The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

theharrovian
I'm sorry mate, we don't have the right to make such important decisions for you. But I'm going to say Harrow because I have already been indoctrinated by the school's prevalent propaganda system.

Oh lol don't take my post too seriously!
It was more out of sarcasm, knowing the two school's rivalry because of their annual cricket match at Lord's. I myself am going to Charterhouse.
theharrovian
i take it in the ass and u guys all need to get a life u utter freaks

Did it really take you almost two months to come up with those peurile responses? Doesn't say much for Harrow, does it?
Reply 202
Original post by SatSep12
The man providing the sponsorships called them "rough diamonds." - One of the most bourgeoisie quotes I've heard in a long time!

Why so negative guys? What you glean from any experience is a matter of perspective. Any individual; or group of (i.e. families), with the desire to apply, challenge, and make sacrifices to uplift their prospects can’t be sniffed at. A good litmus test of how balanced some of the below conveyed gripes are would be to ask ourselves, as we watch the show again "What have I done to uplift myself"?

These children are amazing, at such a young age the level of discipline and focus shown is truly challenging. Anyone who has attended a selection centre for a top job can testify how daunting the whole process is. Their academic prowess alone is impressive, juggling that with a range of other life pursuits; well how many people can boast of that?

The children set aside; Peter Beckwith seems to have rattled some commenter’s cages. For the record, this isn't about the man. I don't know any more about him than the short bio on the show. But to put into context his contribution to others (namely the 37+ lads he has sponsored amounting to nearly 7.5 million pounds), consider how many under privileged children could benefit from the highest quality education if other wealthy individuals thought to socially invest like Peter? I can't fault the man on that. Weather he comes across self-important or not. The fact is he gave his money to a stranger for the chance of a better life. Let's not forget Peter received a similar opportunity himself and made good of it. He saw the benefit and repaid it in kind. Personally, I would have relished such an opportunity at that age. I went to a state primary and secondary school in South-east London. What a nightmare!

Nobody wanted to learn, teachers would go home crying because the class was so disruptive, you were bullied for showing any desire to learn or for doing well. All the children wanted to do was skip school, make fun of your non-branded trainers and try and receive sexual favours from the opposite sex in the toilets. I left achieving some of the highest grades in my year. But in comparison to others I met at university, I was small fry.

I remember going to school, every day feeling wasted! I wasn't challenged to excel, even though I felt I had a lot more to give and a deep passion to explore and learn more. This was partly down to the environment and partly down to the standard of resources and experiences available. Most of the teacher’s energy, and time was spent breaking up fights or trying to get the class to be quiet, long enough to be able to deliver the lesson.
How many other thousands of children feel the same way? It's easy to ‘troll’ and critique. Where are the suggestions of a better way or alternative education system?

For the most part, a few of the comments ring true. ‘Usually’ individual determination to do well in life is a personal choice. You either have it or you don’t, you either make a success of your life or you blame everything and everyone around you for your failures.

But is that the full story or the point of the programme? I think it isn’t about doing well or not, that depends on your ‘perspective’ and value set.
I don’t even think it’s about who is privileged, what that stands for, or whether some wealthy guy is ‘bougie’, arrogant, or not. I think the programme highlights, more importantly; the need to fulfil ones ‘full’ potential, the strong desire even the youngest of society feel to satisfy this ambition, and what is out there to help people achieve it. Anyone who would rather convince the lads on the show, and similar children, they are wasting their time (and by suggesting so would be akin to killing a person’s dreams), needs to rethink their motives.

For the record Peter used ‘god’ with a small ‘g’ too purposely emphasize the fact he isn’t a god. He was just highlighting the gravitas he felt often when deciding who to bestow such an opportunity too. He literally had the ability to expose a child, whom otherwise more than likely would not get the opportunity to receive, the same quality of input received by;

Seven former British Prime Ministers, the first Prime Minister of India. Notable business people (including DeBeers chairman Nicky Oppenheimer, Pret a Manger founder Julian Metcalfe, Island Records founder Chris Blackwell), two Wimbledon champions (Spencer Gore and Frank Hadow) as well as FA Cup founder C.W. Alcock and current England rugby international Billy Vunipola. Significant people in the world of arts and media including actors Benedict Cumberbatch and Cary Elwes, singer James Blunt. It might not be a ticket to Oxbridge, if that is even a De facto ambition of those who attend the school, although going on the list above Harrow School seems to have a habit of attracting and turning out successful people.

I thought this was relevant: “Had I the heavens' embroidered cloths, Enwrought with golden and silver light, The blue and the dim and the dark cloths Of night and light and the half light, I would spread the cloths under your feet: But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.” W.B. Yeats
Reply 203
Original post by theharrovian
As a Harrovian, I don't agree with much that is being said in this thread. One of my best friends is a Beckwith Scholar (in fact he was shown at the end of the show), and he is probably the most academically talented person I have ever met. Never underestimate a boy that is predicted 14 A*s at GCSE-level.

To be honest, what Beckwith has done is give these children an opportunity to be taught at one of the best secondary institutions in the world. Although I am not a Beckwith Scholar, I do have a scholarship and I know how important the money can be to many families, including mine. I agree that a state school education does not necessarily lead to mediocrity. That statement itself is ludicrous and makes no sense. However, Harrow provides an all-rounded education, and it is these combined aspects that make it a good school. I also believe that the teaching is better, and thus gives pupils a chance to challenge and develop further. For example, there are boys in my year that have been put in a special maths division due to their extra ability. I doubt many schools would happily create such a scheme for cases like this - i.e. one that is not completely extraordinary.

In addition, the notion that all Harrovians are rich ***** is just... untrue. Admittedly some act like posh a***holes. But many rely on bursaries and scholarships to come. Without my scholarship, I would not be able to attend Harrow, and I am very grateful for the monetary assistance I have received. Harrow is not a particulary academic school, but its all-rounded aspects and services are matched by very few schools worldwide.

Although there are aspects of the school that are ridiculously and wrongly exaggerated in the show, I believe that Harrow can give each pupil a solid platform to continue adulthood from. And so what if the Beckwith Scholars thank the man that has provided them with a path onto this platform? Let's peruse an analogy. If Peter Beckwith paid your rent and your university fees, would you thank him back and inform him about your academic progress. The answer, I think, would be a resounding yes.

There have been those who have attacked the Beckwith Scholarships for being too selective. This is undoubtedly correct. However, we all know that money is limited. If every candidate got a scholarship, the money would run out at some point, and more deserving candidates that apply afterwards will not be able to join the Harrow society. It is merely a result of "sustainable development". Money does not grow on trees, and certainly not on Peter Beckwith.

The parents are quite pushy though, aren't they? Personally, I'm glad Krishan got the scholarship, because his parents were the only ones that didn't seem to be too demanding of their children.

I hope I don't get negged too much for this...

Spot on, excellently balancedresponse. P.s I wouldn’t worry about the 'Trolls' out there. It’s an increasinglyworrying internet culture which I find pointless and droll.

Latest