The Student Room Group
Staffordshire University
Stoke-on-Trent
Visit website

Stafford Campus Barrier

How long do you think that it'll last for before they have to move it or stop using it? it's lasted more than a week so far which people thought it wouldn't have lasted more than a few days with all the traffic it's causing

Does anyone know what genius decided to put it where it is? And also how long it took for them to decide where to put it?

They put it up apparently to stop people who don't go to the uni from getting free parking. I don't see who would park there as there is nothing close to the uni to warrant parking a car there then going in to town etc. Can understand it up at the stoke campus as that is near town and the train station but not at stafford campus.
Reply 1
Yeah it completely baffles me what the point in it is. I can clearly see why they need one at Stoke but on our campus?

I've always parked across the road by the courts but apprantely there was a huge traffic jam Monday morning stretching all down the road because of people waiting to get in to the main campus carparks.

My housemate also tells me that if you want to get through the barrier you need to get a new student card because the ones given out originally do not work with it (something to do with the barcode?).

Stupid people.
Staffordshire University
Stoke-on-Trent
Visit website
Reply 2
Xtrm2Matt
Yeah it completely baffles me what the point in it is. I can clearly see why they need one at Stoke but on our campus?

I've always parked across the road by the courts but apprantely there was a huge traffic jam Monday morning stretching all down the road because of people waiting to get in to the main campus carparks.

My housemate also tells me that if you want to get through the barrier you need to get a new student card because the ones given out originally do not work with it (something to do with the barcode?).

Stupid people.

Then again we hardly ever get a say in anything that goes on at the university... Seems that if you want something doing you may as well be at Stoke campus or not care... :mad:

And RE the barcodes that sounds about right, they're rubbish on this year's cards, even the library machines have issues with some of them...
Reply 3
did anyone see the bus that broke down just in front of the barrier, so nobody could get past. The people stuck behind had to reverse onto the main road then go in through the exit
Reply 4
varsity tomorrow
Reply 5
d4v1d05
Then again we hardly ever get a say in anything that goes on at the university... Seems that if you want something doing you may as well be at Stoke campus or not care... :mad:

Sounds about right.

I had a meeting with one of the SU's marketting co-ordinators last week and she said that they are having a lot of problems with the SU team this year. Even they can't get the SU team to do anything.

shadowharv
did anyone see the bus that broke down just in front of the barrier, so nobody could get past. The people stuck behind had to reverse onto the main road then go in through the exit

That's class :biggrin:
Reply 6
Xtrm2Matt

Stupid people.

yeah was all the way on to the roundabout, then the bus broke down which didn't help which meant everyone having to reverse on to the main road and go up the exit road, which heard people say is illegal to reverse onto main road, with the fire station just being over the road sure they won't be happy, plus they never mentioned that they were starting it on the monday so people didn't know they had to do the cards, so the security people had to take swipe cards for people and explain what to do

people have got into the habit of driving through without swiping their cards when the barrier goes up so that makes it even more stupid for having it

even if someone who doesn't go to the uni goes through they can just drive round and park anyway
Reply 7
scorpion95
yeah was all the way on to the roundabout, then the bus broke down which didn't help which meant everyone having to reverse on to the main road and go up the exit road, which heard people say is illegal to reverse onto main road, with the fire station just being over the road sure they won't be happy, plus they never mentioned that they were starting it on the monday so people didn't know they had to do the cards, so the security people had to take swipe cards for people and explain what to do

people have got into the habit of driving through without swiping their cards when the barrier goes up so that makes it even more stupid for having it

even if someone who doesn't go to the uni goes through they can just drive round and park anyway

Illegal and incredibly dangerous considering it goes to a 40MPH just before the entrance...

I saw quite a lot of people just drive on through once someone swipes their card at the front also!
Reply 8
ive seen parents parking in the uni carparks waiting for their little ******* when they finish school. cheeky *************.

and tbh it isnt difficult to use. i saw some idiot just sat there about 2 metres away from it not doing anything. doesnt take a rocket scientist. pull up close and swipe your card or whatever you have to do
Reply 9
just drive through it in protest, but casually drive on, park, and walk to lesson like nothing happened.
Reply 10
Xtrm2Matt
they are having a lot of problems with the SU team this year. Even they can't get the SU team to do anything.

That shall change from August 1st :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending