The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
I would, looks like a potentially awesome night!
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
I'm not a leeds student myself but tbh. at that price it seems worth it. You might regret not going afterwards.
The Summer Ball is only really worth it in that *nearly* everybody goes, and people will be talking about it on the day and for the few days afterwards, so if you don't go you might feel like you are missing out on something.

However in terms of value for money, the night is often a disappointment, it's only worth it if you really like the bands. The drinks are very expensive, you spend ages in queues, both for drinks and for the sparse toilet facilities, and it can be miserable plodding around in muddy marquees.

Sounds like a festival you might say, well essentially thats what it is, but how much would you enjoy a festival if you were in a tuxedo, or worse for the girls, in an expensive dress. Some dresses will never recover from a Summer Ball if it rains, which sods law tends to determine happens a lot. Last year we had about 10 consecutive days of beautiful sun and a downpour on the day of the Ball!

I'm not saying don't go, you might want to go anyway just to be with everyone else and to share stories about it afterwards, but realise from the outset that it is not meant to be a "value for money" event, it is expensive from start to finish, and if you're wearing a dress maybe don't risk a best-ever-once-in-a-lifetime dress.
I'm not going, bit expensive for what it is. Might see next year what the line up is, plus my mates aren't going so meh.

I would prob want to go in my final year, just for the hell of it but if you really don't want to don't!
Reply 5
MagicNMedicine
The Summer Ball is only really worth it in that *nearly* everybody goes, and people will be talking about it on the day and for the few days afterwards, so if you don't go you might feel like you are missing out on something.

However in terms of value for money, the night is often a disappointment, it's only worth it if you really like the bands. The drinks are very expensive, you spend ages in queues, both for drinks and for the sparse toilet facilities, and it can be miserable plodding around in muddy marquees.

Sounds like a festival you might say, well essentially thats what it is, but how much would you enjoy a festival if you were in a tuxedo, or worse for the girls, in an expensive dress. Some dresses will never recover from a Summer Ball if it rains, which sods law tends to determine happens a lot. Last year we had about 10 consecutive days of beautiful sun and a downpour on the day of the Ball!

I'm not saying don't go, you might want to go anyway just to be with everyone else and to share stories about it afterwards, but realise from the outset that it is not meant to be a "value for money" event, it is expensive from start to finish, and if you're wearing a dress maybe don't risk a best-ever-once-in-a-lifetime dress.

Thanks for the long post! You pretty much wrote my suspicions. I'm not bothered by the line up, and I'd probably rather just take that £40 to the pub the following day tbh.
Freud
Is it worth £37/42?

The line up doesn't excite me that much but loads of my friends are final years and want to go. I avoided it last year but debating about this year. Anyone on TSR going?

Its a rip off is every year no one goes, "Do you remember the summer ball it was the highlight of my Leeds experience". Dude there is other stuff on far cheaper, its one big con and fiasco. Im out so are most of my friends, the best stuff in life is free best nights I had at the Union were all free :biggrin:

Latest