Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Xbox or PS3 - which one should I buy?!

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zakky)
    OP: 360 is more for casual cheaper gaming.

@kultist, how can you say there are more decent games for xbox than PS2?
    Halo is as awesome today as it was when it came out, and I'd argue it well outlasted it's sequels in terms of playing quality. Jet Set Radio Future never lost any of it's sheen. Amped still plays like a dream, and had a soundtrack of emo and indie before they both became crap.

On the other hand, most PS2 games have just lost their glamour. Look at the difference between Canis Canem Edit and Bully: Scholarship Edition, the former looks positively ugly compared to the latter. The racing and fighting games have always been built on better graphics and animation so they are done better on the modern day tech instead, so none of those games really carry over from the PS2. After the Xbox had been on the scene a few years, I just couldn't see the appeal of the PS2 tbh.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have a PS3, and I would recommend an Xbox.

Yes the graphics are better on the PlayStation, but that doesn't mean squat if it breaks down all the time. Mine has, all my friends' ones have, and so have dozens of people on a forum http://www.product-reviews.net/produ...-reading-disk/ It's not worth the extra cost.

It also depends on whether you'll be going online much. PS3 online is free, whereas Xbox live is subscription based. But now people are complaining that they're PS3s crash when they go online now, so it seems that if you pay peanuts, you get...crap, really.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    well the ps3 is definitely better value for money but at the end of the day it boils down to the exlclusives, so essentially its god of war 3, gran turismo 5, metal gear solid 4, uncharted 1&2, ratchet and clank, killzone 2 and heavy rain VS halo, gears of war, splinter cell conviction, alan wake, mass effect 1&2, left for dead and forza. whichever set of exlucisves you prefer, you should go for that system, since it's unlikely you'll see those set of games if you get the other system, with the exception of metal gear solid, mass effect, and splinter cell which have been rumoured to go multiplat in future installments.

(Original post by cowleya)
    I have a PS3, and I would recommend an Xbox.

Yes the graphics are better on the PlayStation, but that doesn't mean squat if it breaks down all the time. Mine has, all my friends' ones have, and so have dozens of people on a forum http://www.product-reviews.net/produ...-reading-disk/ It's not worth the extra cost.

It also depends on whether you'll be going online much. PS3 online is free, whereas Xbox live is subscription based. But now people are complaining that they're PS3s crash when they go online now, so it seems that if you pay peanuts, you get...crap, really.
    oh please, if it's a question of reliability then the ps3 wins hands down and i'm sure many 360 fanboys will agree as well considering the all too common RRoD.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Personally: Xbox.
    But if you have friends then get what they have.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    even though i dont own one (pc gamer ftw) um yeah...

err the ps3 because recently one developer came out and said that they had to cut down the content of the game because of the limited size for dvd
    most games wont have this problem for awhile but it is a serious issue for them cause games are only gona get bigger
    just my opinion feel free to disagree
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd go for Xbox if they didn't have such a terrible failure rate, saying that my ps3 failed but it was the phat one. The new one seems fine. Games-wise, the ps3's just starting to get into its stride!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gildartz)

oh please, if it's a question of reliability then the ps3 wins hands down and i'm sure many 360 fanboys will agree as well considering the all too common RRoD.
    True, but repair is free and quick for xbox. (But rightly so if it's going to continually fail)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, Sony are $hit when it comes to taking responsibility. They wanted something like £140 to repair it out of warranty even though I hadn't misused it.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gingerrninja)
    even though i dont own one (pc gamer ftw) um yeah...

err the ps3 because recently one developer came out and said that they had to cut down the content of the game because of the limited size for dvd
    most games wont have this problem for awhile but it is a serious issue for them cause games are only gona get bigger
    just my opinion feel free to disagree
    It was Capcom saying it about lost planet 2, and it was more of a way to justify having paid DLC after launch.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Have owned both at the same time and would say PS3 anyday. Xbox has nothing going for it other than cheaper to buy but then you've got Live to pay for.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoyo462001)
    It was Capcom saying it about lost planet 2, and it was more of a way to justify having paid DLC after launch.
    yeah i read the article and i disagree with the dlc bit the point of them coming out and saying this was they felt they were limited by the size of the platform and although they skirted round the question they did hint that they thought lost planet 2 could have been a better game
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gingerrninja)
    yeah i read the article and i disagree with the dlc bit the point of them coming out and saying this was they felt they were limited by the size of the platform and although they skirted round the question they did hint that they thought lost planet 2 could have been a better game
    They were saying that it literally ripped them to shreds taking the content out. If it really did they would have

A. Used more than 1 disc
    B. Let the PS3 version have all the content
    C. Made it Free DLC day one.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peachz)
    you're gna get a thousand xbox vs ps3 replies but...

Personally, I reckon PS3. Its got a blu-ray player and generally superior graphics. Even if you get bored of gaming, like I have, the black design looks good compared to that awful cream colour xbox has. With the likes of God of War 3 and Gran Torismo coming out this year - and being able to play the majority of the popular games that have come out in recent years, PS3 every time.
    I agree, for the money you get a lot. Blu Ray players cost a heck of a lot on their own anyway. Graphics wise PS3 is better than 360, free online gameplay where 360 you have to pay £40 per year. PS3 has a controller with a charger... 360 uses batteries also PS3 has a nicer user interface.

I own both consoles and prefer PS3 by a fair bit.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    A PS3 simply because I like it.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M1F2R3)
    I agree, for the money you get a lot. Blu Ray players cost a heck of a lot on their own anyway. Graphics wise PS3 is better than 360, free online gameplay where 360 you have to pay £40 per year. PS3 has a controller with a charger... 360 uses batteries also PS3 has a nicer user interface.

I own both consoles and prefer PS3 by a fair bit.
    I dont like when people use the graphics things, because it really does depend on the game. When you say PS3 has better graphics, non-informed people think thats across the board. When in reality 90% of multiplatform games look and run better on the 360. I would also say being free doesn't intrinsically make its online better however i'd argue if you really just wanted to go on a game and play, the ps3 would be better. However if you want a well integrated online experience Live certainly offers the best experience.

Whether you prefer NXE of XMB will be subjective thing off course.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    flip a coin, these days they are pretty much equal. Back when I bought my Xbox in early 2007 you would have had to have been an idiot to consider buying a PS3. Just don't get a wii for god's sake.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Echoing pretty much everyone's sentiments, PS3 all the way.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    A PS3 because it sounds better than a 'Xbox'.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Xbox because there are better and more games out on it
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Definitley PS3. Its got blue ray, inbuilt wifi, free online play and is just better value for money. Xbox break after a while and its not worth its price.
Updated: March 9, 2010
Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.