The Student Room Group

Hate your name is Richard Dawkins

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
scherzi
I don't hate him, but he's a moron

If he is a moron then we need a new word to describe the vast majority of people on earth who are greatly intellectually inferior.
snowshine
Have you watched any of his documentaries? He really doesn't...
(Example: The Muslim man formerly known as Joseph Cohen / the Christian Misnister Ted something-something)

He's make it clear how unhappy he was with channel 4 naming that documentary "the root of all evil?"

He doesn't believe religion is the root of all evil, he makes it very clear.

I certainly understand his passion against it, and if I were half as articulate I'd speak out against it too.

It's a load of utter tosh (I'm talking about organised religion and worship, like Dawkins - I'm not commenting on the possibilty of A 'God', just not THE 'God' that we're told so much about) being insimilated into the daily lives and routines of billions of children around the world.

And I have a problem with that. I have a problem with the problems it causes (you know what I mean), the ignorance it allows to fester under the guise of 'God did it'... it's history (burning scientists, holding back progress, the organisations taking money for themselves, the similarities to pagan religions, etc etc etc to infinity), the fact that correlations have been found between lack of education and belief, the CRUSADES, BURNINGS, TERRORISM (OOOOH I SAID IT).

If the man wants to speak out about it then he bloody well should, and I thank God (metaphorically of course) that somebody
finally is!

I think he's a blood hero.
Reply 22
Sabertooth
Probably because the **** they spout doesn't only effect them it hurts so many millions of people who take what they say as the truth.

It's like asking why do we hate terrorists? After all we could just let the taliban believe their rubbish and the poor Afghans can believe it too but their crap hurts so many people that's why we need to step in and stop it. If every member of the taliban sat in caves and chatted with each other about why they're right and everyone is wrong and did not try to force their filth onto other people I'd see no problem with them.

Beat me to it. :smile:
Reply 23
MissFanatical
He's make it clear how unhappy he was with channel 4 naming that documentary "the root of all evil?"

He doesn't believe religion is the root of all evil, he makes it very clear.

I certainly understand his passion against it, and if I were half as articulate I'd speak out against it too.

It's a load of utter tosh (I'm talking about organised religion and worship, like Dawkins - I'm not commenting on the possibilty of A 'God', just not THE 'God' that we're told so much about) being insimilated into the daily lives and routines of billions of children around the world.

And I have a problem with that. I have a problem with the problems it causes (you know what I mean), the ignorance it allows to fester under the guise of 'God did it'... it's history (burning scientists, holding back progress, the organisations taking money for themselves, the similarities to pagan religions, etc etc etc to infinity), the fact that correlations have been found between lack of education and belief, the CRUSADES, BURNINGS, TERRORISM (OOOOH I SAID IT).

If the man wants to speak out about it then he bloody well should, and I thank God (metaphorically of course) that somebody
finally is!

I think he's a blood hero.

Couldnt have put it better myself!
Reply 24
snowshine
So what? Let them believe in the crap that's spewed at them--why does he need to hate them about it?

Look at the blatantly homophobic, racist and misogynistic ideology that the church is advocating.

The pope's constant refusal to allow Africa to use contraception, costing the lives of millions every year.

Childhood 'indoctrination' and the spread of pious disinformation throughout schools.

Medical science - such as stem cell research - which is being compromised by the bigoted and well-financed ignoramuses.

And this is just Christianity, I haven't even started on other religions.
Reply 25
snowshine
So what? Let them believe in the crap that's spewed at them
I'm just amazed that anyone can take his drivel.

I don't understand what you're trying to say?
L i b
Dawkins is one of those ***** who isn't content with believing himself to be right, but has to spend his life on a hopeless quest to convince everyone - absolutely everyone - to believe he is too.

I'm not particularly fond of Richard Dawkins myself, so I would agree with you to a degree, but it struck me that your description is also remarkably apt to describe a lot of Christians (and, of course, other religious people) too - is it not in the scriptures to 'spread the good news' and all?

So with that in mind, I suppose we might say that Dawkins is merely countering what he believes to be a pack of lies in the same way those views are being spread.
I dislike his views, and I dislike the way he puts them out and throws down anyone with a faith system, especially since a lot of his arguments are flawed.

That doesn't mean I hate him. Hate is a strong word. I just dislike him.
Love the guy, he brings the awkward and difficult questions to the forefront and constantly reminds people religion is not some sort of 'special subject' that you can just believe in without rationalizing your beliefs, much to the annoyance of some people I know, who are of the 'but why can't I just believe it?' mindsets. If we are to live our lives believing things just because we want them to be true, or because we 'just have a feeling', then I don't see why common racists, prophets of world destruction and the like are so despised, given they operate under roughly the same amount of evidence.
Reply 29
saalih
dawkins arguments days are gone

Really? Please elaborate without copying and pasting another individuals writings or providing a link to another website.
Elicit
Really? Please elaborate without copying and pasting another individuals writings or providing a link to another website.

The guy you quoted is a militant theist, and his best response to anything I ever said was "God loves us all equally", or some other mystical fantasy like that.

Don't waste your time.
Reply 31
Drunk Punx
The guy you quoted is a militant theist, and his best response to anything I ever said was "God loves us all equally", or some other mystical fantasy like that.

Don't waste your time.

Yeah, you are probably right.

Ps I love the picture in your sig lol.
Elicit
Yeah, you are probably right.

Ps I love the picture in your sig lol.

Aha, cheers. :smile:

Also, I'm waiting for G8D to find this thread... I'm pretty sure he'll have something to say about all this.
Imagine if Dawkin's had a deathbed conversion. What's the odds?
This thread would have been so much better if the title had been grammatically correct; i.e. 'Hate, thy name is Richard Dawkins.'
Reply 35
My two cents:

I loved his book "Evolution: The Greatest Show on Earth", I found it very interesting as my passion is evolution and evidence from such studies as the silver foxes becoming more dog like when selectively bred for the most tame was very interesting indeed.

However, from what I've heard from philosophy students who know of his more religious work, they find him incredibly arrogant and stuck up; thrusting his ideas on others. I began reading his book "God Delusion" when I was around 14, at a time when I was incredibly atheist, bordering on Anton LaVey satanism. And while I was reading I totally agreed with his idea that anyone of a religious standing was basically delusional, looking for some kind of control within the chaos. Since then I've grown up a hell of a lot and have more of an understanding and acceptance, I guess others don't always grow up to :P

Edit: I am still very much atheist, thinking that religion was manifested to control the masses, that scriptures are just stories, etc.
Reply 36
concubine
Nah, he's cool yo. He entertains me.

Ditto. He's funny, he should have became a Lollard instead . . . :woo:
Dawkins is quickly becoming a grumpy old man that is endearing to some but not taken particularly seriously. He's become a shadow of his former self.
I like Richard Dawkins, he's got balls.

Most people recognise him for being an atheist but actually I associate him more with his work on evolutionary biology - The Selfish Gene was an excellent, almost revolutionary book in the field of evolutionary biology.
He's as nutty as those fundies.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending