The Student Room Group
North Campus, Birmingham City University
Birmingham City University
Birmingham
Visit website

PGCE Primary - Birmingham City University

Hi,

I have an interview in the above college. I have a Maths and English test as part of this. Can anyone point where I might find examples or do you know what they usually ask you.

As well I am Irish and need to know stuff on English Primary School system etc.

Any help would be much appreciated.

David

Scroll to see replies

Hi. Dont worry about this interview! I had one and found it to be not as bad as you would think, although I did early years!

The maths test that was given to us was like we were marking a Yr5's (i think) questions, and there were 10 questions. None of them were hard...and some even included 56 divided by (blank) equalled 8. There were some % of numbers, and some fractions!

The english test was also fairly easy. They gave you a question, Im not entirely sure what it was now, and you had to base it on your current topic in education (mine was whether there was a difference in performance levels between low class and high class families)!

You honestly shouldnt worry! You will be fine! :biggrin:
North Campus, Birmingham City University
Birmingham City University
Birmingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Thanks for your help, I am worried a bit as the issues in the UK may be different to other countries like Ireland. Anyway a sincere thanks for your help in relation to this.
Reply 3
hello i'm also looking at the topic of how children perform depending on their income any helpful articles or anything i could use? would really appreciate any help! x
Yes, read the Education White Paper that came out last year. There is plenty re how children on free school meals don't do so well academically. Whens your interview, mine is next week!
Reply 5
I've received and accepted an offer for a place on this course. I'm from Sheffield so will be looking for people to live with as its too far to commute and I don't fancy going into halls or Perry Barr to be honest. I've even set up a facebook page for pgce entrants in 2011/12.

Search: Birmingham City University PGCE Students - Year 2011/12 (unofficial)
Hi

I got a conditional offer for BCU :smile:

Have you found anyone to live with yet Angles?

Sarah x
Reply 7
i have also had an interview at BCU but not heard anything yet :-/
how long ws it untill you heard that you had been accepted? congrats on getting a place :-) im so nervous...
I've also got a place at BCU, so excited! It's the only thing keeping me going to finish my 3rd year!!!!

Sarah when was your interview? I met a Sarah on my interview day, November 17th??

Laura xx
Hey!
I am starting the Secondary Music PGCE course this September...
Do you know what you are doing for living yet?! I have no idea what to do! Ideally, I don't want to live in halls and don't really want that epic student lifestyle again!
Laura xx
Hey all!

Sadia - I think it was about 3 weeks after I found out. It took ages cause it was while they were still allocating places.

Laura - My interview was in Jan so it wasn't me. What are you studying now and where? I don't know if anyone from my interview day got a place yet.

Other Laura - Good luck with the music! I rent a house in Leicester so i'll probably stay there, but my parents live in Bromsgrove (not far from Birmingham) so I might stay with them. I'm not sure yet.

xxx
Reply 11
im on a different course at the millenium point campus, but i just phoned them directly (didnt go thru ucas) and they sent me a letter within days with unconditional acceptance, then they registered me with ucas. I had no interviews or anything, got my uni place and finance/accomodation sorted in a 2 week period.
Original post by sarahmargarita

Hey sarah,

I'm currently at keele studying music. I live there at the moment, so I'm going to be really sad to leave! Moving home to do my pgce, i live in wolverhampton so it's not very far!! x
Reply 13
I had my interview in April and have heard back frOm
Them. They said there are no places left and have put me on reserve. I'm
Gutted to read that people have had interviews from as far back as nov! Fingers crossed that somebody will take a place elsewhere or take a gap year. Well done to all that have got a place :-)
Ive got an interview on Monday for the Early Years Branch!!!

Any pointers, for any part of the day, bit worried about all parts of it!!!!!

going into the childrens centre, written/maths task and poster presentation
Original post by harobpqueen81
Ive got an interview on Monday for the Early Years Branch!!!

Any pointers, for any part of the day, bit worried about all parts of it!!!!!

going into the childrens centre, written/maths task and poster presentation

How did your interview go? Heard anything back yet?
Reply 16
Hi I have an interview for Primary PGCE on wednesday, can anyone please give me some tips? and also i know that it says 9am-4.30 but just wondering if it is actually that long? Also is there parking nearby? Helpp!! :frown:
Original post by Faheemah26
Hi I have an interview for Primary PGCE on wednesday, can anyone please give me some tips? and also i know that it says 9am-4.30 but just wondering if it is actually that long? Also is there parking nearby? Helpp!! :frown:

I had my interview on Wednesday
The interview consists of a group discussion (the uni give you a statement when you arrive and you have a little time to prep) followed by a break and then a general knowledge test (English, math. science, history, RE, art, music, PE) The group is split into two, and you either do the group discussion first or the written assessment first. For the group discussion you are split into small groups of 4 and are each given a statement each of you have to lead the discussion with your statement for 10 minutes. It isn't too bad tbh.

The morning is finished with a reflective writing piece.

After lunch you are told whether you have been successful or not (All of us where) and are then given a presentation and an individual interview. There are a few lecturer's interviewing and so depending on where you are on the list depends on when you will finish I was last, but left no later than 3.30pm. No idea about parking as I got the train in from Tamebridge Parkway (left my car there just cause its awful driving into Birmingham o a morning)
Hello everyone.

I've been invited to an interview for the PGCE Primary and Early Years course, on Wednesday 24th April 2013. I only have a few days to prepare since the time I recieved my offer of an interview.

Has anyone got any tips? What is the general knowledge test like? I'm really worried about this, the group discussion and the written test.

SO NERVOUS!
Reply 19
Hi guys!

I've got a place starting in Sept 2013 and am looking for a house to house share with my friend!!
Is anybody wanting 2 house-mates or know of where I can look as im from Wales its a bit worrying!
thank you
bianca xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending