The Student Room Group

Biology or Computing

Hi .
Im getting my As results soon :biggrin: and my school is asking us what subjects we want to continue with for A2. Im currently taking Biology, Computing, Maths and Physics however i am going to drop one of them for A2. Im hoping to study areonautical engineering at uni so im sticking with Physics & maths however i dont know wether to drop Computing or Biology.

I prefer biology over computing, however computing would seem much more logical for engineering related courses (even though computing isnt exactly "techincal"). Also many engineering courses prefer 2 sciences, however biology doesnt seem too relevant (probably cause they are talking more about chemistry). What do you people think would be the better option computing or biology??? :confused: :confused:

...Also one lil question. How much does the work load increase from As to A2? They said GCSE to AS was a huge step but to be honest there wasnt much of a change.
Reply 1
Well it seems an obvious choice, If you prefer biology and your course prefers 2 sciences take that regardless of whether its relevant, it sounds like your university will just class Computing as a normal 3rd subject so unless you know you will be able to do much better in it than biology its better to be safe and meet more of the universitys criteia, especially if you prefer it anyway.

I noticed GCSE to AS wasnt a huge step but apparently going from AS to A2 (Im going into A2 next year too) it is a big leap (what Ive heard from current A2 students) apparently the work isnt too much harder, but there is alot more to know so you just end up putting ALOT more hours in, or at least thats what I was told.
Reply 2
Yeah it was the same problem for me when i was bout to start AS... Biology and Computing seemed both equally interesting. But in ur case as Steeevo said bio sounds a better choice.

Im going to start A2 as well. And honestly i didnt notice a huge step from GCSEs to AS... infact im keeping 4 subjects in A2.
Reply 3
well i always found that doing the subject you wanted to do most paid off more (in the sense of achievment) hence the biology.

however i cant say computing wouldnt help, but i dont think it will stop you from doing your desired course - provided u get the grades required or better
Reply 4
I would wait until results day to make your decision. I would check the university's entrance requirements to see what they want, so you will be doing the right course. Since you like biology more, you should do it. You will likely to do well when you like the subject.

Go to this website to find the university's entrance requirements for your course: http://www.ucas.com/search/index06.html (click on 'subject search'-->click on the letter 'A'-->scroll down and click on 'aeronautical engineering'-->then click 'all Aeronautical Engineering courses' OR 'Aeronautical Engineering on its own as a single subject' You can click on the single subject or all aeronautical courses).

For example, I checked Bristol's entry requirements on the UCAS course search website, they only want maths and physics, and any third A-level.
I thiink you should do biology. Whilst it's true that computing would be more relevant, you don't actually need it for your course and even without biology, you'll have 2 sciences because maths is classed as a science, so stick with what you enjoy more and are more likely to get a good grade in.
Reply 6
Yes - Biology would be a better choice. And remember that Biology is actually a valuable science in Engineering, since it could be used in Biomedical Engineering... Anyhow, just make sure you are entirely happy with your choice.

Hope that helps...
Reply 7
thanks for your help. ill probably stick with biology :smile: but wont make my decision until i get my results
Reply 8
kellywood_5
I thiink you should do biology. Whilst it's true that computing would be more relevant, you don't actually need it for your course and even without biology, you'll have 2 sciences because maths is classed as a science, so stick with what you enjoy more and are more likely to get a good grade in.

maths classed as a science lol whats the world comming to. It's prob to do with the fact that it's engineering and theres alot of maths in it so maths is a relevant subject to have.

Latest