The Student Room Group

A Question about Literature + culture in Modern Language Degrees...

I have a question about what literature and culture in modern language degrees. Most of the degrees i have researched, there is usually some element of history, literature or culture (or all three) of them in the degree.

Personally, i would want a degree that focused mainly on the language itself. One thing i worry about though, is i'm not a big literature fan. I'm currently studying English Literature in school and it's not my most enjoyable subject.

How similar is it to what we would study in English (or if it's the same but in/about the language chosen)?

Also, this may seem a funny question, but what kind of things do you learn about in the culture part of the degree?

Thanks!!
Reply 1
I've been quite lucky in that I haven't had a lot of literature. I've just had 5 short stories in 1st year and 1 novel in 2nd year so far. For the culture part I had some modules which focused on countries where the language was spoken and which broke things down into film, politics, customs, food etc.
Well, it depends alot on the uni you go to because the lecturers will have their own areas of focus which they teach. That said, I would expect that most will have a range. I personally have had a choice of modules - last semester I did a broad French history based one, although there was a literature based one available. This semester however, I am doing linguistics. Again, I could have done more cultural modules - there were ones based on international cities etc. In later years I could do TEFL modules and progress further in linguistics if I wanted.

So, with any luck you should have a good variety to choose from. The key thing to do is go to the uni open days/visit days and ask the lecturers what's on offer. With any luck, they will have a list to hand of the first year modules, or else they'll be available online :smile:
Reply 3
I've basically chosen my modules and have avoided all literature :p:
Though I have loads of history, culture, linguistics and a good ol' dutch module :smile:

You can only learn to an extent with sole language learning lessons, you really have to do literature/culture/history surely?
Reply 4
Johnny_1993
I have a question about what literature and culture in modern language degrees. Most of the degrees i have researched, there is usually some element of history, literature or culture (or all three) of them in the degree.

Personally, i would want a degree that focused mainly on the language itself. One thing i worry about though, is i'm not a big literature fan. I'm currently studying English Literature in school and it's not my most enjoyable subject.

How similar is it to what we would study in English (or if it's the same but in/about the language chosen)?

Also, this may seem a funny question, but what kind of things do you learn about in the culture part of the degree?

Thanks!!

Although most degree courses offer you the opportunity to study literature, culture and history, you usually choose your own modules, so except from a select few very traditional courses (Oxford's, for instance) you'd be able to avoid literature.

Some degrees are very language focused, and if you do two or three languages then you'd have less 'spare' modules, so would be concentrating almost entirely on the language.
Reply 5
To be honest, on a degree course which was primarily language you'd probably be bored silly after two weeks. University language lessons are the dullest things imaginable.

Latest

Trending

Trending