The Student Room Group
I did an Extended Essay in English A1 as well. I would focus more on the literary aspects of Hawthorne (eg. his style, a certain motif or something).
The Scarlet Letter is a very common novel and part of the whole Extended Essay process is to be different. Find something that is interesting to discuss in 4000 words that will not dull the examiner with how common it is but rather excite him! They are paid by the paper, you know, and will have most likely read both books...

Therefore, I suggest that you discard those topics and look for something more unique. The only way you can find this topic is by making TONS of notes in the book and searching within for motifs, parts of style that seem interesting and understated in their significance.

By the way Criterion K (Holistic Judgment) requires intellectual initiative, depth of analysis, etc. so if you choose a unique topic and write a great essay, you will get the majority of the points in that criterion.
Reply 2
what about the topic below, i know it's not creative, but i'm really short on time!!
Now that sounds better. :biggrin: A little vague, but you're on the right track. Do you have an advisor?
Reply 4
I do!! what do mean it's too vague, because I was going to mention the scenarios she encountered with the puritans in the thesis itself. do you think i should say those things in the research question or the thesis?

Latest

Trending

Trending