The Student Room Group

S6 Subject choices -- crashing highers

My choice sheet for next year needs to be in for tomorrow, and I've been looking over some subjects.

For my prelims, I got:
Maths C
English C
Geography B
Computing A
Biology A

(Yeah I know my English and Maths grades aren't too great... but I was predicted an A in both of them subjects, which sucks lol)

We have to take a minimum of 4 subjects (3 if all of them are Advanced Highers)...

I was thinking of doing AH Biology & English (I know I got a C, my English teacher still recommended I do AH, because she knows I can do better... was an off day, I guess). I was also thinking I might do AH Geography as well.

My other option would be to do AH Biology, English and crashing two other highers, because my school doesn't do AH Computing... I was thinking about crashing higher business management and physics but crashing two advanced highers is probably a bit hard... what do you all think? Should I crash some highers or just go with 3 AH subjects?

(Sorry for the long-ish post)
Reply 1
what do you want to study at university?
I heard that Advanced higher is more about creative writeing elements and a folio, compared to the most painful subject ever higher, - if your higher teacher thinks you can do better you can bet that it's good advice!

I wouldn't worry about the grades unless you plan for university, I've found that I get away with just putting e.g

Higher maths
Higher english
Higher physics

on my CV, without even mentioning the grades I aquired.

AH biology is also a slightly different course, (congrats on your A)
i wouldnt recommend 3 AH, unless youre a brainbox, and no offense intended, but the people with 5As dropped AH cos they didnt want to do them anymore. they are ALOT of work. EDIT: UNLESS YOURE GOING TO ENGLAND OR 2ND YEAR HERE.

do the subject your doing at uni as an AH.
do a fun subject and interesting subjects.

AH english is UBER hard, and ALOT of work alot of essays and writing (MUCH MORE THAN THIS YEAR), only those (in my school) who are doing it are doing it as a degree!

physics would be hard without chemistry imo.

business is boring, but easy to do if you just learn facts.

[[ i do AH biology and higher physics if you want to know anything about it :p: )
Reply 4
Dado Prso
what do you want to study at university?

I was generally thinking of doing English literature (or something along that line, like English language).

I guess what I'm really asking is if crashing two highers is advisable.
I'm crashing higher business management and it's fine
derekp
I was generally thinking of doing English literature (or something along that line, like English language).

I guess what I'm really asking is if crashing two highers is advisable.

with two advanced higher; no. but is possible if you work your ARSE off.

if you want to do english, i wouldnt recommend doing sciences, AH biology is demanding to the extend that only those doing a bio degree are left in my class ( 12 down to 3) :p:

i would do 1 AH and then 3 highers?

any ones you did at SG that you could pick back up?

History would be helpful if doing eng lit.
Reply 7
I really wouldn't recommend crashing 2 Highers and doing 2 AHs at the same time. The workload in Advanced Higher is a big step up and crashing anything is difficult.

Are you thinking of staying in Scotland for uni or do you want to go to England/Wales? If you want to stay here, you'll most likely get unconditionals based on you Highers and they won't really mind what you're doing in 6th year (as long as you're doing something). In the rest of the UK it's a different story.
Reply 8
innerhollow
I would go with the 3 Advanced Highers definitely. They'll be more useful for if you're going to an English uni, and a lot of people do struggle with Crash Highers as Highers do demand a lot of prior knowledge really.

But if you find yourself going off Geography and want to go for the 2 Highers, I'd advise doing a stronger higher than Business Management. Crash Higher Economics would be a very good idea!

Right, ok, thanks. Our school doesn't do Economics, though :frown:

------------------------

LouisVuitton43
i wouldnt recommend 3 AH, unless youre a brainbox, and no offense intended, but the people with 5As dropped AH cos they didnt want to do them anymore. they are ALOT of work. EDIT: UNLESS YOURE GOING TO ENGLAND OR 2ND YEAR HERE.

do the subject your doing at uni as an AH.
do a fun subject and interesting subjects.

AH english is UBER hard, and ALOT of work alot of essays and writing (MUCH MORE THAN THIS YEAR), only those (in my school) who are doing it are doing it as a degree!

physics would be hard without chemistry imo.

business is boring, but easy to do if you just learn facts.

[[ i do AH biology and higher physics if you want to know anything about it :p: )

Ok, thanks for that. I'll be sure to keep that in mind. :smile:

------------

James-Thornton.
I heard that Advanced higher is more about creative writeing elements and a folio, compared to the most painful subject ever higher, - if your higher teacher thinks you can do better you can bet that it's good advice!

I wouldn't worry about the grades unless you plan for university, I've found that I get away with just putting e.g

Higher maths
Higher english
Higher physics

on my CV, without even mentioning the grades I aquired.

AH biology is also a slightly different course, (congrats on your A)

Thanks. :smile:

-----

Thanks for all the quick replies, btw. Much appreciated.
moregano
I really wouldn't recommend crashing 2 Highers and doing 2 AHs at the same time. The workload in Advanced Higher is a big step up and crashing anything is difficult.

Are you thinking of staying in Scotland for uni or do you want to go to England/Wales? If you want to stay here, you'll most likely get unconditionals based on you Highers and they won't really mind what you're doing in 6th year (as long as you're doing something). In the rest of the UK it's a different story.

if you crash something that involves what your good at youll be fine.

eg, computing > business > admin
english > history
chemistry & maths > physics

like i got As in chem and math, and got an A in my crash physics prelim :p:

as long as you dont be stupid and pick something completely weird... you should be ok.... (generally speaking obvv)

PS, OP; if youre likely to get an unconditional then you dont need to do as much work as you are thinking atm , so dont strain yourself.
Seems like an awful lot to be doing! Unless you're really interested in the AH subjects you want to take, I honestly wouldn't bother. The only AH I'm taking is English, and that's because I want to do English Literature too :smile: That being said, I'm also taking H Chemistry because I enjoy it, and because it'll be a break from essay writing, I'm aware it might seem irrelevant if I was to be offered a conditional, but I've also crashing H Geography, so they could be offered on that + AH English. Sixth year is only really taxing if you haven't achieved well in fifth year, which by the looks of your prelim results, you will :smile:
If you are really good at maths then higher physics is very easy. Most of unit 1 is about being fluent in negative numbers and graphs, unit 2 you basically learn the circuit rules then its more maths and what we've done of unit 3 is basically geometry. You also need to be good at algebra and having a good spacial awareness (and being able to think about how objects behave logically) will be a big help.

However be cautious, if you aren't too good at maths its very difficult. My friend isn't even crashing and she's finding higher physics hell.

From what I hear Bus Man is meant to be very easy if you have a reasonably good memory and common sense.

derekp
My choice sheet for next year needs to be in for tomorrow, and I've been looking over some subjects.

For my prelims, I got:
Maths C
English C
Geography B
Computing A
Biology A

(Yeah I know my English and Maths grades aren't too great... but I was predicted an A in both of them subjects, which sucks lol)

We have to take a minimum of 4 subjects (3 if all of them are Advanced Highers)...

I was thinking of doing AH Biology & English (I know I got a C, my English teacher still recommended I do AH, because she knows I can do better... was an off day, I guess). I was also thinking I might do AH Geography as well.

My other option would be to do AH Biology, English and crashing two other highers, because my school doesn't do AH Computing... I was thinking about crashing higher business management and physics but crashing two advanced highers is probably a bit hard... what do you all think? Should I crash some highers or just go with 3 AH subjects?

(Sorry for the long-ish post)

WilliamWallace
I am currently in 5th year and also have to choose my subjects for 6th year. At the moment I am considering doing an accounting/economics degree after 6th year. The columns aren't great for me and this is what I've decided to choose:
AH MAths
Higher Philosophy
Higher Information systems
Higher Physcology

Philosophy and Physcology have just been taken to fill up my time table really as the school insist we do 4 subjects. Do you think this would be a good combination considering my the course I want to do after leaving school. P.S this year I am doing English,Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Business management (all highers, predicted 4 As and a B in English)

Have you guys considered talking to your head of year? My school has the exact same policy about four subjects or three AHs but a 6th year told me that (in our school at least) if you were a reasonably good student, if you went down and talked to someone then they would let you take less, that the policy was essentially just to stop people who were gonna treat it like a skive. If you convince them that you're planning to work hard they might let you.
Blu3j4yw4y

Have you guys considered talking to your head of year? My school has the exact same policy about four subjects or three AHs but a 6th year told me that (in our school at least) if you were a reasonably good student, if you went down and talked to someone then they would let you take less, that the policy was essentially just to stop people who were gonna treat it like a skive. If you convince them that you're planning to work hard they might let you.

my schools like this two.

i got 5 As so they knew i wasnt going to skive.
i do one advanced higher and 2 crash highers (for fun :p: )... :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending