The Student Room Group

Bachelor of Laws... In the States?!

Okay, so I've been thinking...

In the States, you have to complete your undergraduate degree, majoring in Subject X (commonly) in a liberal arts programme, before you can apply to do to go to Law school (grad. school) and then become a lawyer... Correct?

Well, I was wondering... if I completed my undergrad. studies at King's (or any other UK university) and held a Bachelor of Laws degree in three or four year's time, would I be able to apply for grad. (Law) school in the States? In other words, would the Bachelor of Laws degree be recognised even if you can't technically start studying Law as an undergrad. in the States?

Anythings thoughts would be much appreciated.
What would be the point?

If you want to practice law in the states, why not do your UK degree in another subject and then apply for law school in the USA?
Reply 2
Pink Bullets
What would be the point?

If you want to practice law in the states, why not do your UK degree in another subject and then apply for law school in the USA?

I was thinking about versatility.. Like, maybe I could get a get a masters in law after my bachelors in the uk. And maybe work for a bit.. And then move to the states (I'm Taiwanese American). I was just wondering if my LLB degree would be recognised at all in the US. any thoughts? :smile:
lujustin
I was thinking about versatility.. Like, maybe I could get a get a masters in law after my bachelors in the uk. And maybe work for a bit.. And then move to the states (I'm Taiwanese American). I was just wondering if my LLB degree would be recognised at all in the US. any thoughts? :smile:

It would be recognised as a Bachelor's degree, obviously. So you'd be in the same position as anyone else applying to law school. I don't really understand why you think it'd be a problem!
Reply 4
Thanks for your replies :biggrin:

Pink Bullets:

Pink Bullets
I don't really understand why you think it'd be a problem!

I think that I was just unsure about whether it would be recognised because Law is not generally taught at an undergraduate level in the states. Therefore, I might be applying with an "uncommon" bachelor's degree. Thanks for clarifying, anyway.
Reply 5
From what I know, with a UK qualifying LLB, you can go the US and sit the bar exams in whichever state and you'll be qualified to practice in that state.

But again from what I've been told, passing state bar exams is no easy task, and apparently takes years of study (you probably know all this better than I). :dontknow:

But yeah, people do complete undergrad. UK LLBs and then head to America, very few however are successful in securing employment.

Latest

Trending

Trending