what would you advise I do?
hellogoodbye24
so I want to study Psychology at York and the grade requirements are AAB with atleast 1 science subject.

I've recently finished AS Art, French, Biology and Psychology and will have to drop one for A2. Initially I thought Biology, i'm not that good at it and find it difficult. But i've read that successful applicants for psych at York offer 2 science subjects so i'm undecided btwn french and bio.
I think that if I did french, i'm more likely to get a higher grade compared to bio but I don't know :s-smilie: what would you advise I do?

I really wouldn't drop Bio. Also keep in mind that Psychology, particularly at York, contains a lot of biology.
Reply 50
hellogoodbye24

I would probably drop art. Definitely keep biology. Baring in mind that you don't have to have psychology A-level to apply for psychology degrees, you may want to consider dropping psychology.
You should wait till you get your grades and then decide what to do. I've found biology to be alright in terms of work at A2, psychology has been by far the one that I've had to do the most revision for as there's sooo much to memorise. It really is up to you though.
GodspeedGehenna
I really wouldn't drop Bio. Also keep in mind that Psychology, particularly at York, contains a lot of biology.

Yeah that's true, it's just that I feel that if I did do Biology at A2, I wouldn't get the AAB grades I need to get into york, I think i'll have to wait till results day to get a proper idea of what to do though.. maybe I could find out if i'm allowed to do all 4 subjects at A2 because I know some people at my school do.. x
skotch
I would probably drop art. Definitely keep biology. Baring in mind that you don't have to have psychology A-level to apply for psychology degrees, you may want to consider dropping psychology.
You should wait till you get your grades and then decide what to do. I've found biology to be alright in terms of work at A2, psychology has been by far the one that I've had to do the most revision for as there's sooo much to memorise. It really is up to you though.

I think i'll have to wait till results day but at the moment I feel that i'm alot better in art, french and psych compared to biology, which makes me think I should drop bio otherwise I might not get AAB:/
haha weirdly I seem to remember most of the stuff for psych but I agree there is a lot of it! I think it's because I make ridiculous amounts of flash cards, they seem to help me memorise stuff :smile:
Reply 53
hellogoodbye24

I reckon you are far more likely to get an offer if you are doing biology A level, no matter how good you are at art/french. At the end of the day a B is biology is going to be more useful in your degree than an A* in art.
Katie_louise
I reckon you are far more likely to get an offer if you are doing biology A level, no matter how good you are at art/french. At the end of the day a B is biology is going to be more useful in your degree than an A* in art.

Not necessarily... I'm not familiar with all the courses, but very few Biology A levels include a lot of work on the brain. That's the only thing that's relevant, really.

However, some uni's don't accept Psychology as a science, so if the OP has an idea where s/he'd like to go, they should check the individual uni entry requirements and see whether they specify a natural science (I think Durham and Birmingham do) :yep:
Reply 55
kiss_me_now9
Not necessarily... I'm not familiar with all the courses, but very few Biology A levels include a lot of work on the brain. That's the only thing that's relevant, really.

However, some uni's don't accept Psychology as a science, so if the OP has an idea where s/he'd like to go, they should check the individual uni entry requirements and see whether they specify a natural science (I think Durham and Birmingham do) :yep:

My biology A level meant that I already knew about transmission of the nerve impulse, how signals cross the synapse, how different types of drugs and neurotransmitters work, some of the functions of parts of the brain, the divisions of the nervous system as well as experimental methodology- all of which came in use.

I realise that prospectuses say what grades are required and what subjects are acceptable but bear in mind that there are more than enough people applying with the right number of predicted A levels. At the end of the day it is a competition and having a biology A level will give you a better edge.
Katie_louise
My biology A level meant that I already knew about transmission of the nerve impulse, how signals cross the synapse, how different types of drugs and neurotransmitters work, some of the functions of parts of the brain, the divisions of the nervous system as well as experimental methodology- all of which came in use.

I realise that prospectuses say what grades are required and what subjects are acceptable but bear in mind that there are more than enough people applying with the right number of predicted A levels. At the end of the day it is a competition and having a biology A level will give you a better edge.

But not for all universities :dontknow: I gave up Biology at GCSE and haven't had any problems in my application (apart from the college ******* up my GCSE maths re-take prediction, which ultimately proved to be a bigger problem) A strong academic profile and a great personal statement minus Biology A level will stand you in better stead for a place than a mediocre academic profile with Biology.
kiss_me_now9
A strong academic profile and a great personal statement minus Biology A level will stand you in better stead for a place than a mediocre academic profile with Biology.

i'm hoping this proves to be true! but i agree with what was said earlier about a lot of people applying with the "right" a levels but i'm not sure. i guess it depends on results but i don't know if i should continue with biology if i don't enjoy it/don't have the motivation to work really hard in it.. argh
hellogoodbye24
i'm hoping this proves to be true! but i agree with what was said earlier about a lot of people applying with the "right" a levels but i'm not sure. i guess it depends on results but i don't know if i should continue with biology if i don't enjoy it/don't have the motivation to work really hard in it.. argh

Go with what you want to do, and what you can get the best results in.
Reply 59
kiss_me_now9
But not for all universities :dontknow: I gave up Biology at GCSE and haven't had any problems in my application (apart from the college ******* up my GCSE maths re-take prediction, which ultimately proved to be a bigger problem) A strong academic profile and a great personal statement minus Biology A level will stand you in better stead for a place than a mediocre academic profile with Biology.

The OP said they were possibly applying to york, which has a very competitive psychology course. Obviously good grades AND the right subjects would be best, but as I said, I suspect a B in biology will be more sought after than an A/A* in art or french.

Quick Reply