The Student Room Group

I'm freaking out about all this now!! help!!!

okay, well basically i'm currently doing as levels year 12 etc, i do chem bio physics and philosophy. i have 1 week s/a clinic, many years at a riding school & liveries. 1 week rda, 1 week mixed farm. im going lambing at the end of this month, small animal breeder once a week, and then back to the small animal vets, back to the mixed farm and then a placement at the dogs trust! and i'm currently trying to sort out calving as well..

but my friend who has a lot of work experience and predicted 3 A*'s has just been rejected from all 4! so i've heard about courses where you can do a year at vet school and then switch over but i'm not sure what it is!!

help meee and shoot me with advice :biggrin:

thankyou! x
Lucy_x
okay, well basically i'm currently doing as levels year 12 etc, i do chem bio physics and philosophy. i have 1 week s/a clinic, many years at a riding school & liveries. 1 week rda, 1 week mixed farm. im going lambing at the end of this month, small animal breeder once a week, and then back to the small animal vets, back to the mixed farm and then a placement at the dogs trust! and i'm currently trying to sort out calving as well..

but my friend who has a lot of work experience and predicted 3 A*'s has just been rejected from all 4! so i've heard about courses where you can do a year at vet school and then switch over but i'm not sure what it is!!

help meee and shoot me with advice :biggrin:

thankyou! x

I'm confused, why would you want to transfer out of vet med?
Reply 2
ignore double post :s-smilie:
OP you could probably do with more work experience with different types of vets. Other than that there will have been a reason your friend was rejected but it is very competitive and many people have to reapply but we have no way of telling it on this forum! as for the other courses im guessing you mean anatomical sciences, veterinary sciences etc- these are quite common at unis but im not sure how easy it is to transfer to the main vet course after just 1 year at many places.
Reply 4
TooSexyForMyStethoscope
I'm confused, why would you want to transfer out of vet med?

if i don't get accepted i mean
Lucy_x

reapply!!
Lucy_x

Tranfers are possible but not there are not guaranteed places. I mean, vet med schools are allowed a set number of places say 102 or something per year, you could only hope to get a transfer if someone dropped out/thrown out etc.
Reply 7
Lucy_x

Hey :smile:

Generally people aim for liverpool's minimum of 6 weeks animal related work exp and 4 weeks vets. Even if you don't apply to liv, loads of people will have that much so its worth getting at least 10 weeks. Lambing,dairy, kennels, la/sa practice, stables etc. :smile:
Grades I think are min. ABB (or AAB?) at alevel but aim for AAA which I think is what most uni's want, or A*AA for cambridge :rolleyes:
The 6-year courses are at RVC (and notts i think). They make lower offers of like C's or B's but you need to be getting EMA, state school, 1st to go to uni etc. and its pretty competitive.
Sorry i'm not much help, sure someone else will post who knows a bit more, i'm in the same position as you so GOOD LUCK :smile: theres a 2011 thread for ppl applying in sept as well on here. Loads of lovely ppl there. :smile:
Reply 8
TooSexyForMyStethoscope
Tranfers are possible but not there are not guaranteed places. I mean, vet med schools are allowed a set number of places say 102 or something per year, you could only hope to get a transfer if someone dropped out/thrown out etc.

I would go so far as to say transfers, to all intents and purposes are not possible. They *may* be the once in a blue moon case, but basically it won't happen. Most year groups, from people I know at vet school will lose a few people, but none of them seem to be replaced. Even just starting two weeks late would mean a lot of catching up, and just isn't going to happen. The year groups just end up slightly smaller.

Latest

Trending

Trending