The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Hiya! Sorry was out celebrating yesterday so didn't get a chance to come on here. I got AAB yey! So yes will see you there :smile: I did get my accommodation info but they put me in self-catering which I asked to switch from a few months ago so I rang up and they're hopefully going to change me. Well done for your results! Everyone seems to have done so well - makes me happy :smile:
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
charli_brown
Hiya! I know this thread kind of drifted off topic but I'm doing class civ. Really looking forward to it although I'm scared I'm going to be at a disadvantage as I didn't study any form of class civ. or ancient history at college as they didn't offer it :frown: I have a latin GCSE but not A level as they didn't do that either grrrr... How are you getting on with the book list? I've read one and a half so far :smile: Am very proud of my self!
Bit about me... LOVE poetry too (hehe what geeks!) - especially Rupert Brooke, listen to then likes of Snow Patrol, Damien Rice and Jack Johnson. I enjoy long bubble baths (won't be popular with my hall-mates) and spontaneous trips to the beach.
Sorry this post is really long - its my first one!
xx

hi!
i'll be doing classical civ. and english. Like u charlie, i've never done class civ. at school. i'm from india and the subject is totally unheard of here. *sigh*
every time i tell someone what course i'm going to be studying, i draw a blank. i've never done latin or greek either. but i've done history in school and studide german and french as well. hopefully that should get me somewhere.
ahh poetry, love it too!!
thats all for now..
look forward to seeing ya all!!
Reply 22
Hi Pallavi....I wouldn't worry at all. Even many people who I tell that I'm studying Classics in England don't know what I'm talking about. What hall are you due to be in?
Reply 23
Hi there! My names Becca and I'm gonna be studying Ancient History with you guys in September! Im SO nervous! Especially after reading all your posts, I feel like a complete dunse. I got BBB (no A's there!) and seem to have hardly read ANY classics books despite the fact I did Class Civ@A-Level! I've read The Odyssey and the Aeneid, aswel as 6 Aristophanes, 1 Menander, 3 Euripides, 1 Aeschylus and 2 Sophacles, but that's pretty much it, and they're just the ones that were in the syllabus! The only book I've read from the reading list is the teeny tiny "classics - a very short introduction"!!! Where are all you guys living? I'm@ Mulberrys in Broadgate Park. I went on the JACT course too by the way, what year did you go? Maybe I know you?! I went in Lower 6th.

xXx
Reply 24
Yay! Another Classics faculty bod. Becca it really seems like you have read quite a lot-that's 13 classical plays there!. I went on the Jact summer school this past holiday and had great fun (am I allowed to admit that?!) Did you go to the Classics open day at Nottingham? We must all go for a coffee/more alcoholic beverage after our first metting, or sometime in Freshers week. Do you want to exchange phone numers or emails or something? Anyway-see you all there.....only 18 days now. Sophie x
sophieliz
Hi Pallavi....I wouldn't worry at all. Even many people who I tell that I'm studying Classics in England don't know what I'm talking about. What hall are you due to be in?

hey..
i'll be at broadgate park, but i guess we're going to be in the same class, right?
but after having seen our rather loooong list of books, :eek: i'm making a beeline for the library! i haven't even read 1/10th :frown:
i just hope i don't look like an absolute fool in class :embarasse
hey,
has anyone bought any of the textbooks that have been mentioned on the reading list?
i need help cause i'm totally clueless about which ones i should buy and which ones i'm better off borrowing from the library...
please let me know...
Oh my word 18 days??!?!! Scary! I'm in Mongolia at the moment (hehe better explain - doing mission work with my church - teaching english and running a youth group) but managed to find an internet cafe so I could catch up with the TSR gossip :smile: I bought the latin textbook off amazon. It's got a blue cover if that helps!! I just typed in the authors names and found it. It took a while to come so I'd get it soon. And I haven't read much to be honest just a few general books on Greece and Rome which they recommended plus The Oddessey and The Iliad. Need to read loads this week. See you soon eeek! x
Reply 28
pallavi dhody
hey..
i'll be at broadgate park, but i guess we're going to be in the same class, right?
but after having seen our rather loooong list of books, :eek: i'm making a beeline for the library! i haven't even read 1/10th :frown:
i just hope i don't look like an absolute fool in class :embarasse

Im in Boadgate park too! Which one's are you in? I'm in Mulberry's. I'm also worried about seeming like a dunce in class - the Classics department at my school was scrapped after I'd done my GCSE's and we could only do it at A-Level on because my teacher carried on for free. But because she wasn't being paid she didn't turn up a lot so we had to teach ourselfs most of the stuff, probrably wrongly! Also we did all Literature modules so I don't know anything about architecture or anything :frown: .

What language module is everyone doing? I'm doing Beginners Greek x
Reply 29
sophieliz
Yay! Another Classics faculty bod. Becca it really seems like you have read quite a lot-that's 13 classical plays there!. I went on the Jact summer school this past holiday and had great fun (am I allowed to admit that?!) Did you go to the Classics open day at Nottingham? We must all go for a coffee/more alcoholic beverage after our first metting, or sometime in Freshers week. Do you want to exchange phone numers or emails or something? Anyway-see you all there.....only 18 days now. Sophie x

I had a great time at JACT too! Made some really good friends who I still talk too and discovered that I'm not as bad at Greek as I thought I would be!

I did go on the classics open day, I take it you did? We might have seen each other! I mostly just hung round with this gal I met who's also doing Ancient Hist in September though!

