The Student Room Group

Dizzyness / labyrinthitis

I was diagnosed with suffering from labyrinthitis (which basically makes you feel dizzy ALL the time) last November after coming down with the dreaded swine flu.

It was TERRIBLE when I first got it: if I was doing work on my computer I felt like I was swaying back and forth, and when walking it felt like I was constantly on an escalator or in quick sand.

It finally went away at the end of November, but then returned for a couple of days over Christmas.

Since then I've had bouts of dizziness, lasting for a couple of hours every few days. It's nowhere near as bad as it was in November: I can pretty much carry on as normal but I don't like to drink alcohol if I am having a 'dizzy day'.

I was told that I am likely to be susceptible to it now, but usually after a heavy cold or flu. I've not had a cold or flu since the swine flu November, but have been experiencing dizziness again. I'm one of those people who gets tired easily, and will fully admit I get stressed with work from time to time!

I was just wondering if anyone else had/has suffered with this before, and if so, whether it went away and then came back again? Also, should I get back in touch with the Doc's? I tried some medication to combat the vertigo, but unfortunately suffered side effects, so won't be trying that again.

Any advice/comments appreciated :smile:
Reply 1
I had the same thing a few years ago..

I had really bad dizziness for a week-ish (which they said about 6 months later was probably labrynthitis..) but kept getting dizzy at random times over the next few months.. I went back to the doctors and went for various tests on my ears, they said they couldn't find anything wrong!
It was absolute hell for a while, cos it just came on suddenly and I used to get it quite bad, but fortunately it just gradually got less often and then the episodes stopped pretty much altogether!
I still occasionally get slightly light-headed and my balance is generally terrible.. but it basically never bothers me anymore! I hope your problems will just go away on their own the same as mine did! :smile:
My dr did say there can be recurrent episodes for a while afterwards, but I think they'll get better with time :smile:
Reply 2
OK cool, so because it's still only been 4 months since I first had it, having recurring bouts is still fairly 'normal'?

Did you find that anything in particular triggered it? I'm starting to think it's when I'm hungry, or when I'm tired - and when you're PG student, that can happen quite a lot, haha!

Thanks for your comments. I'll leave it until the summer and go back to the Docs with it then - as I said I'm able to carry on with work, just have to miss out on some nights out :frown:
Reply 3
I would say so yeah..

Erm, I can't really remember anything in particular that triggered it, but I guess if you are tired/hungry you're more susceptible to feeling generally run down anyway, so that could well be the case! Try not to overwork yourself! :p:

Yeah I would say thats probably best for now..
Just if the episodes get worse/more often, I'd go back asap. But as long as you can get on with them, I'd put up with it for now, as I think its likely they'll just go away.. hopefully! :smile:
Reply 4
Wow, this is interesting. (:

I get dizzy 'spells' but not quite for as long as hours! I just have a few seconds, almost black out, regain my composure and off I trot again. I can't imagine having to cope with ongoing dizzyness!

Hope things get better! Not much for me to advise here. ^.^
I have labyrinthitis as well and but it just came from a bad common cold. I was only diagnosed with it late February. I don't drink any alcohol at all. I also avoid wearing any shoes with a heel :P I don't know if your Doc has given you any medication, but mine has given me VRT exersizes (vestibular rehabilitation therapy) to do, they are supposed to be quite good in helping the brain to 'readapt'
Reply 6
I didn't realise that you could get this from the after effects of a cold or even that it was possible to carry on functioning at all with it. My girlsfriend had labyrinthitis a few years ago and she couldn't make it down the stairs for about 30 mins. when she did she had to hang onto the floor while she threw up as the dizziness was so bad and constant. An ambulance took her to the hospital where some eejit doctor told her it was probably food poisoning, just go on home. So we did, as there was little else to do. Upon realising it hadn't gotten any better we went back pretty much straight away where someone who knew what they were talking about diagnosed her properly. My girlfriend then had to spend the next few days being kept in for obsesrvation, given medication to ease the dizziness and being fed intravenously as she could not keep much down otherwise. Apparently if its this bad and goes untreated/without any attention you would starve to death because of not being able to eat anything.....

Anyway it doesn't sound quite as bad with you, but I can empathise, I have seen what it does to someone and although there is no cure and medication only eases it rest assured that your body will overcome it. If you are prone to colds/infections then make sure to always eat lots of vitamin C rich foods like fresh oranges to keep those white blood cells in top form.
Reply 7
SianAS
I was diagnosed with suffering from labyrinthitis (which basically makes you feel dizzy ALL the time) last November after coming down with the dreaded swine flu.

It was TERRIBLE when I first got it: if I was doing work on my computer I felt like I was swaying back and forth, and when walking it felt like I was constantly on an escalator or in quick sand.

It finally went away at the end of November, but then returned for a couple of days over Christmas.

Since then I've had bouts of dizziness, lasting for a couple of hours every few days. It's nowhere near as bad as it was in November: I can pretty much carry on as normal but I don't like to drink alcohol if I am having a 'dizzy day'.

I was told that I am likely to be susceptible to it now, but usually after a heavy cold or flu. I've not had a cold or flu since the swine flu November, but have been experiencing dizziness again. I'm one of those people who gets tired easily, and will fully admit I get stressed with work from time to time!

I was just wondering if anyone else had/has suffered with this before, and if so, whether it went away and then came back again? Also, should I get back in touch with the Doc's? I tried some medication to combat the vertigo, but unfortunately suffered side effects, so won't be trying that again.

Any advice/comments appreciated :smile:

Aww i thought i was the only one with this problem, yes i suffer constant dizziness too, i have medicine now that the doctor gave me to eat whenever i feel dizzy. Dont know why it happens though
Reply 8
Typically, since posting that, my dizzyness seems to have abated. To be honest I think I was beginning to confuse hunger and tiredness for a dizzyness bout, but when I think back to how dizzy I felt around Christmas, I don't think the bouts in the last few months have been labrynthitis. For example, I've been fine driving and caffeine maybe makes me feel a bit 'buzzy' for a few minutes, but that's probably because I've been avoiding it for the last few months!!
It's a nasty illness, do you get any nausea with the dizziness? Also keep a watch out for any anxiety/depressive symptoms, they can be caused by it bizarrely.
Reply 10
thankfully I never felt sick: I think I had a relatively mild case which lasted a loooong time. I gather the average is about 6 weeks, and mine lasted for 4 weeks of constant dizziness, but has probably taken about 4 months to feel like it has gone completely. Mind you, I've been home for the Easter hols for the past month, so it's possible that once the lack of sleep and stress starts, so will the dizziness!

I felt quite down about not being able to go out (especially as it struck only a month after I started my PG course), but was very lucky to have a supportive family and boyfriend who would let me express my blueness.

All in all, though it was horrible, and I know it may strike again, I have been relatively lucky with it. However, the worst part was being really dizzy for my niece's Christening :frown:

Latest