The Student Room Group

AS Computing - Programming Help?

Hi guys

I'm currently studying AS Computing and have my second exam coming up in April/June. This one I believe focuses mainly on the programming side of things and we are being taught to use Visual Basic.

Can any of you suggest places/methods to improve my programming skills outside of lessons so that I can practise in order to make the exam easier for myself? Most tutorials I seem to find are somewhat useless.

Also, I think the exam is based around making Console applications, so anything you can suggest for this would be great.

Thanks!
Reply 1
Which board are you doing it with?

The best way to improve programming skills is to practise a lot and look at where your errors are. Obviously it's not always easy to think up stuff. Feel free to post here for any specific help.
Reply 2
Practice.

Download VB 2008 express and just make applications with the help of the internet and books if you've got any.
Reply 3
Can't remember what exam board it is, but we just received a skeleton code which appears to be a naughts and crosses game. AQA maybe?

I've noticed a few threads on here about it, but they are mostly written in Pascal or Java, whereas I have only been taught to use VB.

I understand I have to practise, but I'm not entirely sure what I have to practise. Some of the coding we do in class is pretty simple, although I did have a hard time trying to create a program that generates a random number and the user has to correctly guess which number it selected... (Think that was like a practise task, just incase the exam asks us to change the code so that the user plays against the computer)
Reply 4
Buy a Dummies book on programming. They helped me the Summer before I started sixth form :smile:
Reply 5
Learn Python.
Reply 6
war833
Practice.

Download VB 2008 express and just make applications with the help of the internet and books if you've got any.

You can get the full new version of Visual Studio from Microsoft DreamSpark if your a student :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending