The Student Room Group

I am very worried that I may not get an acceptable grade in German

Hello,

I'm currently doing German A level and am worried about my chances of passing with a respectable grade. My knowledge of the grammar is good (I understand it readily) but my vocabulary is pathetic.

I was "rushed" through the GCSE by my school (we took less than a year to do it) and I somehow scraped an A*. I'm doing a past paper now and it's proving to be rather a struggle - especially with the lack of vocabulary and I'm wondering should I just drop it? I'm currently doing 5 AS (Maths, F.Maths, Chem, Phys + Ger) so I can drop it but should I resort to this? Judging by what I've done I can only really get a C max. and I really want to get into an AAAA uni (my other subjects are all A predictions).
At GCSE I got an A in German, after being in the same boat as you, we rushed the GCSE in a year (different circumstances, but still), and my vocab is still very poor.

However, I worked hard and got an A last year, if you really want it then you can do it. But if you don't want it, drop it now. Languages are not easy, so it'll be no good if you're not willing to really stick in.

Good luck! If you have any more questions just quote. :smile:
Reply 2
I feel your pain.

I do German A-Level and it is without a doubt the toughest subject I do. I however am the opposite of you- I always forget the grammar rules but have a stunning vocabulary.

My advice? stick it out. You have a few months left, and you might surprise yourself. I thought I was going to fail out completely, drop the subject and forget about the dative, subjunctive and pluperfect, but I got a C. Considering my universities are asking for B's, I looked at it, dropped a subject where I hated the teacher, and am now on target for a B.

My advice with the vocabulary would have to be to use it. I used to struggle with vocab lists until my teacher started using a method by which she'd take an article, find key words within said article, put them into a vocab list [by theme, with the most recent being homelessness, for example] and then have us find the words in the text then work them out through the context. I find this helps, so maybe try the same in some way?

Learning words in list form never really works, in my experience so try it.

Viel glück =]
Longorefisher
Hello,

I'm currently doing German A level and am worried about my chances of passing with a respectable grade. My knowledge of the grammar is good (I understand it readily) but my vocabulary is pathetic.

I was "rushed" through the GCSE by my school (we took less than a year to do it) and I somehow scraped an A*. I'm doing a past paper now and it's proving to be rather a struggle - especially with the lack of vocabulary and I'm wondering should I just drop it? I'm currently doing 5 AS (Maths, F.Maths, Chem, Phys + Ger) so I can drop it but should I resort to this? Judging by what I've done I can only really get a C max. and I really want to get into an AAAA uni (my other subjects are all A predictions).

Why not work on it this year, take the exams and see how you do and then sign up for AS German next year and repeat the year if you're not satisfied with your grade!
Reply 4
Languages aren't easy, and if you think your other grades would suffer, drop it. Unit 5 in Edexcel is hard, it's about books or topics, so you might struggle with that if you have a bad vocabulary. Well dne for getting an A* at GCSE though. That said, I'm German and did the A-level early (Edexcel), during my GCSEs because of it, so if you need help or something, PM me or write an e-mail etc. :wink:
Reply 5
Just sit and learn your vocab. Go through all the units, make lists of the words you don't know, sit down, learn them. You can do flash cards and all that stuff if you're finding it hard.

Don't drop it, if you've got A* at gcse you've clearly been doing something right.

Latest