The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
aper_son
I got my results last Thursday, and I am reasonably happy with two of the three.

The one I was not happy with was Physics unit 4 (Edexcel). I got an A grade, but I was literally on the borderline (98/120 = 80.66%). My Physics teacher seems to think I can get an A* - but to get that I'd need nearly 100% in both units 5 and 6. I've got 100% before (Unit 2) so it's not beyond the realms of possibility, but I'm still considering retaking Unit 4.

A lot of the people I've spoken to have said I'm mad and one even said I was "offensive" for not being happy with my A. I'm just frustrated because my teachers think I'm capable of A* and, if my marks last year are anything to go by, they're right. The only worry is that I may spread myself too thinly but - that said - I did far more exams last (AS) year and got much better marks. After all, summer exams don't have annoying distractions like Christmas and New Year (+ I was a little ill, but I feel like that's just making excuses!).

So, TSR, am I being unreasonable and stupid or should I just say "**** it" and go for the resit?

just do the resit i would you're obviously not going to be happy unless you get an a* i wouldn't be either, and it's going to be putting too much pressure on youself aiming for 100% in exams, maybe don't tell people who were offended you are going to resit though while i would totally feel the way you do it's a bit much complaining to people about getting an A when they probably couldn't even get that if they tried just do the resit and keep your annoyance to yourself, and one extra exam won't really take up that much time to revise for especially one you have done already just keep it as the lowest priority and revise for the others first if you mess it up the grade from before will still count
aper_son

So, TSR, am I being unreasonable and stupid or should I just say "**** it" and go for the resit?

I think that you should do whatever makes you happy, regardless of what others think. If you would feel more comfortable resitting, then go for it. They're your results and they'll only affect you. Hope that helped :smile:.
Reply 22
Maybe with hindsight I was a little OTT on Thursday doing my "down and depressed" role. I suppose I can see why people get offended, but at the same time I feel that if I'm capable of an A* and end up with an A, I have just as much right to be annoyed as someone who is capable of a D and ends up with an E, and so on.

To answer a lot of the replies, no I don't need an A* for my offer. My offer is AAB (one A must be in Maths, the other A and the B can be whichever way around). So technically I could get away with a B.

But I, personally, want to always strive to do the best I can. I don't necessarily always want to be the best at everything (god I hate people like that) but I want to be the best that I can be . And I know that if I play it safe and stick with my A, I may well get an A overall, and I'll always be annoyed whenever I look at my results that I didn't push myself.

I've just been doing my revision timetable and the emphasis is definitely on the other exam (53 hours on the new stuff, 27 or so on the resit). The only danger is that I could slip behind in Maths, but I think, with the amount of revision time I have allocated it (39/36 hours for C4/s2 respectively, though I'll probably adjust this in the favour of C4 as it suddenly dawns on be how hard it is compared to S2) that shouldn't happen.

I guess it's the classic question of "Do I gamble or do I play it safe?".

Thanks a lot for your input.
Becky21
But if OP is capable of getting A*, why not? It's relative to your natural ability. If I knew I was capable of getting an A* in an exam, and I wasn't on track to get it, I would resit, as long as it wouldn't affect my other subjects.

Well, he asked for my opinion and I gave it to him.
If he needs it for an offer then there was no need to ask for our opinions! otherwise why would you put yourself under so much pressure, on the last chance you have to get the grades you want just to increase your mark that may make no difference what so ever, presuming he has the offer.

Latest