The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

LouisVuitton43
so we coulnt do both banana but different aspects?

:frown:
damn.

it's up to your teacher really - they aren't really similar but I don't know how harsh the sqa are?
TheRabbit
it's up to your teacher really - they aren't really similar but I don't know how harsh the sqa are?

nahh, idk, dont relly want to chance that though

i pray the apple works for me...

PLEASE GOD.

lol

:P:
TheRabbit

hi, sorry to bother you again...

but im not getting much info from my teacher about the whole thing...

how many variables (and what ones) is the girl in your class doing?

how many expirements are you ment to do anyway :s-smilie:
i know chem do at least 4, but i wasnt told anything, so just thought i was doing the one :mad: :frown:
i have now got 2 weeks to do it all and write it up :s-smilie: :frown:
LouisVuitton43
hi, sorry to bother you again...

but im not getting much info from my teacher about the whole thing...

how many variables (and what ones) is the girl in your class doing?

Don't know how many shes doing. I would choose 3 or 4, maybe temperature and pH- try and find optimum- lemon juice and light (ie do one in the dark and one in light and check every minute or whatever, probably lamp light as there isn't much sunlight at this time of year :p: ) Try and do 3 repeats if possible too.

how many expirements are you ment to do anyway :s-smilie:
i know chem do at least 4, but i wasnt told anything, so just thought i was doing the one :mad: :frown:
i have now got 2 weeks to do it all and write it up :s-smilie: :frown:

Thats a school thing - mine doesn't have this requirement, do as many as you can and as you think is necessary. (And same Re time limit, I am properly ****** as I also have my art to finish)
TheRabbit
Don't know how many shes doing. I would choose 3 or 4, maybe temperature and pH- try and find optimum- lemon juice and light (ie do one in the dark and one in light and check every minute or whatever, probably lamp light as there isn't much sunlight at this time of year :p: ) Try and do 3 repeats if possible too.

Thats a school thing - mine doesn't have this requirement, do as many as you can and as you think is necessary. (And same Re time limit, I am properly ****** as I also have my art to finish)

would i be able to keep this constant inside a colorimeter??

(idk how long the experiment will take inside it, probs at LEAST a few mins, up to a couple of hours if i have the time....)

EDIT: could i just denature the enzyme, and conclude that high temperatures would stop browning? or is that too basic for one of the experiments...?

EDIT 2: i was thinking of investigating what kind of fruit juice would inhibit the enzyme best, i know lemon juice and pinapple juice does, could i just do a couple of those experiment then that enough to do a write up and discussion?? or do i need to do more variables or what?? SO confused :s-smilie: :frown:
LouisVuitton43
would i be able to keep this constant inside a colorimeter??

(idk how long the experiment will take inside it, probs at LEAST a few mins, up to a couple of hours if i have the time....)

EDIT: could i just denature the enzyme, and conclude that high temperatures would stop browning? or is that too basic for one of the experiments...?

EDIT 2: i was thinking of investigating what kind of fruit juice would inhibit the enzyme best, i know lemon juice and pinapple juice does, could i just do a couple of those experiment then that enough to do a write up and discussion?? or do i need to do more variables or what?? SO confused :s-smilie: :frown:

With temperature you would need to take the readings at set intervals and keep the enzyme at right temperature inbetween readings.

Edit 1 is far too simple, though you could do a range of temperatures and try to find the denaturing temperature but I would expect that unless you wanted baked apple in your fruit salad you would need to find another reason for doing it than to find the best way to keep apple from browning when preparing fruit salads!

Edit 2 is could probably be an investigation in itself - comparing different fruits and different volumes of juices - and you could look at the composition of the different fruit juices to see if there is any correlation

EDIT: You need to decide whether you are going to compare the extent of browning after a period of time or the time taken for a certain level of browning to have ocurred.
TheRabbit
With temperature you would need to take the readings at set intervals and keep the enzyme at right temperature inbetween readings.

Edit 1 is far too simple, though you could do a range of temperatures and try to find the denaturing temperature but I would expect that unless you wanted baked apple in your fruit salad you would need to find another reason for doing it than to find the best way to keep apple from browning when preparing fruit salads!

Edit 2 is could probably be an investigation in itself - comparing different fruits and different volumes of juices - and you could look at the composition of the different fruit juices to see if there is any correlation

that might be a better investigation, or much worse :p:

so, i would pick say 3 different juice (lemon, pineapple and orange), at 3 different volumes... and see which did better and why.... (could be related to apple browning in tins... wait. do they do tinned apples...? or why they mix fruit juices in cartons? :s-smilie: im a bit confused as you can see :eek: )
and then investigate the molecular componant of each? or how acidic they are and why they work best... hm. is that enough?

EDIT: isnt that too simplistic... cos its clearly going to be the one thats most acidic, cos its acidic and the enzyme doesnt work at that???

sorry to bother you and all... it seems like your school is a lot more clued up than ours :o:

EDIT: You need to decide whether you are going to compare the extent of browning after a period of time or the time taken for a certain level of browning to have ocurred.

whatt :s-smilie:... probs time. like, read the readings after 10 secs... blah blah... why?
LouisVuitton43
that might be a better investigation, or much worse :p:

so, i would pick say 3 different juice (lemon, pineapple and orange), at 3 different volumes... and see which did better and why.... (could be related to apple browning in tins... wait. do they do tinned apples...? or why they mix fruit juices in cartons? :s-smilie: im a bit confused as you can see :eek: )
and then investigate the molecular componant of each? or how acidic they are and why they work best... hm. is that enough?

EDIT: isnt that too simplistic... cos its clearly going to be the one thats most acidic, cos its acidic and the enzyme doesnt work at that???

What you've suggested seems good, not necessarily too simplistic as you would need to find out which one was actually most acidic anyway and other factors might affect it -which is something you can discuss in the write up.

sorry to bother you and all... it seems like your school is a lot more clued up than ours :o:

Its not a problem, my school is not really anymore clued up but after chemistry I have a good idea of how to go about it!:p:

whatt :s-smilie:... probs time. like, read the readings after 10 secs... blah blah... why?

Well how you measure it is going to make a difference to how hard it is going to be to keep the enzyme at a certain temperature - if its a case of checking the browning only once, at a specific time, this would be easier. You might need to do trial runs of both to see which is likely to be easiest/most effective.

Latest