The Student Room Group

Football Vs Rugby? Is It Boys Vs Men??

Scroll to see replies

dancingshoes10
Good comeback, must have taken a lot of intelligence and brain power to come up with that one.

I think that showing up the inherent similarities between both rugby and football players and using that as platform to show why it is ridiculous to try and elevate one set while degrading another is a very good comeback, personally.

What wouldn't have been would be for me to dismiss it as a lack of effort and as such not address the point, as you so beautifully demonstrated.
Reply 121
BandManDan
For the same reason you watch films like Troy, Rocky and Preditor as opposed to Legally Blonde or St Trinians. Or why you watch rugby and boxing as opposed to netball or bowls. It's a bit like the modern day gladiators, only without the killing.

Don't get me wrong, I like to watch a good football game, but it is ruined completely by diving. I watched a few games from the Africa Cup Of Nations and the diving culture didn't seem to exist at all (in the games I saw) and it made the whole thing seem so much more real!

Ok, so you have confirmed here that you like to watch rugby because of it's manliness and brutality. That is quite frankly laughable.

And as for the 'diving', have you watched a football match recently? The ratio of dives to matches is probably less than 1. Diving is a rarity. I think you may notice when footballers go to ground more because when rugby players go to ground it's almost always play on, but with football kicking someone is illegal and rightly so; so obviously the play is stopped.

You should watch sport for enjoyment rather than it's apparent toughness, you might just like it.
BandManDan

So, how do you account for player brutality in rugby like eye gouging and spear tackles? The sort of men who probably beat the crap out of their wives and girlfriends by the sounds of it. Rather amusing that women are attracted to such displays of gender performance.

As for you analogy with films, people watch different films for different reasons. Some guys are able to appreciate films other than overly masculine, homoerotic films like 300. Try watching A Beautiful Mind, Lord of the Rings, The Green Mile and Shawshank Redemption. If I wanted to watch hours and hours of overly masculine entertainment, I'd watch repeats of The Shield.
Reply 123
jelementality
legendary lol and true:biggrin:

These photos may have been tongue in cheek but my god the people taking them seriously. *facepalm*
Reply 124
dancingshoes10
Yes, it is boys v men. I hate the fact that the football boys can kick a football round, fake injury, cry and get away with being thick as sh*t just because they're a footballer.

Your right, Ramsey was just rolling around cos he liked the smell of the grass.
Who cares that the Rugby boys are harder, people try to paint them as gents but they cheat just as much
Reply 126
NDGAARONDI
So, how do you account for player brutality in rugby like eye gouging and spear tackles? The sort of men who probably beat the crap out of their wives and girlfriends by the sounds of it. Rather amusing that women are attracted to such displays of gender performance.

As for you analogy with films, people watch different films for different reasons. Some guys are able to appreciate films other than overly masculine, homoerotic films like 300. Try watching A Beautiful Mind, Lord of the Rings, The Green Mile and Shawshank Redemption. If I wanted to watch hours and hours of overly masculine entertainment, I'd watch repeats of The Shield.

All good films, but if you fancy watching something more masculine then you watch something like that, or rugby. What's so hard to comprehend about that?

As for the wife beating; George Best was good at that, as are many other footballers. But their morals are not what the thread is about, you're getting sidetracked. :rolleyes:
Reply 127
silent
Ok, so you have confirmed here that you like to watch rugby because of it's manliness and brutality. That is quite frankly laughable.
QUOTE]

Well done Sherlock! How much analysing did it take to come to that unexpected conclusion? :rolleyes:

Sounds to me like you should step down from that high horse. People like things for different reasons. I like the masculinity of rugby, I like the elelment of competition, camaraderie and sportsmanship. I like the us V's them aspect. Why is that so laughable? :confused:
BandManDan
All good films, but if you fancy watching something more masculine then you watch something like that, or rugby. What's so hard to comprehend about that?

Brutality does not make a film good. Talent does.
Reply 129
Phalanges
Brutality does not make a film good. Talent does.

Of course :biggrin: But I didn't say it did. I said the films listed by NDGAARONDI were good films.
BandManDan
Of course :biggrin: But I didn't say it did. I said the films listed by NDGAARONDI were good films.

No, but you said originally that it was the same reason you'd watch Gladiator as opposed to Legally Blonde.

It's very easy to make comparisons between two genres when the major determinant is the quality of the film. For instance, I would rather watch Citizen Kane than Die Hard 3 - doesn't make me a pansy.
Reply 131
Phalanges
Do you disagree that there are more violent rugby players than footballers? If you do, it's kind of at odds with the "they are well hard, compared to pansy footballers that cry lol" mentality that a lot of posters seem to have.

As for the whole chav aspect of your post, you don't seem capable of understanding the sentence "I think more chavs should take it up". He never suggested that chavs generally play rugby. So really it's your competence that should be called into question based on your incomprehension of his post.

Again, I think you're confused :biggrin:

I said that when you think of a chav, you associate them with football. I.e. most football hooligans are chavs. I'm not saying all football fans are chavs, nor did I imply that I took the comment to mean chavs play rugby! So really it's your competence that should be called into question based on your incomprehension of his post. :smile:
Reply 132
Phalanges
No, but you said originally that it was the same reason you'd watch Gladiator as opposed to Legally Blonde.

It's very easy to make comparisons between two genres when the major determinant is the quality of the film. For instance, I would rather watch Citizen Kane than Die Hard 3 - doesn't make me a pansy.

I would say the sport equivilent of Citizen Kane would be something like F1? long winded and psychologically taxing, both a good film and a good sport. Die Hard 3 would possibly be American Football? Either way, you choose a film by its category. If you take a girl to the cinema for a date you wouldn't watch an action/thriller, you'd probably go for a romantic comedy. My point was I watch a sport depending on what I want from it. If I want a manly sport I watch Rugby, if I want to watch something less physically demanding and a little bit 'fake' I watch football. Easy.
Reply 133
facepalm at these film analogies.
BandManDan
I said that when you think of a chav, you associate them with football. I.e. most football hooligans are chavs.

All hooligans are chavs by their very nature. It is true that football still has problems with thuggery with fans, but rugby has more problems with it on the pitch. But, given that the average attendance of football matches a year outweigh rugby by about 15 times, comparisons can be difficult.
Reply 135
NDGAARONDI
All hooligans are chavs by their very nature. It is true that football still has problems with thuggery with fans, but rugby has more problems with it on the pitch. But, given that the average attendance of football matches a year outweigh rugby by about 15 times, comparisons can be difficult.

I don't agree with the sly stuff on the pitch, but that happens equally in both sports. I've never seen or heard of rugby fans rioting in the streets. If football fans out number rugby fans by 15 times, I think the ratio of riots would still be zero rugby fan riots to fifteen football fan riots.

When I went to Wembley the atmosphere was amazing, but it was also very intimidating when I was young, compared to when I went to Twickenham. Even though everyone seemed huge and many were drinking beer, there wasn't a single time I felt uneasy.

I find both games are fun to watch, depending on what you looking for.
BandManDan
I've never seen or heard of rugby fans rioting in the streets

Try Hull.
[QUOTE="BandManDan"]
silent
QUOTE]

Well done Sherlock! How much analysing did it take to come to that unexpected conclusion? :rolleyes:

Sounds to me like you should step down from that high horse. People like things for different reasons. I like the masculinity of rugby, I like the elelment of competition, camaraderie and sportsmanship. I like the us V's them aspect. Why is that so laughable? :confused:

Do you also love the nakedness, towel whipping and various homoerotic activies than comes with rugby team "camaraderie "?
Reply 138
[QUOTE="Awesome-o"]
BandManDan

Do you also love the nakedness, towel whipping and various homoerotic activies than comes with rugby team "camaraderie "?

They're the best bits :woo:
BandManDan
Don't take this too seriously but I'm just curious as to that question. I like football an I love rugby. I think I'd enjoy watching football more if they didn't fall over so much. I find it embarrassing. If my Dad had ever caught a glimpse of me falling over because someone tapped my foot he'd forever take the piss, so would my girlfriend.

Rugby 1 Football 0

I absolutely love football, grew up with it because my dad and brother are football mad too. So football will win for me in that respect.

However, from a girls perspective, rugby players win HANDS DOWN. :love: And rugby league beats rugby union (I used to work at Sale Sharks). Footballers just don't do it for me... too scrawny and effeminate. And you're right, seeing them fall over all the time is embarrassing. It ruins the beautiful game.

Football > Rugby
but
Rugby Players > Footballers.

Quick Reply

Latest