The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Paedophile ex-priest living in StAs, running Amberside guest house.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/newsnight/8556659.stm

The article above

Former priest Bill Carney was named as one of the worst cases in Dublin's Catholic diocese in the Murphy report into clerical abuse there. However, for the last 10 years he has been free to live quietly in Britain.

Newsnight's Olenka Frenkiel has investigated his case and tracked him down in the Canary Islands.

In its 40 pages on Carney, the Murphy report said that his was one of the worst cases the commission investigated and that the Church's handling of his case was "nothing short of catastrophic".

"It was inept, self-serving and for the best part of 10 years displayed no obvious concern for the welfare of children," the report said.

In 1992, the Church convicted Carney internally, under Canon law, of child sexual abuse.

But this compulsive paedophile refused to leave the parish house. So the Church paid him £30,000 to go away.

He moved to Cheltenham and then to Scotland, where he has lived for the last 10 years running a family-friendly guest house in St Andrews.

Back in Dublin, it took Bridie's son Paul Dwyer 21 years to come forward, but in 2004 he told the police about his rape.

The police said they had received two other complaints like his and sent the file to the Irish director of public prosecutions (DPP), but the DPP said there was not enough evidence to prosecute.

"So the case stopped," his mother told me, "and, a couple of weeks later Paul committed suicide. He couldn't handle it any more.

Wow.
This is seriously the most messed-up thing I've ever heard about this place.

Anyone else heard about this? Any thoughts?

MEX
Reply 1
Sure its messed up but people can change.

I don't want to sound too relaxed about such a sever crime, but i've been in a comunity where information like this was leaked (by our local paper i think) twice. Once was a false accusation and an old man's house was petrol bombed. The later more recent case the accused pleaded guilty, but even so his family should not have been subject to abuse leaving their house.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 2
'a family friendly geust house..' - I'm sure it was..
Reply 3
So what? Its not like he's running an orphanage is it.
Reply 4
terpineol
So what? Its not like he's running an orphanage is it.

Nah, nothing that saintly. Just a family friendly guest house in a town with a school and many families.

When I was reading the article I was absolutely shocked that he's here, in "the bubble"...
Reply 5
I think the main problem is the fact that he hasn't been punished for his crimes? (unless I'm wrong)
Reply 6
cool. i'll have to pay him a visit one day
Reply 7
Square
I think the main problem is the fact that he hasn't been punished for his crimes? (unless I'm wrong)

Yeah, that's what's annoying. Plus kiddy fiddling is just absolutely despicable.

volts

You must be a serial moron, I can't neg you for another 12 days so that means you've annoyed me in the last three weeks or so. :frown:
Reply 8
M_E_X
Yeah, that's what's annoying. Plus kiddy fiddling is just absolutely despicable.

You must be a serial moron, I can't neg you for another 12 days so that means you've annoyed me in the last three weeks or so. :frown:

your fault for getting annoyed so easily, eh?
Reply 9
M_E_X
Nah, nothing that saintly. Just a family friendly guest house in a town with a school and many families.

When I was reading the article I was absolutely shocked that he's here, in "the bubble"...

Where do you expect him to go, the moon? Pretty much every village, town, city in the country will have families. At least in St-Andrews you can argue that parents are likely to be more responsible in keeping their children safe then somewhere like Dundee.
Reply 10
volts

that better not be a vigilante jutice kind of visit.
Reply 11
.:Emmy:.
that better not be a vigilante jutice kind of visit.

It certainly will be. I will not rest until the world is free of paediatricians

Latest

Trending

Trending