The Student Room Group

Accountancy & Finance or Computer Science?

Basically, I have been looking around UCAS etc. and have decided on two courses I would like to do: Accountancy and Finance or Computer Science (I guess in that order). I really like the idea of accountancy and finance, it sounds like fun, interesting and seems to have some really good job prospects. But then, I also like Computer Science, but although I like Computing at A Level I'm not sure I will continue to like it at university-having read prospectuses etc. it seems not to my taste. Whenever I ask people about Accountancy and Finance, they always seem to say it would be better to do Maths, but I hate non-applied Maths, so don't think doing Maths would be for me.

I will be studying at A2 Maths, Further Maths, Computing and either Biology or Physics (depending on how my summer results are), and I think these are probably the right choices for Accountancy and Finance. I'm predicted As/A*s in all of them.

My current top 5 prelim. choices for Accountancy and Finance are: Bath, Warwick, LSE, Exeter, Durham. If I got offers from all of them I would choose LSE firm, Bath or Durham insurance.

So basically what do you think I should do? Has anyone got any recommendations based on what they did, or have any alternative suggestions? Sorry I wrote quite a lot.
If you prefer Accounting and Finance then choose that :smile: (not being biased because I've chosen this course :p:)
samanthaaaa
If you prefer Accounting and Finance then choose that :smile: (not being biased because I've chosen this course :p:)

ok cheers. what are you doing for alevels?
titsmcgee
ok cheers. what are you doing for alevels?

Mathematics, Accounting and ICT (regret picking ICT though :shifty:)
ok so kind of similar to me. thanks for the help.
Reply 5
Both are reputable degrees with high mathematical content. Keep in mind CS maths is much more abstract at degree level than the Maths in Accounting and Finance, however A&F is a much more rounded degree as it will equip you with many business (Management, Finance, Accounts etc ) skills that are highly regarded by many employers.
gunner1986
Both are reputable degrees with high mathematical content. Keep in mind CS maths is much more abstract at degree level than the Maths in Accounting and Finance, however A&F is a much more rounded degree as it will equip you with many business (Management, Finance, Accounts etc ) skills that are highly regarded by many employers.

thats exactly why the decision is so hard, they both have applied maths, which is my favourite type of maths. but i agree finance would, i think, look better. your probably the best person to talk to as well, since you have done/are doing both!
Reply 7
titsmcgee
thats exactly why the decision is so hard, they both have applied maths, which is my favourite type of maths. but i agree finance would, i think, look better. your probably the best person to talk to as well, since you have done/are doing both!

What career do you have in mind?. CS maths is much more logic based than A&F, but the maths in A&F will definitely help you progress quicker and grasp fundamental elements of Investment Banking, and Accounting careers much quicker.

If you want the best of both worlds consider Economics and Computer Science combined honours.
gunner1986
What career do you have in mind?. CS maths is much more logic based than A&F, but the maths in A&F will definitely help you progress quicker and grasp fundamental elements of Investment Banking, and Accounting careers much quicker.

If you want the best of both worlds consider Economics and Computer Science combined honours.

i havent really decided, most likely something to do with consulting and finance. what do you think of the uni choices though (lse, durham, warwick, exeter, bath)?
Reply 9
titsmcgee
i havent really decided, most likely something to do with consulting and finance. what do you think of the uni choices though (lse, durham, warwick, exeter, bath)?

Both CS and A&F are highly regraded in the Finance sector :yes: With CS you could program Investment bank systems to calculate risk etc. I would say in your case though go for A&F as it's much more suited for career in financial consulting and you will probs have much more fun throughout the course due to CS being very boring at times.

Your uni choices are good, what are you planning to do at Exeter and Bath?
Always go for the course that interests you most

looking at your last post, they're all good choices, particularly LSE (their graduates have the highest average starting salaries of all unis and well located for summer internships)

those unis all look very prestigous, it would be advisable to choose unis with a wide range of offers (so if you find your A-level results aren't what you wanted, you can still get into one of your 5 unis)
Reply 11
LSE - Accounting and Finance - Win :smile: London exposure will help you a great deal.

Warwick - Accounting and Finance - Excellent business school!

Durham - Mediocre Business School.

Bath - Really good CS department!

Exeter - UCL would be a much better option for CS
gunner1986
LSE - Accounting and Finance - Win :smile: London exposure will help you a great deal.

Warwick - Accounting and Finance - Excellent business school!

Durham - Mediocre Business School.

Bath - Really good CS department!

Exeter - UCL would be a much better option for CS

so ive sort of gone mix and match :s-smilie:. so assuming I kept warwick and lse, which would you recommend as my other 3. ive been thinking about finance or CS, but having done Computing for so long at school, I think it would nice to take a break and try something different.
it would also be quite good if i wanted to work for pricewaterhousecoopers or somebody i guess
Reply 14
titsmcgee
so ive sort of gone mix and match :s-smilie:. so assuming I kept warwick and lse, which would you recommend as my other 3. ive been thinking about finance or CS, but having done Computing for so long at school, I think it would nice to take a break and try something different.

For Finance

1.Aston Business School
2.Manchester Business School
3.Bath

Latest

Trending

Trending