The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Jingers
If you've ever seen it in pure black, you'd know it's not chavvy/tacky/ghetto.

I'm not saying it always is! But on an entire suit, furthermore a suit you'd wear as the groom, yes that would be very chavvy/ghetto. Logos are not appropriate for weddings, and logos on a suit are chavvy.

I'm not saying black monogram/shiny black monogram wouldn't look good on a shirt or something like you mentioned, that might be OK, but on a suit it is tasteless and a big no-no.
Reply 21
gucci is horrible :s
Reply 22
If designer is what you are after, take a look at Tom Ford. He used to design for Gucci and YSL but now has his own label. To give you a rough idea, he is responsible for dressing Daniel Craig in the James Bond movies, but he designs a variety of different styles.
Reply 23
Do you want this suit just to flash the label (a terrible idea) or one that is truly exclusive and chic?

If the latter, I would recommend you go to Gieves & Hawkes or Savile Row - very expensive and exclusive but I don't know how much money your uncle wants to spend on this suit for you.

If you want a choice between Gucci / Armani, it is impossible to say as I don't know your body shape / size and what kind of suit you would like. Both do a good range but from what I've seen, the Armani ones generally look better to me. But that doesn't mean that there are not some excellent Gucci suits - you'll be buying just one suit, not the brand overall so you should consider both and pick the best one.

HCD
Alternatively, go to an independent tailors outside of Saville Row, and get a suit of equal or better quality made at a far more reasonable price. With Saville Row, you pay quite a lot for the name, and the rent of the shops in such a pricey area. There are perfectly wonderful tailors outside of Saville Row who will use the same (or better) fabrics, and make a suit to your exact measurements. It can still be expensive if you use fabrics from the more distinguished mills (such as Dormeuil), but you get what you pay for with fabrics. Saville Row is mostly for people with more money than they know what to do with tbh.

Nah I don't agree at all.

You are far too dismissive of Savile Row and its clientele. These people know what they are buying and the Savile Row product, right from design, production, fitting and manufacture will have the finish that will be unrivalled by cheaper, inferior companies. I don't deny that these fabrics are available elsewhere and other outlets have fantastic tailors too, but the culmination of quality at Savile Row for example is unmatched by cheaper independent tailors. As with most things, you get what you pay for - Savile might cost a fair bit more, but the product is truly a fair bit better.
gucci. but id rather get a custom made.
Unless you mix in circles who know you have a 20k suit what does it matter

I am sure a bespoke suit for 1k will suffice in most situations.
Reply 26
Tefhel
I'm not saying it always is! But on an entire suit, furthermore a suit you'd wear as the groom, yes that would be very chavvy/ghetto. Logos are not appropriate for weddings, and logos on a suit are chavvy.

I'm not saying black monogram/shiny black monogram wouldn't look good on a shirt or something like you mentioned, that might be OK, but on a suit it is tasteless and a big no-no.

I think I explained it wrong lol. It's not complete monogram suit like how their bag is. It's only on the inside of the suit, and the lapels.
Reply 27
Jingers
I think I explained it wrong lol. It's not complete monogram suit like how their bag is. It's only on the inside of the suit, and the lapels.

Oh... I thought you meant the outside of the suit would be black with monogram, like their bags! Logoed lining is fine.
Mr Sparkles
Let's face it, English suits are crap - they're good for old boys like Earl of blah blah to wear but aren't particularly stylish, but Italian suits are slick and the height of sophistication - with great cuts etc.

Hmmm...no? It's all about the aesthetic you actually like. Each manufacturer/designer tends to have their particular ideas on what to do. Broadly speaking Armani likes his relatively softly structured without vents. I just dislike ventless suit jackets, it strikes me as a little silly.

And are you seriously telling me an Italian fashion house (even one which will do you a bespoke as opposed to MTM suit like Armani) will cut better than say Dege, Kilgour or Huntsman? It's not about the objectively 'better' cut (I don't think there is at this level) it's about the cut that you'd like.

So for example, would you prefer the soft, floating Anderson and Sheppard style drape or are you more a fan of Huntsman's very structured style? These are personal things, not some bizzaro-top trumps game of my card is better than yours.

Latest