The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Trousers
Surely he didn't think using the phrase "wallowing in ridiculousness" would make him look better...?

No, he didn't.

:smile:
Trousers
Surely he didn't think using the phrase "wallowing in ridiculousness" would make him look better...?

...good point.

Mind you, clumsy English is often a failed attempt to look good.
dogtanian
...good point.

Mind you, clumsy English is often a failed attempt to look good.

Sometimes it's just clumsy.
Invisible&Proud
Sometimes it's just clumsy.

Or it can be very knowing. I think that's the one you were going for.

dogtanian
Or it can be very knowing. I think that's the one you were going for.

hehe, i understand how you thought that.

As you don't know me, you'll have to take my word for it when i say it really wasn't an attempt to look knowledgable.

I wasn't sitting for hours thinking of the most histrionic way to express myself, i just *herm* suffer from the tendency to embellish language at times. I blame books.
Ah, fair enough.

Decided to stick with the girlie then?
dogtanian
Ah, fair enough.

Decided to stick with the girlie then?

Oh yes, there was never any doubt that we were giving it a go. She's too amazing a person to let fade out of my life. I really just wanted to sound off a few exasperations and see what other people thought about the situation.
Reply 27
I think it is worth giving them a try but be realistic about the fact that it might not. I went to canada for four months and then Uni for three years whilst with my boyfriend (who stayed at home) and now I am about to move in with him at last! Well worth the wait!
dont go for long distance relationships, i was in one once and it did not work. I got to worried she was cheating, and theres a lack of communication. Just go for a normal one, where you can see the person often.
Reply 29
go for it! you seem to really like this girl and if you both trust one another then distance won't matter! in reality, 5 months is not very long at all and as long as you both have contact with one another i am sure you will be fine! it will be difficult at the time but when you get back your relationship will be so much stronger if you have survived it! i have been in a long term relationship for a year now and although it can be really hard some days i trust him and he trusts me so it's all good! hope it goes well for you, good luck!
Reply 30
From my experience, being in a long distance relationship felt like a rollercoaster because I really didnt know where I stood until it was over. I'm not a very emotional person but my long distance relationship really put that to the test and failed. Though mine didnt work, I do still believe it can provided both of the people in the relationship want it enough.
I think it's always worth giving it a go. Trust isn't an issue. If you don't trust someone enough to be in a long distance relationship with them, you really shouldn't be in any kind of a relationship with them at all.
Hmmm. By the time I go to uni in October, I'll have been going out with my girlfriend for over a year. Seems sort of stupid to break up just because I'm moving a few hours away. She'll still be where I live (in the year below me), and we both trust each other not to cheat. If I do meet someone at uni, I can definitely say I'd break up with her before even thinking about doing anything with this new person. In the end, I imagine it all boils down to daring to be honest, and having the strength of mind to think that some things are probably worth more than a quick shag.
Reply 33
My b/f and I have made it work for a year (including my first year at uni, over 300 miles from him) and while the time apart is very difficult we get to spend long periods of time together during the holidays, which balances it out for us but wouldn't work for everyone. It really does depend on what kind of people you are and how committed both of you are to making it work.

It would be easy to give up if there was no end to the separation in sight, but as we have long-term plans for the relationship then it's easier to be patient, almost as if we were working towards a goal which will make it all worthwhile. /cheesy

In conclusion, I'm quite neutral about LDR's...only the couple themselves can tell whether it will work out for them and their situation or not, and it's not for outsiders to judge.
a LDR can only work if you have great faith in the other person and a long-term desire to be with them...
I myself have tried it for over a year and the main things that make it difficult are the suspicions, accusations of cheating etc, aswell as the obvious fact that you will miss them terribly....
but even so, if you love the person, a LDR can mean a chance to keep all the wonderful elements of a romantic relationship aswell as perhaps making it more serious...
Right now I'm finding it hard to be away from my gf for a few days...and I cant begin to imagine how hard it will be if I'm away from her for 4 months :frown: . I'm off to Cardiff (hopefully) and she's goin to Southampton, so the distance isnt TOO large. I really want to be with her and if circumstances were different, I'd consider being with her more "permanently" LoL. :biggrin:

As it is, I have to deal with what's going to happen and I've come to the conclusion that there's really nothing you can do about it right now and you have to wait to see if things pan out.

One more thing that annoys me is when older people, say parents for example think that your relationship is just a "fling" when in fact youre thinking about very serious things. It does get to me, especially when many parents were MARRIED at our age! C'uh! What a crazy world!

Anyhoo, those ^ are my thoughts. If I'm rambling, hit me.

M@

Latest

Trending

Trending