The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I think that everyone is putting too much stock in GCSES - my sister got into Cambridge with AAAAAABCDD (she failed maths the first time :O and got double D's in science)

So if you're on track getting A's at A level then you should be fine - if you look at the prospectus for Oxbridge for example, they do say that they understand when kids do waaaaaay better at A level then GCSE.

Anyway, good luck!
Reply 21
Hannah124
:smile: Hey guys,
need a bit if help. I'm 16 and doing A-Levels in:
- Biology
- Chemistry
- Geogrpahy
- Philosophy & Religion
- General Studies
I'm working at A's in all of them.
I have done key skills (level 3) in Communication and next year I am doing the EPQ. I am doing a St Johns Ambulance course in May. I run an art club once weekly for children and I volunteer in a nursing home once weekly. I do aerobics outside of college.
However my GCSEs were moderate: 1A*,7As and 3Bs. (Bs in maths and double science). My tutors said that this won't so much matter because I'm doing well at A-Level and they can put a reference in saying why I underperfomed at GCSE.
If I ace the UKCAT what do you guys think my chances are?
thinking of applying to four of:
Manchester, Liverpool, keele, Leeds, QMUL, Peninsula, Durham.
Thanks in advance :smile:

Ps I did think of doing biochemistry first and then doing graduate entry medicine, do you think this would be the best option or should I just apply to medicine first time round?

I know liverpool score A*s and As exactly the same (ie the same number of points are allocated to each grade) - so you have 1 A* and 7 As - but will be ranked the same - in terms of GCSEs, as someone who got 8 A*s - as they only take your top 8 anyway...
MasterCress
I think that everyone is putting too much stock in GCSES - my sister got into Cambridge with AAAAAABCDD (she failed maths the first time :O and got double D's in science)

So if you're on track getting A's at A level then you should be fine - if you look at the prospectus for Oxbridge for example, they do say that they understand when kids do waaaaaay better at A level then GCSE.

Anyway, good luck!

This is true to an extent, however some universities have GCSE requirements that, if you don't meet, mean an automatic rejection. So it's important to shop around, as it were.
vertigo.0012
After 5 years at Keele medical school, you will be able to become a doctor. It is not "bad".

As I understand it, Keele is PBL - a method of teaching used by loaaaads of other schools, including Peninsula, HYMS, Manchester, etc etc, with lots of success. Just because something is differently doesn't mean it is bad - I'd recommend you research into the different styles and choose what is best for you.

I don't know the details, a med student told me and he didn't want to say exactly why. I will research every uni a apply for of course so I know what to expect.
the only problem i can see is if you can't achieve A's in your science because you did double and a lot of triple stuff is a given at A-level. if you're on course for A's then i wouldn't worry, just use your 5th choice wisely!!
Reply 25
Muddy91
I know liverpool score A*s and As exactly the same (ie the same number of points are allocated to each grade) - so you have 1 A* and 7 As - but will be ranked the same - in terms of GCSEs, as someone who got 8 A*s - as they only take your top 8 anyway...

That's really good to know, thanks :smile:
Reply 26
MasterCress

Anyway, good luck!

Reply 27
Hannah124
:smile: Hey guys,
need a bit if help. I'm 16 and doing A-Levels in:
- Biology
- Chemistry
- Geogrpahy
- Philosophy & Religion
- General Studies
I'm working at A's in all of them.
I have done key skills (level 3) in Communication and next year I am doing the EPQ. I am doing a St Johns Ambulance course in May. I run an art club once weekly for children and I volunteer in a nursing home once weekly. I do aerobics outside of college.
However my GCSEs were moderate: 1A*,7As and 3Bs. (Bs in maths and double science). My tutors said that this won't so much matter because I'm doing well at A-Level and they can put a reference in saying why I underperfomed at GCSE.
If I ace the UKCAT what do you guys think my chances are?
thinking of applying to four of:
Manchester, Liverpool, keele, Leeds, QMUL, Peninsula, Durham.
Thanks in advance :smile:

Ps I did think of doing biochemistry first and then doing graduate entry medicine, do you think this would be the best option or should I just apply to medicine first time round?

How come you keep posting the same question multiple times claiming to be 16 and worrying about your GCSEs and getting into medicine, when last week you claimed to have had 3 interviews for dentistry? :confused:

Reply 28
Thread closed. You've made enough threads asking this same question that you should know by now that your GCSEs are fine for medicine provided you are sensible about where you apply (look in the medicine wiki for GCSE requirements, use the individual uni websites etc)

Latest

Trending

Trending