The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
roverston
Well, yeah, i assume so. And then the rest is accumulative percentages. So obviously there are some people that are hiding away while doing this module. Fair enough, I can't imagine people that have an A grade would come on here to look at the module, but you would think that one person would know someone who had an A. Maybe it's only the people who had their coursework marked by Rosemary Rees (Chief examiner) that have had terrible grades? But then again, could she have had a say in so many colleges' coursework?

I just don't believe it at all. I know of 3 local schools in the area who have no A grades at all. There's what, 5 or 6 people on this thread who have no As at their school but apparently a quarter of those who took it got one? Weird. Statistically improbable you might say.
Reply 41
Salparadise
This does seem odd considering no posters on here know anyone with an A. Did Eton's whole sixth form take the coursework? Still 44% of candidates got a D or below, crazy!

34%. And to think you are going to study PPE at Oxford... :wink:
Copacetic

:eek: Tiredness is my excuse.
Copacetic

How does coursework moderation work? Does everyone's coursework get marked by both your teacher and an examiner?
Reply 44
bodybuilder22
How does coursework moderation work? Does everyone's coursework get marked by both your teacher and an examiner?

I am not 100% sure but I think what happens is that the teachers mark the work and cross mark it with the other essays they have. Then they send a sample, a transect of the entries for that school, to the moderator to show that they have marked them properly and according to the guidelines. Someone else may be able to fill you in better than I.

------

And thank you to roverston for sending me the report. There's nothing much of interest there though really. I have looked at the extracts that they have commented on and I don't think they are any better than mine, if I may say so myself. One of the problems we had was that the teachers didn't make notes on the scripts and therefore the moderator didn't think they'd been crossmarked when in fact they had. I noticed that this point was made towards the end of that report and could well have been one of the factors which counted against us. Other than that though, I don't see what I personally can change for the next submission. In fact I may even just leave it the same and simply hope for more reasonable marking.
Reply 45
I managed to get 8 marks off an A at AS, and I was very ill last year so I am going to resit both exams in June. I really need an A to get into my firm, which is now Glasgow.

I feel similarly puzzled about this coursework. We're entering ours later. I know I am capable of an A but my teacher won't tell me what grade she thinks my essays are.

She mentioned being seriously p****d off with Edexcel, after they 'moved the goalposts' after receiving January entries. They apparently want to see more cross-referencing of the sources, particularly in part A.

Is there a copy of the mark scheme available online?
Reply 46
Same thing happened at my college..went from an A to a C.

In terms of knowing anyone who got an A my history teacher had a meeting with the head of history Oldham yesturday...apparently they got 90% A-B...
Reply 47
Woah!!
What is up with Edexcel...??
My teacher already says everyone's coursework is rubbish in my year, probably all end up with a U =S
Reply 48
Does anyone have the mark scheme?
Reply 49
Just to update this thread. We had a number of our papers remoderated but they wouldn't change the marks.

To everyone who is entering in the summer or is resitting, the key, apparently, is to write question A almost exactly like question B but back up all your points with contemporary sources and use historian's viewpoints to regularly support or challenge these judgements.

It's that question, the sources one, which is catching people out.
I hope i got it right then as i have sent mine away, i would make a point back it with a primary or secondary then one line or so on how valid the point is or counter it with another historian view. For 2000 words though it was very hard trying to cram a point then source then evaluate the source alongside the narrative and argument especially when it requires about 10 sources or so.
Reply 51
tristan1000
especially when it requires about 10 sources or so.

I don't want to worry you but a copy of an A grade essay that I have got uses no less than 29 sources including footnotes, a bibliography of books and a list of primary sources. One thing I'm really struggling with is getting enough sources because my school is leaving us to our own devices.
Oh my... i had about 3 per paragraph which left very little for anything else. I am not really concerned but as a private candidate and have to pay 45 pound to submit the bladdy thing and potentially fail.
Reply 53
I got 74/80 for this one and an A. I was the only one in my class when there are at least 7 more people capable of it. Nearly everyone is resubmitting. I really don't think it's Edexcel's marking which is off though, the coursework wasn't taught properly at my college at least and a lot of people got confused with the sources in section A.

For the actual sources which you have to evaluate in part A, I was told 4-6 is all you need and I had 6. I used a variety of pictures, first hand account and second hand account and statistics for my sources. Don't get confused between these sources and normal sources which you use in your research and put in your reference list (in both essays). I'm no expert but can offer help if anyone's confused about something (I'll try anyway.) I did Russia by the way.
So for Part A how many sources did you use and how many lines would you spend evaluating a source? I had used about 12 sources in part B but hardly evaluated them just threw them in as opinions.
Reply 55
tristan1000
So for Part A how many sources did you use and how many lines would you spend evaluating a source? I had used about 12 sources in part B but hardly evaluated them just threw them in as opinions.

Oh sorry I got part A and part B the wrong way around. I'll edit my post now. I used 6 in part A and only 2-5 sentences to evaluate it, depending on what they said obviously, but cross-referencing it with the other sources. I did exactly the same as you in part B too, I just got muddled up with which was which!
Reply 56
I really don't think it's Edexcel's marking which is off though

Their mark scheme has confused everyone. I go to a pretty good school, one of the best in Yorkshire, and the teachers are usually pretty spot on but they've been stumped by this mark scheme. They thought a decent number of our entries fulfilled the criteria but not a single one did apparently. I think Edexcel really need to clarify what they want, particularly on question A, because I for one have no idea.
Reply 57
Copacetic
Their mark scheme has confused everyone. I go to a pretty good school, one of the best in Yorkshire, and the teachers are usually pretty spot on but they've been stumped by this mark scheme. They thought a decent number of our entries fulfilled the criteria but not a single one did apparently. I think Edexcel really need to clarify what they want, particularly on question A, because I for one have no idea.

Whilst that's obviously unfortunate for you, I didn't find it confusing and in fact it's much clearer than some I have come across! From the spec:

Part A will consist of an exploration of sources contemporary to
the period and relevant secondary sources in order to assess the
immediate significance of an event, individual, development or
movement taken from within the 100-year context.

I honestly thought this explained it pretty well. As it's new to both the teachers and the board though, there's bound to be some initial problems as the teachers don't know what's expected like they would if it was their third year doing the course.
Bit late now but just to let you know I did get an A (72/80) and so did quite a few in my school. They never told us what marks they gave us so I don't know if they've been moderated down by a few marks or not, but generally people got what was expected. If anyone wants to ask any Qs feel free (Oh and I don't mean to be pointing out that I got an A and you guys didn't...just letting you know people who got As do exist!)
Reply 59
After reading all this im now frantically searching for relevant quotes to shove in my coursework. Anyone have any advice on where I can find sources for the 1917 Russian Revolution? Im a private candidate so have no guidance at all. Paying a lot of money to fail as a lab rat =/

Education systems a joke if I can get an A in A-level geography attending about 50% of my course and then fail at History because I didnt go about the work in the exact way an exam board wants. Are they trying to create an army of identical historians to write an Edexcel Mega History of the World book?

Latest

Trending

Trending