The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Studying abroad at Leeds, have some questions...

I'm at a ridiculously tiny school (1700 people!) in Maryland that I'm really not thrilled with, so I'm hoping to get out of here and go abroad for at least a year. Leeds sounds amazing so far, I just need some convincing :smile:

I told my advisor I was thinking about Leeds, and the first thing she told me was 'it's ugly'. I know there's one building that everyone hates, but I looked on the website and google and the campus doesn't seem that bad. is it that terrible? also, I mean I'm a social person but is Leeds overwhelmingly a party school?

And if you're taking English or Communications/Journalism classes, how are they?
Reply 1
Leeds is a good representation of northern cities - there is a mixture of the old back-to-back terrace houses and in the centre there are sparkly new buildings. Personally I think the campus and city centre are very smart both of which are under constant renovation. I absolutely love having lessons in the parkinson building. At the minute they're digging up the road outside the union and making it prettier. The studenty areas off campus can be grubby and bin strikes don't help, but that's life.

Leeds definitely lives up to its party name. I know a few american exchange students and they all sort of stick in a group. If you want to meet Brits then just make sure you make the most of the first few weeks when everyone wants to make new friends, and join societies etc.
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Leeds is a typical Northern town - not much greenery and a little bit grubby in places, but it has some stunning architecture and is pretty smart around the centre. TBH, I wouldn't let the opinion of 'it's ugly' put you off, unless you're studying Architecture!
Reply 3
its definatley not ugly. but it depends on what youre used to looking at.
Reply 4
kiss_me_now9
Leeds is a typical Northern town - not much greenery and a little bit grubby in places, but it has some stunning architecture and is pretty smart around the centre. TBH, I wouldn't let the opinion of 'it's ugly' put you off, unless you're studying Architecture!

A typical northern town is somewhere like Huddersfield or Bolton, not Leeds. If you're saying it's a little bit grubby with not much greenery, well yes, it is a city, but it does have places like Roundhay Park, Kirkstall Abbey, and the Yorkshire Dales in close proximity.

Latest