The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Scroll to see replies

Maturity
So in this sense you would say that a physical university degree in Physics is better than a OU one?

You'd cover more material yes. You might learn the (theory) material that both cover better at the OU, but someone who has got a degree from a regular uni will probably come out knowing more physics than someone who has got a degree from the OU. The OU degree will probably still be enough to get one into a lot of master's programmes though if one were to take it further.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 41
lupinpooter
:yep: What Moggs said (in the previous posts as well as this one)

I too love the fact that within the structure of the course (i.e. assignment deadlines/exam date) you can approach your studies in whatever way suits you best: as Moggs says, you can speed up, slow down, read around the OU material and generally do your own thing. You definitely do feel in charge of your own learning, and, although the lack of interaction with others can be frustrating at times, I think this independence is good preparation for higher level study and demonstrates certain transferable skills that employers are likely to find desirable.

The exams, where are these held? :confused:
Reply 42
Is it actually a degree for free?
Exams are held all over the place. You're assigned the one nearest your home address (usually) but you can ask to be assigned to a different one if that's more convenient. I'm not sure how it works for students outside the UK though.
Reply 44
Maturity
Is it actually a degree for free?

It can be, if you don't earn much. Providing I don't get a pay rise, and continue studying 60-90 points a year (and assuming their financial support stays the same!) I don't think I'll have to pay much, if anything - maybe a few hundred quid if I take expensive courses one year. However, it's certainly not easy...I have more assignments then I did when I was at uni full time, and you really need to be motivated.

Exams are held at your nearest regional centre usually, I think. There's a list of these somewhere on the OU site. I'll have to go to Birmingham for mine.
Reply 45
Kate.
It can be, if you don't earn much. Providing I don't get a pay rise, and continue studying 60-90 points a year (and assuming their financial support stays the same!) I don't think I'll have to pay much, if anything - maybe a few hundred quid if I take expensive courses one year. However, it's certainly not easy...I have more assignments then I did when I was at uni full time, and you really need to be motivated.

Exams are held at your nearest regional centre usually, I think. There's a list of these somewhere on the OU site. I'll have to go to Birmingham for mine.

I earn nothing. I am 17, and I am becoming interested in doing this degree, as long as it is free. Do I qualify?
Reply 46
Hey Moggs,

IM working towards BEng also! I think i was chatting to you in a thread a few months ago when i was choosing my first course T173, well ive one block down and so far im enjoying it!

You mention earlier about weighting your BEng towards the Mechanial side and i am also keen on this. Would T207 and T357 be the 2 main courses to go down this route? IM not sure wether to combine this with design or sustainable energy courses.

I suppose it depends on what area you are employed in, or seek employment in, but i dont think combining design with mech studies, as a way of taking a few easy courses to get my BEng.

Moggs

The temptation to do easy modules is always there too. For instance, skimping on the maths at level 2/3 and picking up a design course could still result in the same B.eng qualification. Gotta prod myself every now and then and remind myself that I'm in it for the knowledge not the piece of paper at the end.

I want to keep my options open of doing a PGCE in Technology and looking at OU documents on "becoming a teacher" and which courses relate to which PGCE, surprisingly the T357 is not related to technology or maths or any at all. Thats one reason why im combining design with my mech studies, as the design modules are all related to the tech PGCE. (well i am a draughtsman for a mechanical engineering company, so i suppose it makes sense too).

IM not having a go, im just of the same feeling as yourself, that i dont want to be taking an "easy" route, if there is one, to the BEng, and want to get as much out of this as possible!
Reply 47
I'm not that great at self study, so that would be a big catch for me. :yep
Reply 48
I completed two 60 point courses with the open university, they were both certificates but also were the first year of the health and social care degree. I had mine paid for and a £250 grant as i had a low income. Some universities accept open university points as entrance requirements for certain degrees for those that don't have their A levels. I've decided to go to a 'brick/proper' university this September as i found the OU really difficult, as i'm terrible with self-motivation. I think that is one advantage to those who do gain their degree with the OU it will show they can be extremely organised and disciplined. Although i found it difficult the support from the tutors was fantastic, always on the end of the 'phone when i needed help.

Also i wouldn't say it was a 'crap' place to gain a degree i have two family members who gained their degrees through the open university and have acheived fairly well in their careers :biggrin: It's like anything in life you have to work to get the best you can from it.
IndiePixie
While I accept that someone at Leicester might think that they are well placed to recognise a crap degree when they see one, in this instance you clearly don't know what you are talking about. OU degrees are very well regarded. In fact, when I was at Cambridge University, one of my tutors had an undergraduate degree from the OU, followed by a DPhil from Oxford University.

Ice will be needed to go with this BURN!!!
Reply 50
Studycrazy
I completed two 60 point courses with the open university, they were both certificates but also were the first year of the health and social care degree. I had mine paid for and a £250 grant as i had a low income. Some universities accept open university points as entrance requirements for certain degrees for those that don't have their A levels. I've decided to go to a 'brick/proper' university this September as i found the OU really difficult, as i'm terrible with self-motivation. I think that is one advantage to those who do gain their degree with the OU it will show they can be extremely organised and disciplined. Although i found it difficult the support from the tutors was fantastic, always on the end of the 'phone when i needed help.

Also i wouldn't say it was a 'crap' place to gain a degree i have two family members who gained their degrees through the open university and have acheived fairly well in their careers :biggrin: It's like anything in life you have to work to get the best you can from it.

So you didn't have to pay for the courses and you got £250, you got given money to do the course? Am I missing something.
Maturity
So you didn't have to pay for the courses and you got £250, you got given money to do the course? Am I missing something.

Nope. If your income is low enough you get your fees paid for you plus an annual course grant of about £250 (I think it may have gone up a bit since I last looked) and a grant towards the cost of a computer, if you need it.
Reply 52
Maturity

Hi, check your eligibility here :smile: The income of your parents shouldn't be included, just yours. There's always OUSBA too if there's any excess to pay, which just means paying monthly at about 5% interest - though as linin says there won't be much more than about £200 per year, which is covered by your £250 materials grant anyway.

BigFundamental makes some good points too.

because the first year is basically spent doing GCSE/A-level stuff to get you up to speed.

I think this may come down to which modules you choose. For example, for a physics degree you could fulfil your level 1's with things like MU120 and Y162 or MST121 maths wise and still get it. However, you could also choose to do say, MST121 and proceed straight to level 2 and 3 maths courses.

So the option for the easy route is absolutely there, but of course, you are not required to do your 120 points at level 1, covering as you say, A-level and sometimes GCSE. You could do all your points at level 2 and above - this I believe is the reason why some masters programs ask for which modules you did.

If my GCSE's or A-levels were strong, I'd probably consider picking up a 10 pointer in May, just to get used to OU study and the type of answers/feedback they require, then begin with level 2's skipping most if not all level 1's.

Of course if you really love the subject, there's always the online MIT lectures, sites like khanacademy and books like Stroud to take you beyond the course material. I suppose how much knowledge you come out with at the end is your choice as long as you meet the award requirements :smile:
Reply 53
DELBOYJOE
Hey Moggs,

Ello, I remember our talk :smile: Really glad to hear you're enjoying T173.

You mention earlier about weighting your BEng towards the Mechanial side and i am also keen on this. Would T207 and T357 be the 2 main courses to go down this route? IM not sure wether to combine this with design or sustainable energy courses.

T173 -> T207 -> T357 as you say seem to be the main mech ones. At first glance I was wondering whether to do the design or environmental ones. I tried design, and it really wasn't for me so I cancelled it after block 1. I won't be doing the level 3 of this.

The energy ones look fine, but I started browsing around to see what other universities have on their module lists. The first thing I found was more maths. So I decided to replace the level 2 design/environmental with maths.

Level 3 wise, I found this little talked about gem. Fluid mechanics in a mech degree? Yes please.

This leaves me with just 30 points to decide at level 3, which may be the micro/nano course, or alternatively a related phys course, maybe an in depth thermodynamics or another maths/stats/eng course or something. I haven't looked in to exactly which one yet.

My main worry with the design and environmental courses is that they will not give me enough ammo for future maths study and may hinder a taught masters or higher level undergrad physics (whichever comes first) but if your goal is entirely different, this point will be irrelevant to you.

IM not having a go, im just of the same feeling as yourself, that i dont want to be taking an "easy" route, if there is one, to the BEng, and want to get as much out of this as possible!

Sorry, I didn't mean to suggest that all people take them for an easy ride :smile: What I meant to say was that if I see a course that's relevant and what I want to do and related to what I want out of it, easy or hard, that's fine.

What I don't think is fine (again, for me, not speaking for others) is to go the route of 'I just want that piece of paper, so I'll take the easy ones, even though they're not really what I want to do'.

If you're in and around that field (I remember you are, because you pointed me towards that tablet in the chat thread), and it interests you, go for it.

Side note: I have the first two blocks of my recently cancelled T211 here. If you want them as a sort of advanced preview, PM me and I can send them if you like. I'm running out of space anyway :P
Reply 54
Moggs
Hi, check your eligibility here :smile: The income of your parents shouldn't be included, just yours. There's always OUSBA too if there's any excess to pay, which just means paying monthly at about 5% interest - though as linin says there won't be much more than about £200 per year, which is covered by your £250 materials grant anyway.

BigFundamental makes some good points too.

I think this may come down to which modules you choose. For example, for a physics degree you could fulfil your level 1's with things like MU120 and Y162 or MST121 maths wise and still get it. However, you could also choose to do say, MST121 and proceed straight to level 2 and 3 maths courses.

So the option for the easy route is absolutely there, but of course, you are not required to do your 120 points at level 1, covering as you say, A-level and sometimes GCSE. You could do all your points at level 2 and above - this I believe is the reason why some masters programs ask for which modules you did.

If my GCSE's or A-levels were strong, I'd probably consider picking up a 10 pointer in May, just to get used to OU study and the type of answers/feedback they require, then begin with level 2's skipping most if not all level 1's.

Of course if you really love the subject, there's always the online MIT lectures, sites like khanacademy and books like Stroud to take you beyond the course material. I suppose how much knowledge you come out with at the end is your choice as long as you meet the award requirements :smile:

I really don't get the funding of the degree at all.
Reply 55
Maturity

Which part? :smile:
Maturity

What don't you get about it? If your income is low enough, you receive financial assistance to cover all or part of your course fees. Have a look around on the OU website for more info. There isn't a catch, but I wouldn't be surprised if this arrangement changes in the not too distant future, what with HE cuts and all that.
better than not having a degree at all
Reply 58
Moggs
Which part? :smile:

If I am able to study free or not.
It says the household income whcih then I include my parents income.
Then it says I am entitled to nothing.
Reply 59
Maturity
If I am able to study free or not.
It says the household income whcih then I include my parents income.
Then it says I am entitled to nothing.

It is your personal income or income shared between you and a partner that financial support is based on. You do not include your parents income at all. :nah:

Latest