The Student Room Group

Canadian Applicants?

Hey, I'm actually not an undergrad exactly, but I want to apply for law as a second BA. I know that they look at high school grades, but unfortunately, I didn't study in the UK for high school. In Canada, exams that are along the lines of GCSEs or A-levels are provincial exams. I was wondering if anybody completed high school in Canada and are doing law or planning to do law. If so, what are the usual requirements?? I'm planning to apply to Bristol, Birmingham and possibly Cambridge. Thanks :smile:
Reply 1
Hi,

I left Canada after grade 10 so I am not quite certain, and all my Canadian friends either did the Ontario program plus the IB or already have a BA from a University in Canada. I know though that you can apply, as for the requirements I am only certain about Ontario results. Which province are you in?
Reply 2
UniWarwick
Hi,

I left Canada after grade 10 so I am not quite certain, and all my Canadian friends either did the Ontario program plus the IB or already have a BA from a University in Canada. I know though that you can apply, as for the requirements I am only certain about Ontario results. Which province are you in?

Yea, in Ontario they have the IB unlike British Columbia, where I'm in. There, we have provincial examinations for different subjects.
JKwan
Yea, in Ontario they have the IB unlike British Columbia, where I'm in. There, we have provincial examinations for different subjects.

I'm from Toronto, and we have provincial (Grade 12) exams. There are only a handful of schools in Ontario that do IB.

I got into a few schools in the UK with only my Ontario Grade 12 exams. Although, I was applying to medicine, not law.

If you want to know anything else about applying and UCAS from a Canadian's perspective, let me know. Hope that helps! :smile:
Reply 4
matthew.fong
I'm from Toronto, and we have provincial (Grade 12) exams. There are only a handful of schools in Ontario that do IB.

I got into a few schools in the UK with only my Ontario Grade 12 exams. Although, I was applying to medicine, not law.

If you want to know anything else about applying and UCAS from a Canadian's perspective, let me know. Hope that helps! :smile:

That really helps, thanks a lot. What uni are u at? And if you don't mind, around what score do you think they are looking at for provincials?
JKwan
That really helps, thanks a lot. What uni are u at? And if you don't mind, around what score do you think they are looking at for provincials?

I am going to Leeds this year. Unlike Canadian universities which put most emphasis on marks, and little on anything else, UK unis consider your marks, PS, and referee extensively.

If you have great marks and poor extracurriculars, you have an okay chance of getting in. If you have good marks, and great extracurriculars, you have a better chance of getting in.

That being said, for medicine (And I imagine law is equally competitive) most schools need AAB/ABB or for Oxbridge (Oxford and Cambridge), AAA. There really is no mathematical equation to convert that to percent, but that is no less than 90s I would imagine.
Reply 6
matthew.fong
I am going to Leeds this year. Unlike Canadian universities which put most emphasis on marks, and little on anything else, UK unis consider your marks, PS, and referee extensively.

If you have great marks and poor extracurriculars, you have an okay chance of getting in. If you have good marks, and great extracurriculars, you have a better chance of getting in.

That being said, for medicine (And I imagine law is equally competitive) most schools need AAB/ABB or for Oxbridge (Oxford and Cambridge), AAA. There really is no mathematical equation to convert that to percent, but that is no less than 90s I would imagine.

Canadian Universities consider far more than British Universities in my opinion, I recall filling out pages about past work experience, current extra curricular activities, and so on. Whereas for UCAS it is all condensed into a personal statement. Also the A levels tend to be identical for students applying to universities of a certain standard, so PS is used to differentiate them, so their might also be less of a need in Canada since the Ontario grades take the form of percentages which are far more variant than a combination 3 grades in the form of letters.
UniWarwick
Canadian Universities consider far more than British Universities in my opinion, I recall filling out pages about past work experience, current extra curricular activities, and so on. Whereas for UCAS it is all condensed into a personal statement. Also the A levels tend to be identical for students applying to universities of a certain standard, so PS is used to differentiate them, so their might also be less of a need in Canada since the Ontario grades take the form of percentages which are far more variant than a combination 3 grades in the form of letters.

What universities did you apply to?!?! Last time I checked, all the universities look at marks only (In Ontario at least). No statement, no reference, just marks submitted electronically. Are you a brit, uniwarwick?
Reply 8
I am Canadian. I applied to Queens, U of T, and Mcgill. I was accepted by all of them.
UniWarwick
I am Canadian. I applied to Queens, U of T, and Mcgill. I was accepted by all of them.

That's bizzare. Did you apply for a specialized program (Health Sciences)? :confused:
Reply 10
matthew.fong
That's bizzare. Did you apply for a specialized program (Health Sciences)? :confused:

Politics and History, the application form as well as the application process for student's who are abroad is very different.

Latest

Trending

Trending