The Student Room Group

Maths A*

I know there have been a million threads like this since results day so sorry to do another! I wondering how much work I would need to do to get an A* in maths with my results so far. I have

C1 - 86 A
C2 - 94 A
M1 - 83 A
C3 - 69 C
M2 - 75 B

So yeah I kind of didn't do so great in January exams and I am going to retake C3 and M2 but how much will I have to improve them by to get an A* overall and how well do I need to do in C4? If it's going to take a lot of work I think I will just go for an A because I don't actually need maths for uni!
To get an A grade you need 73 UMS from C4. To get an A* You need to re-sit C3 and get 180 between C3 and C4.
Reply 2
Hmmm I'm worried about C4.. I reckon I will only get 80 at the most... which would mean getting 100 in C3! Does Mechanics have no effect on A* then?
Reply 3
jenny28

C1 - 86 A
C2 - 94 A
M1 - 83 A
C3 - 69 C
M2 - 75 B

So yeah I kind of didn't do so great in January exams and I am going to retake C3 and M2 but how much will I have to improve them by to get an A* overall and how well do I need to do in C4? If it's going to take a lot of work I think I will just go for an A because I don't actually need maths for uni!

don't bother resitting M2, you already have some contingency with C1/2 and M1, it would be time wasted that you could spend on C3/4.
focus on getting the grades in C3/C4, M2 doesnt affect the A* at all btw
btw, looking at your UCAS, do you actually need the A*?
there's no point killing yourself work-wise to get a grade that you don't need
Reply 4
jenny28
I know there have been a million threads like this since results day so sorry to do another! I wondering how much work I would need to do to get an A* in maths with my results so far. I have

C1 - 86 A
C2 - 94 A
M1 - 83 A
C3 - 69 C
M2 - 75 B

I'm not trying to kill anyone's fun, I'm starting A-level Maths next year and asked about the A* grade, but I think Maths is the exception only going up to an A Grade.....

Check your exam board website, they'll tell you what you need to know :smile:

Hope this helps.
Reply 5
Sub Zero
don't bother resitting M2, you already have some contingency with C1/2 and M1, it would be time wasted that you could spend on C3/4.
focus on getting the grades in C3/C4, M2 doesnt affect the A* at all btw
btw, looking at your UCAS, do you actually need the A*?
there's no point killing yourself work-wise to get a grade that you don't need

If I didn't retake M2 do you think I could still easily get an A. I might just do it and not do much revision as I have persuaded my mum to pay for it!! No I don't need an A* , I don't even need an A but still!
Reply 6
you don't need to resit mechanics, if you get the required 180 UMS from c3 and c4 you'll have 518 overall
Reply 7
You Need an average of 180UMS/200UMS in C3 and C4

But also you need to be on an 80% average overall !
Reply 8
jenny28
If I didn't retake M2 do you think I could still easily get an A. I might just do it and not do much revision as I have persuaded my mum to pay for it!! No I don't need an A* , I don't even need an A but still!

as long as you average 80% in all, and get >90% in C3/4 you get the A*,

if you're not going to revise don't bother with M2, most likely is the mark would go down.
if you're aiming for 90% in c3/4 you shouldn't be concerned with averaging 80%.
as someone with an A in M2, i know it requires a lot of work, i know people that have A* in maths (myself included) just achieved that got max. 85% in M2 (even with a lot of revision).
Reply 9
So I may aswell just go for an A, it's not gonna be worth all the work, and just resit C3
Joey15
I'm not trying to kill anyone's fun, I'm starting A-level Maths next year and asked about the A* grade, but I think Maths is the exception only going up to an A Grade.....

Check your exam board website, they'll tell you what you need to know :smile:

Hope this helps.

And the exam board website will tell you what all the other posters have, that you need 480 overall and 180 on C3/C4 to get an A* in Maths.

OP: a large number of people do worse on C4 than on any of their other modules, so I would try to get some extra marks from resitting something rather than relying on getting 73 on C4.
Joey15
I think Maths is the exception only going up to an A Grade.....

This is wrong. Maths has six modules, each worth 100 UMS, and you need an average overall of 80%, with an average of 90% in the C3 and C4 modules to get an A*.

Latest