The Student Room Group

A Level Civil Rights Coursework

I'm really struggling to start Part A of the edexcel A Level African-American Civil Rights Movement coursework.

My class have been told to choose an individual/event in this topic area and explain the short term significance of this in the civil rights movement.

I have chosen to look at the Black Panther Party and it's overall significance on the civil rights movement. I have decided to look into the positives and negative outcomes of the party and how this affected the movement.

If anyone has any suggestions on this and could suggest a good way to start this essay and points to make then I'd really appreciate it :smile:

I'm also really worried that I'm going to get a bad mark overall for my coursework as we haven't really been told much about it by my teacher and he is not willing to give us much guidance as he is worried about giving too much help. I feel like I don't know what I'm supposed to be doing and really would like to achieve and A or B!

Thanks.
Do it on Martin Luther King Jr. instead

/thread.
Reply 2
afrazzle
I'm really struggling to start Part A of the edexcel A Level African-American Civil Rights Movement coursework.

My class have been told to choose an individual/event in this topic area and explain the short term significance of this in the civil rights movement.

I have chosen to look at the Black Panther Party and it's overall significance on the civil rights movement. I have decided to look into the positives and negative outcomes of the party and how this affected the movement.

If anyone has any suggestions on this and could suggest a good way to start this essay and points to make then I'd really appreciate it :smile:

I'm also really worried that I'm going to get a bad mark overall for my coursework as we haven't really been told much about it by my teacher and he is not willing to give us much guidance as he is worried about giving too much help. I feel like I don't know what I'm supposed to be doing and really would like to achieve and A or B!

Thanks.

The Black Panther Party is a very good topic to explore, it's much more indepth than most people are aware of - it's not all about the afros, black leather jackets, and guns but something more. The Black Panther Party is an outgrowth of the Black Power Movement.

Most Black Power advocates denounced the integration orientation of the old civil rights coalition and called for a new strategy based on Black control and/or ownership of organizations, institution and resources of the Black community. Some Black oriented leaders urged creation of parallel or independent power blocs (Black political parties and Black unions) outside existing structures. Others were Black nationalists who called for the creation of an independent Black state on American soil. The core values of the Black Power movement were Black pride, Black dignity, and Black self determination. Many Whites and some Black saw this as a retrograde movement and racism in reverse. However, leaders of the Black Power movement believed massed power of the Black community was essential for the liberation of Black Americans.

I will include more info. in the next posts...
Reply 3
•The Black Panther Party was founded in Oakland, CA by Huey Newton and Bobby Seale in October 1966
•Discuss the murders of Fred Hampton and Mark Clark in Chicago by Chicago police during a pre – morning raid in 1969
•Discuss Angela Davis, former Black Panther member now college professor
•Discuss the life and tragic death of Black Panther Party co –member Huey Newton
•Include Eldridge Cleaver, Stokely Carmichael aka Kwame Toure (Black Panther Party leaders; chairman for SNCC (Stokely C.)
•Discuss the U.S. government operation called COINTELPRO which was designed to “expose, disrupt, misdirect, discredit, or otherwise neutralize the activities of black nationalists, hate – type groups, their leadership, spokesmen, membership and supporters, and to counter their propensity for violence and civil disorders” – highly effective operation that ultimately led to separate factions of the Black Panther Party and its ultimate disintegration
•The election of Richard Nixon in 1972 and what that symbolized for African Americans, Black Power Movement, Black Panther Party etc.
Reply 4
•The academic tutoring and free breakfast programs initiated by the Black Panther Party (really important contribution)
•The connection of the Black Panther Party with communism
•The Ronald Reagan connection to the Black Panther Party
•Political exiles like Assata Shakur (i.e. Cuba), Mumia Abu – Jamal, and Leonard Peltier
•Richard Nixon’s slogan, “law and order” and how it was used to discredit the black liberation movement and justify the deployment of the police, courts, and the establishment of more prisons during the 1970s
•Findings of the Domestic Intelligence Subcommittee, headed by Senator Walter Mondale which provided evidence about a government sponsored conspiracy against civil and human rights of all sorts of political activists (i.e. John Lennon), and most particularly, African Americans
•Discuss the role and power of FBI head, J. Edgar Hoover
•The effects of drug use, exiled members, jailed members, and the inclusion of members who have no real concept of what the Black Panther Party stood for in the ultimate failure of the Black Panther Party
• Discuss the Hollywood connection to the Black Panther Party – look up celebrities like Jane Fonda, directors, producers who contributed money, housing, etc. to the Black Panther Party

I hope this helps :smile:. Quote or PM me if you need anymore help or have questions.
Reply 5
Thank you so much! I had already done quite a bit of research into the topics and have an essay plan ready but that has really helped me to focus the points I should write about and I'm feeling much more confident :smile: Thank you!!! I'm so grateful!
Reply 6
afrazzle
Thank you so much! I had already done quite a bit of research into the topics and have an essay plan ready but that has really helped me to focus the points I should write about and I'm feeling much more confident :smile: Thank you!!! I'm so grateful!

