The Student Room Group
it depends how many assesments there are as they are all equally weighed...however, I daresay your exam is usually the one that determines your grade
Reply 2
Well if you're talking Language which I presume you are. It's 20% of your total marks :/

So if you get full marks in everything, you're still only getting 80%. And most papers to get an A* you need 49/54 which is about 90%. So I don't think you can.
Reply 3
infernalcradle
it depends how many assesments there are as they are all equally weighed...however, I daresay your exam is usually the one that determines your grade

Okay, I just found out it's worth 20%.
If I don't do the assesment, will that completely f--k up any chance I have of getting an A*?
effyeffyeffy
Okay, I just found out it's worth 20%.
If I don't do the assesment, will that completely f--k up any chance I have of getting an A*?

if both speaing and listening together are worth 20%...yes

if al assesments are 20% (say you have 5)...you lose 8%....but you would have to do almost full marks in the other assesments and the exam....

in english...A* is usually high 80s-low 90s
Reply 5
infernalcradle
if both speaing and listening together are worth 20%...yes

if al assesments are 20% (say you have 5)...you lose 8%....but you would have to do almost full marks in the other assesments and the exam....

in english...A* is usually high 80s-low 90s

"Speaking & Listening" comes under one assessment, and that one assessment it worth 20% of my grade.

So what grade would I have to get in the S&L to get A* overall (assuming I was to get A* for the other coursework {20%} and the exams {60%})?
effyeffyeffy
"Speaking & Listening" comes under one assessment, and that one assessment it worth 20% of my grade.

So what grade would I have to get in the S&L to get A* overall (assuming I was to get A* for the other coursework {20%} and the exams {60%})?

if we assume you get...

20% in other cw...
55% in exam...

thats 75%....you would need to get around 12-16% to get the A*
Reply 7
effyeffyeffy

You'd have to get 50% of the speaking and listening which is 10% of the actual grade as the English boundaries are always at around 90% and would only ever move by 1 or 2%.
Reply 8
Someone in my class couldn't do the speaking and listening on the exam day.. but she got A*'s in all courseworks.. and asked whether she could get it.. the answer was no.
Teacher didn't think it was possible because of the weightings of each exam but the girl is being allowed to do speaking and listening and the teacher will mark it.. so will probably get A* in the end.
I'm not 100% sure and my teacher isn't that good.. so don't take my word for it!
Why are you not doing the speaking/listening??
:smile:
Why don't you just do your speaking and listening and save yourself a whole lot of hassle and risk? It's the easiest 20% of GCSE English...
NattyNat02
Someone in my class couldn't do the speaking and listening on the exam day.. but she got A*'s in all courseworks.. and asked whether she could get it.. the answer was no.
Teacher didn't think it was possible because of the weightings of each exam but the girl is being allowed to do speaking and listening and the teacher will mark it.. so will probably get A* in the end.
I'm not 100% sure and my teacher isn't that good.. so don't take my word for it!
Why are you not doing the speaking/listening??
:smile:

Ridiculously intense fear of public speaking. I end up having a panic attack.
Reply 11
effyeffyeffy
Ridiculously intense fear of public speaking. I end up having a panic attack.

O dear..
well i'm sure you'll get an A which is good enough really!!
we did speaking/listening in pairs in front of the examiner.. it wasn't as bad as we thought cause it was quite a relaxed atmosphere..
Did your teachers not suggest anything to you or did you really not want to do anything?
NattyNat02
O dear..
well i'm sure you'll get an A which is good enough really!!
we did speaking/listening in pairs in front of the examiner.. it wasn't as bad as we thought cause it was quite a relaxed atmosphere..
Did your teachers not suggest anything to you or did you really not want to do anything?

An A really isn't good enough for me :/ I want to do my degree in English Literature at one of the top universities.
Luckily, my teacher's given me another option which I think I might be able to comply with :smile: hopefully.
Reply 13
Can't you just do the Speaking and Listening in front of your teacher, and only your teacher? I don't know the actual rules regarding S&L but I'd have thought you could do.
Reply 14
chiggy321
Can't you just do the Speaking and Listening in front of your teacher, and only your teacher? I don't know the actual rules regarding S&L but I'd have thought you could do.

You should be able to.
My three assessments for S&L were
- "Pretend" Job interview with two teachers
- "CD" about your life with just my teacher
- "Of mice and men" talk which was with a mate + teacher :smile:.

Latest