The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Music Scene

Hey,

I'm a really big music enthusiast. Been playing drums and guitar for a number of years and have a band locally. What I am hoping to do is pull a few other students together and form a little band in uni, just for kicks or if it goes well maybe gig at uni venues (if thats possible?).

Will the uni be able to provide a band room or some equipment? Will it be possible to play at the uni?

I know the music scene in leeds itself is pretty diverse and there is another thread floating about but it doesn't really help.

Hope sum1 can help me out.

Cheers,

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Some of the halls have their own music practice rooms so look into that. Outside of halls I do know I have friends in a band who hire somewhere as a band practice place but I couldn't tell you any details.
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
Freud
Some of the halls have their own music practice rooms so look into that. Outside of halls I do know I have friends in a band who hire somewhere as a band practice place but I couldn't tell you any details.

Would you mind jsut naming a few that do have please? I'll look into it obv but if you can give me a head start thatd' be great.
Reply 3
Flipsta
Would you mind jsut naming a few that do have please? I'll look into it obv but if you can give me a head start thatd' be great.

Off the top of my head Oxley, Boddington and Devonshire, Probably more but I haven't a clue.
Reply 4
Freud
Off the top of my head Oxley, Boddington and Devonshire, Probably more but I haven't a clue.

Cheers buddy.
Don't bother with practising in halls, the facilities are mainly for classical type stuff, pianos etc. Spend a few quid and book in at a proper band practice studio like The Rock & Roll Circus near Kirkstall/Armley. Pretty cheap and has good equipment.

As for venues, there's a million. Try http://www.leedsmusicscene.net for a nice list.
Wow, read my mind when making this thread. I am in a similar situation in trying to pick my accom.
I am realllllly reallllllllly aching to start playing music with others as A levels have hindered me playing out a lot.
SUBSCRIBED.
Reply 7
Yea same! what you can do in manc is rent a practice room works out like £5 each for a few hours. What everyone play looking to start band when get there?!
Reply 8
I'm a guitarist / vocalist...will def be looking to get a hard rock / classic metal band going once I get there..in fact it will be one of the first things I do!!

Been looking at accomodation with band rooms but i kinda agree, ultimately theyre gonna be crap and itll limit your accomodation choices un-necessarily - a lot of private rehearsal spaces in cities are very reasonable
Reply 9
I'm also looking to be playing, If anyone else may be interested in playing some light rock or w/e just pm me with your preferred instrument and your style.

Good luck on your applications ppl.

guitarromantic
Don't bother with practising in halls, the facilities are mainly for classical type stuff, pianos etc. Spend a few quid and book in at a proper band practice studio like The Rock & Roll Circus near Kirkstall/Armley. Pretty cheap and has good equipment.

As for venues, there's a million. Try http://www.leedsmusicscene.net for a nice list.

Thanks mate for the info!
Reply 10
I'm in!
Reply 11
NowBor
I'm in!

PM ME NAUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!
Does anyone know the rules about music equipment in halls? I have quite a lot of stuff I want to bring, big speakers and rack units etc
Just be smart about it. You probably don't need a 1x12 cab in a hall of residence, and if you get a band together and start gigging you'd probably play through a PA and only need a smaller amp you could mic up. I took a 50w Marshall with me which barely got turned up past 3 even when I was the only one there over Easter. When we had band practices I just used the amps in the room we hired.
Leeds music scene is great in general, as for practicing a lot of the halls have practice rooms and if you have sympathetic neighbours they'll let you practice in your room (not the same obv. though)
guitarromantic
Just be smart about it. You probably don't need a 1x12 cab in a hall of residence, and if you get a band together and start gigging you'd probably play through a PA and only need a smaller amp you could mic up. I took a 50w Marshall with me which barely got turned up past 3 even when I was the only one there over Easter. When we had band practices I just used the amps in the room we hired.

I think you mean a 4 x 12...

I have a 2 x 12 cab and a 4 unit rack with my power amp in it... then my pod.
I think I might just bring the one guitar and then 1 wee midi keyboard as a I have a big stereo I want to bring.
I've heard that many of the H.P flats have a big sound system in their kitchen for parties and stuff so I might bring my 300 watt active speaker after xmas :sly: mwahaha
ooh may have to watch this thread, i wouldn't mine joining a band again (i play guitar and bass), i've been in a death metal band for a couple fo years but tbh i fancy a change to something a bit less..brutal?
Oops yeah, 4x12. Or something equally oversized for a bedroom. As far as I know, no halls have any sound systems that come with the rooms. Be careful you don't get robbed too.
guitarromantic
Oops yeah, 4x12. Or something equally oversized for a bedroom. As far as I know, no halls have any sound systems that come with the rooms. Be careful you don't get robbed too.

Nono, I mean someone always brings a huge one and ends up sticking it in the living room/kitchen :p:
Reply 19
no

Latest