The Student Room Group

TSR Physics Society

Scroll to see replies

Why does my name no longer appear on that list when I'm sure it did at one point? :confused:
Reply 21
AlphaNumeric
I'm up for joining too. Is it just a matter of saying, or do you have to answer a question like in the maths one?

No you don't need to answer a question. Unless you'd like one that is :tongue:.
AMM
Full Members
aiman
cerebrum_core
ChemistBoy
Edders
hajira
henryt
K'uin K'ra
lgs98jonee
material breach
Mik1w
mizfissy815
MRLX69
neb_revlis
Princess Ana
RDoh
RichE
rpotter
sarz777
Scottus_Mus
sonja
Sparkling_Jules
The_Kangaroo
toipot2
Widowmaker
hira89
AlphaNumeric
F1 fanatic

Thankyou :smile: :cool:
Hey can i join. Physics A-level, and loving it!!
AMM
No you don't need to answer a question. Unless you'd like one that is :tongue:.
Lol, no, I'm quite alright with the two example sheets I got in lectures this morning thanks very much :p:

Thanks for updating the list :smile:
Count me in
Reply 26
Physics dilemma. I posted this in one of the threads. But nevertheless:

On a sub-atomic level every single particle has an anti-particle. If the two come together and collide with enough energy, they annihilate each other and give out energy in the form of gamma rays. If that is the case, I sometimes wonder of the existence of anti-particles that make up an "anti-me" in a parallel universe. And if such an "anti-me" exists, I wonder if annihilation would occur if we collide with sufficient energy. I would exist as energy :eek: . I mean it is possible, if it exists, because energy and mass are equivalent. And all matter has mass. Hmmm.
Reply 27
jkwong_11
Physics dilemma. I posted this in one of the threads. But nevertheless:

On a sub-atomic level every single particle has an anti-particle. If the two come together and collide with enough energy, they annihilate each other and give out energy in the form of gamma rays. If that is the case, I sometimes wonder of the existence of anti-particles that make up an "anti-me" in a parallel universe. And if such an "anti-me" exists, I wonder if annihilation would occur if we collide with sufficient energy. I would exist as energy :eek: . I mean it is possible, if it exists, because energy and mass are equivalent. And all matter has mass. Hmmm.

'You' would become energy, but 'you' would no longer exist (well i dont believe in a soul)
e11even
On a sub-atomic level every single particle has an anti-particle.
Photons, gravitons and Z0 particles don't have anti-particles.
e11even
And if such an "anti-me" exists, I wonder if annihilation would occur if we collide with sufficient energy.
Particles and anti-particles don't have to have sufficent energy to annihilate, they will destroy one another if they meet at any energy.
Any chance I could join?

3rd undergraduate Physics student.
Reply 30
If we want to be listed when they start accepting new socs again, we'll need a new icon.

Any bright sparks (hoho) got any good designs?
Hmm, I would like to be a member. I'm a current upper Sixth student, who will be going into a degree in physics next year.
can I join toooo??
Reply 33
id like to join thanks
AlphaNumeric
Photons, gravitons and Z0 particles don't have anti-particles.
Particles and anti-particles don't have to have sufficent energy to annihilate, they will destroy one another if they meet at any energy.

The antiparticle of a photon it a photon. :p:
darkenergy
The antiparticle of a photon it a photon. :p:
Well I think it depends on your particular convention. The particles I listed have antiparticles, themselves, so does that mean they actually have antiparticles? After all, there is a sea of gravitons and photons around us right now, so they can interact.

If two photons collide and emit two photons, did they annihilate one another (like an electron/positron collision would) or did they just interact and go their seperate ways? Depends on how you want to think about it, you'll get the same answer either way.

QED does predict that gamma-gamma collisions can initiate pair production (create matter/antimatter pairs). The team working on the LHC at CERN is thinking about possible ways to modify some experiments to look for evidence of such interactions. The problem the cross section for such reactions is incredibly small, even compared to the cross sections for lepton or baryon collisions.
emm... my physics is rather weak :smile: but when they collide different photons are formed so they annihilated each other?
Reply 37
Im studying higher physics and really enjoying it. Can I join :smile:

Mike
can i join as well please? i'm doing physics As level and i'm really enjoying the subject. My other infos are below:
darkenergy
emm... my physics is rather weak :smile: but when they collide different photons are formed so they annihilated each other?
The thing is, can you definitely tell me they have annihiliated and then produced two entirely new photons, or have they just interacted, altering some of their characteristics? Given these characteristics are all you can know about photons, it doesn't matter which mechanism you think is true, the outcome is the same :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest