The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Don't think critical path analysis or decision tree can come up as there arn't any plans mentioned in the case study. There might be questions related to some ratio's. APT gives them. If you dont have em i could copy it on here.

Havn't revised much at all, all im doing is reading through the APT. Sorta worried since i had a writing block in my marketing exam which i probably got a U in now...

EDIT: in the jan paper the first question was asking candidates to calculate ARR and PBP, so we might be asked to calculate some ratio's too.
Reply 41
There was a Jan paper for F297? I can't find it on the OCR site :s-smilie:

What sort of ratios do you think they will ask us to calculate if they ask that? Or do you think the 13 mark Q might just ask us a simple analysis and expect us to bring in a few ratios? Dreading this exam! :eek3:
Reply 42
Yeah there will definitely be a calculation question, and then an essay question based on the financial stuff following it, but the calculation wont necessarily be one of the ratios/percentages for 2009, it could be any type of calculation from the whole A level spec. It's the same old thing, not knowing what's going to come up really :o:

Ideally, you'd know how to calculate all of the 2009 figures as well as having the figures themselves memorized. Personally, i'm just memorizing the figures as I know I wont remember how to work them all out!
They are most likely to ask you to calculate the ratios for 1)a) then apply them/analyse them in 1)b)...its times like these i'm glad i did the accounting option in jan :biggrin:
Reply 44
And it's times like this I regret taking business studies! But then again all subjects are stressful I guess.

Oh well, hopefully info in APT will suffice to get me through this. Ratio's are most likely to be on 2009 I think. I'd be really pissed if they just gave us some new figures and told us to make calculations on them on the day.
Reply 45
Ye as above, they can give us any new information they like in the exam so whether they include a critical path analysis or not is up to them. However though, it looks very unlikely as there's no indication of them wanting to undertake any projects so that could rule out ARR or investment appraisal etc as well as critical path?
okay sorry if im being really stupid but 1a) will that not just be calculating figures(if so what) and 1b) analysing those?
or can the layout be different and not have any calculations for 1a) and actually ask a proper essay question about ratios and all sorts?if thats the case what will 1b) part be?

sorryy if this totally stupid^^^ but im so baffed because i did this paper in january and was completely stumped by th numerical question

thankss
Reply 47
x-o-x-o-chaz-o-x-o-x
okay sorry if im being really stupid but 1a) will that not just be calculating figures(if so what) and 1b) analysing those?
or can the layout be different and not have any calculations for 1a) and actually ask a proper essay question about ratios and all sorts?if thats the case what will 1b) part be?

sorryy if this totally stupid^^^ but im so baffed because i did this paper in january and was completely stumped by th numerical question

thankss

1a will definitely be a calculation question. It could be asking you to calculate ratios (which seems most likely), however as this is a synoptic exam you could be asked to do any of the calculations present in the whole specification.
1b will be an essay question expecting you to use the figures you calculated in 1a, as well as others if applicable. One of our practise 1b questions, for example, was to analyse LCL's financial performance.
Hope this makes it clearer :smile:
Thank you so much:smile:
Reply 49
Ah exams tomorrow! have no idea what to do with the ratio's we've been given!
Now that my geography exam is out the way tonight is going to be fun filled with revision.....
:|
Our teachers told us that it is 'Very Likely' that Critical Path will come up, so much so that we've revised nothing but that lately - whether they know something everyone else doesn't?

I'm dreading this exam. If something vague like 'Recommend a Marketing Strategy' comes up I'm f**ked.

Personally I'm hoping for
• 'LCL has grown more by Serendipity than by Strategy; Analyze'
•' 'Recommend whether LCL should accept Major Doodes' Order'
• 'How could LCL meed its strategic Objectives?'

Ohh and does anyone want to discuss the exam on MSN or Facebook? I know it sound stupid, but I find the best way to revise this is just to discuss questions possible as everyone can build on each others points and have a big old orgy of brainstorming :biggrin:
Reply 52
jakethomas991
:|
Our teachers told us that it is 'Very Likely' that Critical Path will come up, so much so that we've revised nothing but that lately - whether they know something everyone else doesn't?

That's interesting (and incredibly worrying :o: ) - what have they been basing the critical path analysis on within the case study?
Reply 53
this sounds stupid but what is APT that everyone is talking about revising from? Never ever heard of it! Oh dear....
Antifazian
That's interesting (and incredibly worrying :o: ) - what have they been basing the critical path analysis on within the case study?

They've done it Major Doodes Order - aka, they would give us the timings in a table and then make us make a critical path analysis for it.
There are loads of hints in the case study to suggest they'll do this, well rather, to allow for this - the use of CAM, design team, production etc - none of that is really relevant for anything else. Also they specifically don't give any definite timings on his order - he just says 'He probably can get it done if he assigns his best team'

I'm just saying - there is enough in the case study to suggest that this COULD come up.

At the same time though, could a decision tree come up about LCL accepting the order? aka, they give us figures about Probablility of order being met on time, probability of Future orders, opportunity cost
:| I haven't revised that.

WE'RE ALL DOOMED.
OCR ALWAYS FIND AWAY TO SCREW YOU OVER AND MAKE YOU CRY.
(slits wrists)
toniiiiiii
this sounds stupid but what is APT that everyone is talking about revising from? Never ever heard of it! Oh dear....

yes, what is APT?!?!?!?!!?! I've never heard of it in my life :|
Reply 56
jakethomas991

Ohh and does anyone want to discuss the exam on MSN or Facebook? I know it sound stupid, but I find the best way to revise this is just to discuss questions possible as everyone can build on each others points and have a big old orgy of brainstorming :biggrin:

I'm up for that if you fancy it?
Ohh also FYI
This link is great, summarizes the case study perfectly - its basically model answers for any topic that could come up.

http://www.obolynx.com/educator/info/f297-apt-case-study-analysis-2010-lcl
Reply 58
jakethomas991
They've done it Major Doodes Order - aka, they would give us the timings in a table and then make us make a critical path analysis for it.
There are loads of hints in the case study to suggest they'll do this, well rather, to allow for this - the use of CAM, design team, production etc - none of that is really relevant for anything else. Also they specifically don't give any definite timings on his order - he just says 'He probably can get it done if he assigns his best team'

I'm just saying - there is enough in the case study to suggest that this COULD come up.

At the same time though, could a decision tree come up about LCL accepting the order? aka, they give us figures about Probablility of order being met on time, probability of Future orders, opportunity cost
:| I haven't revised that.

WE'RE ALL DOOMED.
OCR ALWAYS FIND AWAY TO SCREW YOU OVER AND MAKE YOU CRY.
(slits wrists)

Ahh feck :sigh: I'll join you with the wrist slitting I think...

The only other way I could see the production being used, and this is purely because of what's in the APT (they're a company that sell analyses of these exam case studies btw) thing, is to talk about the over-engineering bit and the fact that LCL can't afford it...?

MEH. I have my fingers crossed for a straight essay question exam, but suppose we'll soon see. How many marks have your teachers been giving for critical path questions?
Looks like i'll be up all night revising.:frown:
God i hate business...

Latest

Trending

Trending