We could all say hey to each other when we have to register @ 10am on 26th? I'm really confused about what's going on for week one, I'm going to get so lost and confused! teehee

We cud swap Hotmail addy's if you have them? Im [email protected] speak to you soon! xXx
secrets133
Im in Boadgate park too! Which one's are you in? I'm in Mulberry's. I'm also worried about seeming like a dunce in class - the Classics department at my school was scrapped after I'd done my GCSE's and we could only do it at A-Level on because my teacher carried on for free. But because she wasn't being paid she didn't turn up a lot so we had to teach ourselfs most of the stuff, probrably wrongly! Also we did all Literature modules so I don't know anything about architecture or anything :frown: .

What language module is everyone doing? I'm doing Beginners Greek x

I'm at junipers...well i've also taught myself everything because i studied whatever it is that i could get my hands on, all by myself. right or wrong, remains to be seen :frown:
i'll probably be taking beginners latin. will hopefully have made up my mind by registeration :redface:
what other subsidiary modules are you taking?
Reply 31
pallavi dhody
I'm at junipers...well i've also taught myself everything because i studied whatever it is that i could get my hands on, all by myself. right or wrong, remains to be seen :frown:
i'll probably be taking beginners latin. will hopefully have made up my mind by registeration :redface:
what other subsidiary modules are you taking?

Subsidiary modules? Are we supposed to know about them yet? I have no idea! What are you doing? How many are you meant to take?

xXx
Reply 32
I want to take all my subsids from English if possible....an I'm definately doing Latin.
secrets133
Subsidiary modules? Are we supposed to know about them yet? I have no idea! What are you doing? How many are you meant to take?

xXx

I'm doing a joint hons in english and classical civilisations. I don't know about single hons but for joint hons, you have an option of choosing a subsidiary module from any school, including your own.
but you have to take a total of 60 credits each term, so chose modules that will total up to 60. there are some modules that are compulsory.
The pre-departure handbook at the classics homepage will help you.

www.nottingham.ac.uk/classics/undergraduate

don't worry...we'll find out more about all of this at registeration.
but you should have an idea of the modules available so that you can make a rough list of which ones you'd like to study. they will ask you for provisional choices at our welcome meeting. first years can only chose level 1 and level A modules.

www.nottingham.ac.uk/modulecatalogue

that should help!

cheers!
Reply 34
pallavi dhody
I'm doing a joint hons in english and classical civilisations. I don't know about single hons but for joint hons, you have an option of choosing a subsidiary module from any school, including your own.
but you have to take a total of 60 credits each term, so chose modules that will total up to 60. there are some modules that are compulsory.
The pre-departure handbook at the classics homepage will help you.

www.nottingham.ac.uk/classics/undergraduate

don't worry...we'll find out more about all of this at registeration.
but you should have an idea of the modules available so that you can make a rough list of which ones you'd like to study. they will ask you for provisional choices at our welcome meeting. first years can only chose level 1 and level A modules.

www.nottingham.ac.uk/modulecatalogue

that should help!

cheers!

Thanks! Those links were a great help! I'll probrably try to take all my modules in the Classics department, are you allowed to do that? I don't know what else I'd want to do, unless I did History. So I want to do Beginners Greek, Classics and Popular Culture, an Introduction to the Greek World: A, and an Introduction to the Greek World: B. If I changed any for a History module it would be the Classics and Popular culture one. Do you know what your doing? x
Reply 35
I'm starting a degree I don't really want to be doing-marvellous! Actually not quite true-I want to be doing half of the degree and half of another. Hmm then again, maybe I do want to do this degree. You see it's all this waiting around-get me to Notts then I'll know where I'm at.
secrets133
Thanks! Those links were a great help! I'll probrably try to take all my modules in the Classics department, are you allowed to do that? I don't know what else I'd want to do, unless I did History. So I want to do Beginners Greek, Classics and Popular Culture, an Introduction to the Greek World: A, and an Introduction to the Greek World: B. If I changed any for a History module it would be the Classics and Popular culture one. Do you know what your doing? x

hey,
You can take all your modules from the classics department, but now that you have a chance why don't you try and delve into other things as well? go through the list of modules, you might find something that interests you. parallel knowledge is always helpful.

since i'll be doing a joint hons, i have to take 60 classics credits and 60 english credits every year. 'ancient greeks' and 'the roman world' are compulsory for me during my first year which are 10 credits each. For the remaining 40 i think i'll take up beginners latin 1 and 2 in each of the two semesters.

40 out of my english credits are pre-determined. i have 20 to spare and some 6 modules that i'd like to study. :confused:
american history, art history, classics and popular culture, imagination, the islamic tradition, and something in philosphy maybe.
long list :redface:
i hopefully should be able to decide by the time i get to notts!

cheers!
sophieliz
I'm starting a degree I don't really want to be doing-marvellous! Actually not quite true-I want to be doing half of the degree and half of another. Hmm then again, maybe I do want to do this degree. You see it's all this waiting around-get me to Notts then I'll know where I'm at.

just hang in there sophie...it happens to the best of us!
you'll be just fine...the jitter bugs will go away soon
take care :smile:
Reply 38
But you are studying English and Classics-boo hoo....I want too **slaps wrist and tells herself to stop acting so immaturely**
Reply 39
Thanks for the info pallavi dhody, I just can't think what else I'd want to do, History and English maybe but the modules don't seem too exiting to me. Maybe I'll do something off the wall like knitting. What subject is the "imagination" module in?

You WILL be fine Sophie, you can take English Modules and I think most Uni's let you change subject in the second year. x

Latest

Trending

Trending