The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham Queen campus in clearing

I have just looked up Durham in Extra and there isn't one course available that doesn't involve spending at least a year or the duration of the degree in Queens campus and there aren't any courses where you can spend the whole time in Durham city.

I don't think it's the courses because Queens include things like Biomedical science and stuff which I thought would be pretty popular.

Is it a snobbish thing because Queens has those scary buildings and isn't from what I can tell very pretty?
Reply 1
Stockton isn't very attractive to students generally I think. Not for the nightlife, culture nor attractiveness. But I hear it's improving?
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
I visited the Stockton campus when I was deciding which medical schools to apply to and the facilities are great. There also seemed to be a good rapport between faculty and students. The area, however, is a bit rough and run down and there's a lot less going on socially than in Durham or Newcastle.

In the end I decided to apply only to graduate entry medicine courses. If the 4 year graduate entry medical programme had been available at the Stockton campus I would have happily applied but the facilities and teaching quality matter more to me than clubs / social scene.

It's what matters to you that counts :smile:
Reply 3
This looks scary to you?

and here's the very nearby barrage with whitewater rafting behind it:

You should see some of the buildings from the 60s and 70s at other universities (some are great of course).
Picnic1
This looks scary to you?

The bar that looks over the river is just awesome, but it doesn't really outweigh the location.
Reply 5
The location is close to the ticket office of the world's first passenger railway.

Admittedly, it's perhaps not as much of a stretch to decide to put people in instead of tin or coal as it would have been to invent the steam railway in the first place but George Stephenson (who was a Geordie) gets a lot of credit for that small adjustment.

John Walker, who was born here invented the friction match.

Preston Park, a short ride away, is a huge Victorian house / mansion converted in to a museum - pretty nice, much more elaborate than most Durham museums. But, OK, there is probably no comparison with the feeling of studying in Durham City itself.
Reply 6
Picnic1
The location is close to the ticket office of the world's first passenger railway

Unfortunately many people don't really find those sorts of things interesting. I think we're both in the minority.

It still doesn't compare to, "0h my godz!!!! Durham has a castle. That's so cool" :rolleyes:

Picnic1
George Stephenson (who was a Geordie).

Northumbrian techincally, being born in my part of the world (Wylam). Still, that's pedanticness. Really depends on one's definition of a Geordie.

there is probably no comparison with the feeling of studying in Durham City itself.

Which is overrated :p:

viola9

Is it a snobbish thing because Queens has those scary buildings and isn't from what I can tell very pretty?

What do you mean, scary? A more industrial landscape or the more modern architecture of the university?

There's no doubt that for some, as it lacks the obvious beauty, historicness (it is historic in its own way) and leafyness of Durham then it is viewed less favourably and this puts people off. Especially certain sections of the middle class.

I wouldn't say Biomedical science is a particularly popular degree anywhere, especially in Durham. Same goes for other courses at Durham including Applied Psychology. One of the exceptions is medicine.

I wouldn't say "Stockton" (Queens Campus is techincally in Thonaby) isn't pretty. Thornaby itself is a decent enough market town. Yarm is nearby and Teesdale, just down the road, has some great countryside and beauty.

Anyway, you do realise extra and clearing are two different things (unless you mean that as QC courses are in extra then they're more likely to be in clearing - not always true although most of Durham's clearing courses are QC).
Reply 7
River85
Unfortunately many people don't really find those sorts of things interesting. I think we're both in the minority.

It still doesn't compare to, "0h my godz!!!! Durham has a castle. That's so cool" :rolleyes:

Northumbrian techincally, being born in my part of the world (Wylam). Still, that's pedanticness. Really depends on one's definition of a Geordie.

Which is overrated :p:

What do you mean, scary? A more industrial landscape or the more modern architecture of the university?

There's no doubt that for some, as it lacks the obvious beauty, historicness (it is historic in its own way) and leafyness of Durham then it is viewed less favourably and this puts people off. Especially certain sections of the middle class.

I wouldn't say Biomedical science is a particularly popular degree anywhere, especially in Durham. Same goes for other courses at Durham including Applied Psychology. One of the exceptions is medicine.

I wouldn't say "Stockton" (Queens Campus is techincally in Thonaby) isn't pretty. Thornaby itself is a decent enough market town. Yarm is nearby and Teesdale, just down the road, has some great countryside and beauty.

Anyway, you do realise extra and clearing are two different things
(unless you mean that as QC courses are in extra then they're more likely to be in clearing - not always true although most of Durham's clearing courses are QC).

Does this mean that courses which aren't in extra may end up in clearing?
Reply 8
viola9
Does this mean that courses which aren't in extra may end up in clearing?

Very very rarely (esp. with even more applicants in ucas this year).

Courses in clearing in the last few years have been:

pretty much all foundation courses at queen's
A large number of queen's courses (never ever medicine though, if you were hoping for that!) - human sciences every year I've looked, usually at least one business course.

Nothing at Durham (city) usually.
Reply 9
angelmxxx
Very very rarely (esp. with even more applicants in ucas this year).

Courses in clearing in the last few years have been:

pretty much all foundation courses at queen's
A large number of queen's courses (never ever medicine though, if you were hoping for that!) - human sciences every year I've looked, usually at least one business course.

Nothing at Durham (city) usually.

I got an offer from Durham last week, they said they will update it on track this coming week. Im studying 2 ALevels and 2As levels, so i wwas shocked to offer me, just waiting to see what they ask for. Its a choice of studying Anthropology at Aberdeen, Sussex or human sciences at Durham. Are all the classes of Human Sciences situated in Queen's campus? How is Stockton itself, socially. Durham is just attracting me because its a world-wide recognised university, but i am worries i make the wrong decision.
Reply 10
Sad3k
Are all the classes of Human Sciences situated in Queen's campus? How is Stockton itself, socially. Durham is just attracting me because its a world-wide recognised university, but i am worries i make the wrong decision.

Not the best place to ask this question.

Post here

Latest