You're welcome. The Black Panther Party is very interesting, they had good intentions in the beginning but power, in - fighting, drugs, arrests, killings etc. led to the end of the Party. Best of luck with your A essay. :smile:
Reply 7
Yeah, I find them very interesting which is why I chose them to study. Most other people in my class chose Martin Luther King, Malcolm X etc. which are interesting too but I have studied them before. I knew nothing about the Black Panthers and have learnt so much :smile:
Reply 8
I have done an essay plan now and just would like a yes or no if this seems like a good plan?

The question is 'What, in your view, was the short term significance of the Black Panther Party'.

I'm going to begin the essay with a Hoover quote about the Black Panthers being a threat to internal security of the USA and then go on to mention a bit about the party.

Then I am going to look at the positive significance of the party:
- Helping african americans to be proud of their backgrounds and overall increase black pride.
- Fighting back against violent police - attempting to stop racist attacks. Go on to mention Fred Hampton's death.
- The programs created by the party such as Free breakfast for children etc.
- Links to hollywood
- Angela Davis

Then I am going to go onto write about the negative significance:
- How some people regarded the Panthers as trying to create a 'black separatist movement'
- The issues with COINTELPRO
- Connections to communism
- Members linked to drugs, put in jail etc. and what impact this had on the party as a whole.
- The use of violence and weapons by Black panthers.

To conclude 'what was the short term significance' I am thinking of saying that the party had a huge positive impact on the lives of African Americans.. go into detail on this. But then go on to say that despite this, they were viewed as a violent group linked with communism however this was not the main goals of the party and only down to certain factors.
Therefore the Black Panther Party could be seen to have had a negative impact on the civil rights movement, despite all the positive things they achieved.

Does this sound okay? Thank you for any help.
Reply 9
afrazzle
I have done an essay plan now and just would like a yes or no if this seems like a good plan?

The question is 'What, in your view, was the short term significance of the Black Panther Party'.

I'm going to begin the essay with a Hoover quote about the Black Panthers being a threat to internal security of the USA and then go on to mention a bit about the party.

Then I am going to look at the positive significance of the party:
- Helping african americans to be proud of their backgrounds and overall increase black pride.
- Fighting back against violent police - attempting to stop racist attacks. Go on to mention Fred Hampton's death.
- The programs created by the party such as Free breakfast for children etc.
- Links to hollywood
- Angela Davis

Then I am going to go onto write about the negative significance:
- How some people regarded the Panthers as trying to create a 'black separatist movement'
- The issues with COINTELPRO
- Connections to communism
- Members linked to drugs, put in jail etc. and what impact this had on the party as a whole.
- The use of violence and weapons by Black panthers.

To conclude 'what was the short term significance' I am thinking of saying that the party had a huge positive impact on the lives of African Americans.. go into detail on this. But then go on to say that despite this, they were viewed as a violent group linked with communism however this was not the main goals of the party and only down to certain factors.
Therefore the Black Panther Party could be seen to have had a negative impact on the civil rights movement, despite all the positive things they achieved.

Does this sound okay? Thank you for any help.

Excellent - I really like that. :smile: Good essay structure. :yes:
(Original post by AliciaJ703)•The Black Panther Party was founded in Oakland, CA by Huey Newton and Bobby Seale in October 1966
•Discuss the murders of Fred Hampton and Mark Clark in Chicago by Chicago police during a pre – morning raid in 1969
•Discuss Angela Davis, former Black Panther member now college professor
•Discuss the life and tragic death of Black Panther Party co –member Huey Newton
•Include Eldridge Cleaver, Stokely Carmichael aka Kwame Toure (Black Panther Party leaders; chairman for SNCC (Stokely C.)
•Discuss the U.S. government operation called COINTELPRO which was designed to “expose, disrupt, misdirect, discredit, or otherwise neutralize the activities of black nationalists, hate – type groups, their leadership, spokesmen, membership and supporters, and to counter their propensity for violence and civil disorders” – highly effective operation that ultimately led to separate factions of the Black Panther Party and its ultimate disintegration
•The election of Richard Nixon in 1972 and what that symbolized for African Americans, Black Power Movement, Black Panther Party etc.

Original post by afrazzle

Thanks.what sources did you use? reallyu struggling to find mine

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending