The Student Room Group

Changing college (Migration)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I'm also at Kellogg and while I think it works well for students who are not based in Oxford (e.g. doing a part-time degree), it offers very little for Oxford-based students.

I am doing a part-time MSc and am lucky enough to be able to work from almost any geographical location. Thanks to this, I decided to move to Oxford with the aim to have a more interactive experience with the university and my college while pursuing my degree, but I must say that I'm rather disappointed by Kellogg. While it has its advantages such as lovely fellows and staff, modern facilities, etc it lacks in so many other areas which most Oxford colleges succeed in.

As mentioned before Kellogg has no library, no societies (even "its" boat club is a partnership with Christchurch boat club), it's closed during summer, most of its students are based in London or abroad, just to mention some disadvantages. Beyond some of these important deficiencies, it doesn't provide the same sense of history and architectural beauty that other colleges offer (it doesn't have a quad or chapel for one thing).

To make things worse, I chose Kellogg in my application because my degree literature recommends doing so when applying for my degree. After getting accepted I learned that other colleges such as Exeter - which frankly I would rather be a member of - also accept applicants for my degree (although it's never certain that your first choice college would accept you of course). Eventually, I met other fellow students doing the same degree as me who are members of Exeter instead (they clearly were more clever than me and did their research well before applying).

Honestly I feel I have been sort of 'conned' into choosing a college which I wouldn't have chosen should I had known what I do know now. I wish the college migration process for graduate students was more straightforward, especially when a college infrastructure and facilities are nowhere near the university standards as confirmed by this survey:

http://oxfordstudent.com/2012/04/19/somerville-soars-in-satisfaction-survey/

Original post by kelloggissoironic
I have the same problem at Kellogg here. I have never heard anybody at Kellogg doing a D.Phil. in Physics or Biochemistry. And never seen or spoken to somebody at Kellogg who studies sciences. But I know that Dphil students in other colleges actually interact academically, based on their research areas, for example in Seminars or informal meetings with College Advisors.

A lot has been written about "wherever you end up you will absolutely love it" and so on... for the undegrads this might be true, but for postgrads it's crap. My college has no library or study room, no scholarships or grants, no strong academic rooting of their fellows, no students who stay on for a d.phil. (who wonders), no clubs and societies, accommodation is also hardly existent. (Kellogg is not particularly pretty and financially rather tight, so they will probably never let me go)
Reply 21
Don't you consider Rewley House to be part of Kellogg? It has a great little library, reading room, computers, a bar, a pleasant though small and paved rear quad, and can be buzzing with fellow students and conference delegates. It's conveniently central and on a lovely square surrounding the park. I still go there regularly to do some swotting, even though I left in 2009 and am now at another Oxford college.
Reply 22
Original post by shoshin
Don't you consider Rewley House to be part of Kellogg? It has a great little library, reading room, computers, a bar, a pleasant though small and paved rear quad, and can be buzzing with fellow students and conference delegates. It's conveniently central and on a lovely square surrounding the park. I still go there regularly to do some swotting, even though I left in 2009 and am now at another Oxford college.

Thanks for your feedback shoshin, it's good to see a former Kellogg member on this forum! :smile: BTW, which college are you a member of now? Are you doing a BA in History?

Going back to our original topic, I haven't been to Rewley House yet although my understanding is that technically Kellogg is not longer based there since it moved to the new site on Banbury Road (which is the one my previous post was based on). I'm aware that there is a strong link between Kellogg and the Cont. Education department but would never think of Rewley House's facilities as an extension of Kellogg. I suppose that in that respect, the Rewley House / Cont. Ed. library would be the same as any other Bodleian library in that is open to any Oxford students regardless of their College affiliation.
Reply 23
Original post by apee
...which college are you a member of now? Are you doing a BA in History?...I haven't been to Rewley House yet although my understanding is that technically Kellogg is not longer based there since it moved to the new site on Banbury Road (which is the one my previous post was based on). I'm aware that there is a strong link between Kellogg and the Cont. Education department but would never think of Rewley House's facilities as an extension of Kellogg. I suppose that in that respect, the Rewley House / Cont. Ed. library would be the same as any other Bodleian library in that is open to any Oxford students regardless of their College affiliation.

I'm at Mansfield. Yes, I'm reading History.

You're right about the technical/admin difference between the Department and the College, and I did guess that your post concerned Banbury Road. But I thought it worth mentioning in case you hadn't come across Rewley House, because it is quite a useful central location and might help at the margins regarding the student experience that you feel you're missing out on.

Yes, Rewley House library is open to all Bod Card holders, though only Cont Ed students can borrow books - your Kellogg status may not count. However, if this were a prob you can join as a Friend of the Library for a few quid per year and this allows borrowing IIRC.
Reply 24
Hello everyone,

I am happy to see that this topic exist, and you guys were discussing several years ago.

Anyone succeed to change the college?
shoshin apee kelloggissoironic PeterP

Hope to hear something from you. Also if anyone else has some information about funding & scholarship opportunities, highly welcome. I have very high fees right now and I am not able to handle it with my college.

For now, I don't even know how to apply to another college's funding. Because as I see on their websites, there is no way to apply for those scholarships. I do DPhil and i believe i would have a chance to get something from others if i ca n apply. Is there anyone can tell me how to process is?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending