The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No it shouldn't be a problem, I got bad GCSE's. 1A 3B's and 4C's and am predicted 3A's and have offers at Bath, Loughborough, Liverpool and Manchester. It will matter more so for Oxbridge, Durham, London unis ect
Reply 2
nick369
Hi, getting straight to the point; I am expecting to get AAA/A*AA at A2. However, due to leaving secondary school because of family problems etc I have relatively average GCSEs (B's and C's).
I was wandering if these GCSE grades would affect me applying to the Russell Group universities?

My GCSE's are nothing too spectacular- 5A's, 5B's 1C, however I recieved offers from 3 Russell Group universities (Leeds, Birmingham & Sheffied) so they shouldn't be too much of a problem. There are exceptions for really competitive courses e.g. medicine, law, english. Durham & LSE are known to expect good GCSE results, Durham for History especially.
nick369
Hi, getting straight to the point; I am expecting to get AAA/A*AA at A2. However, due to leaving secondary school because of family problems etc I have relatively average GCSEs (B's and C's).
I was wandering if these GCSE grades would affect me applying to the Russell Group universities?

I've been on TSR a while now and i still don't know which are the russell group universities, and more importantly, why everyone goes on about them..arent they a bit out-dated?

If you have mitigating circumstances you should get your tutor to include this in your refrence. Either way you certiainly have a chance with one of them, but not for medicine obviously.
I have seven Bs and three Cs at GCSE and have received offers to study English from places like Lancaster, Leicester, Queen Mary, Loughborough, UEA....I was never going to get straight As at A Level so I did not apply to somewhere like Oxford/UCL but I see no reason why you cannot if you get those great grades :wink:
Reply 5
My GCSEs were AAABCCCEEE and I got an offer from UCL so yeah you can.
jjackson18624
I've been on TSR a while now and i still don't know which are the russell group universities

The current membership of the Group is:
University of Birmingham
University of Bristol
University of Cambridge
Cardiff University
University of Edinburgh
University of Glasgow
Imperial College London
King's College London, (University of London)
University College London, (University of London)
University of Leeds
University of Liverpool
London School of Economics, (University of London)
University of Manchester
University of Newcastle
University of Nottingham
Queen's University Belfast
University of Oxford
University of Sheffield
University of Southampton
University of Warwick
Reply 7
Yes, provided you apply to the top universities and/or for the most competitive courses.
IndiePixie
The current membership of the Group is:
University of Birmingham
University of Bristol
University of Cambridge
Cardiff University
University of Edinburgh
University of Glasgow
Imperial College London
King's College London, (University of London)
University College London, (University of London)
University of Leeds
University of Liverpool
London School of Economics, (University of London)
University of Manchester
University of Newcastle
University of Nottingham
Queen's University Belfast
University of Oxford
University of Sheffield
University of Southampton
University of Warwick

'membership'? is it like a golf club? :lol:
Just seems to be all theones based in big cities to me, i dont see st andrews or durham on there,and they are both old, prestigious universities. still failing to see the fascination.
Reply 9
Mine weren't great (8As, 3Bs) and i got into Notingham, Sheffield, Southampton on the Russel Group
jjackson18624
'membership'? is it like a golf club? :lol:
Just seems to be all theones based in big cities to me, i dont see st andrews or durham on there,and they are both old, prestigious universities. still failing to see the fascination.

The Russell group is a political lobbying group for large 'research intensive' universities, it doesn't mean it's a group of all the 'best universities', even though this is how it's often portrayed in the media.
Reply 11
It mattered to me. I got AAAAB (Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Business, Further Maths) at AS, and am predicted AAAA (Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Further Maths).

I recieved AAAABBBBC at GCSE, and Durham and St. Andrews told me that I was rejected because of my GCSE's
Paske
It mattered to me. I got AAAAB (Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Business, Further Maths) at AS, and am predicted AAAA (Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Further Maths).

I recieved AAAABBBBC at GCSE, and Durham and St. Andrews told me that I was rejected because of my GCSE's

Their loss :yep:
Reply 13
It DEFINITELY does for the top universities and courses. I was going through a lot of problems during GCSEs (info in my profile) and my school added that in to my UCAS reference, but LSE and Birmingham said my GCSE grades were the "tipping point" for my application. Obviously there may have been other reasons but at the moment, I'm sitting on AAA with a strong chance of getting A*AA after seeing my January results.
Reply 14
Urgh this scares the life out of me beyond belief since I left school with just my English (didn't fail, was sick for the last two years so was only allowed to sit English) I'm already doing Maths but seems like I'm going to have to move backwards. My college don't even do them :frown:
Reply 15
EierVonSatan
Their loss :yep:

:yes: - Just seems like a really petty reason to reject someone... but oh well... with the increased number of applicants it was probably a pretty easy determining factor this year. As you said, its their loss.
As long as your aim isn't oxbridge, you should be fine :smile:

Most of the Russell Group universities won't care too much what your GCSE grades were, as long as you have english GCSE. I've applied to a few Russell Group universities and despite not even having a GCSE in maths (didn't take it at school due to being ill) they still made me unconditional offers. They don't exactly have to prove anything with entry standards and unlike ex-poly unis, don't value GCSE's more than A' levels.
SiaSiaSia
Mine weren't great (8As, 3Bs) and i got into Notingham, Sheffield, Southampton on the Russel Group

hmmphh yes they were
Reply 18
if i got AAAABBBCC would there be any chance of me getting a place at UCL or Warwick , does anyone know
for biochem engineering at UCL, grade req : ABB-BBB and im predicted AAB and engineering at warick grade req: BBB
Reply 19
Paske

LSE and ULC both rejected me due to GCSE's...mine were actually pretty much the same as yours!

Though I kinda knew the risks when I applied...:o:

Oh well...

Latest

Trending

Trending