Visit website
Reply 1
Go to where you feel you'd be happiest :smile:
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Sheffield, if it was my decision.

I visited Lancaster on a open day, and for me, it was a bit too.... quiet. If you know what I mean?

Sheffield has a bit more going on and, as you say, has a better reputation for Law- which is always a good thing.

So, Sheffield.
Reply 3
Go where you feel happy since you'll have to stay there all that time.
Also I have been to Sheffield lately, and it's too northern for me
Lancaster, but as i'm here i'm bound to be a bit bias. I wouldn't go to much of the reputation in this case tbh, if you look at the league tables they are next to each other for law (sheffield 30, lancaster 31) so i honestly don't think it will make a big difference. go wherever you think you will enjoy the most.
Sheffield.

I love Lancaster, don't get me wrong, but as the person above said - it is quiet. The campus is out of town. The university has the suicide rate of a city in the Arctic circle. If you like politically right-on hippies and lots of solitude, choose Lancaster. Sheffield is lovely, has lots to do and if you're bored, you can go elsewhere. That's the maddening thing about Lancaster: it is far from other places too.
Reply 6
I'm from Lancaster and go to uni at Sheffield, I would definitely reccommend Sheffield. It's a much better city and a much nicer uni. Lancaster has nothing going for it IMO - at least not in your case.
sevendaughters
Sheffield.

I love Lancaster, don't get me wrong, but as the person above said - it is quiet. The campus is out of town. The university has the suicide rate of a city in the Arctic circle. If you like politically right-on hippies and lots of solitude, choose Lancaster. Sheffield is lovely, has lots to do and if you're bored, you can go elsewhere. That's the maddening thing about Lancaster: it is far from other places too.

I'm at lancaster and i honestly don't think there is lots of solitude! i don't know about the suicude rate really but everyone i know loves it here (don't know any politically right-on hippies either)! OP if you like big cities then sheffield will be the better option, but honestly i don't find it boring or isolating here at all (If i want to get off campus then buses run every 5 minutes or so and the walk into town is gorgeous), if you do want to go out then manchester and preston are both quite close (especially for day trips) and the scenery is beautiful.

just felt the need to defend my uni there slightly :p: no its not a big city so obviously if you want that then it is not the best option but the vast majority of people here don't find it boring or isolating at all.
@lostandconfused

I suppose volume is what you make of it, but compare Lancaster to Liverpool or Manchester, or even a campus uni like Roehampton or Glamorgan and it's just eerie. I think enjoying Lancaster is more about enjoying periods of calm and a small town.

Manchester and Preston are reachable (who'd want to go to Preston though?) but the train is sehr expensive.

I like Lancaster, please don't misunderstand me, it's just too quiet for most.

Latest

Trending

Trending