The Student Room Group

Should I put an insurance down even if I only want to go to my firm

Basically, I want to go to Royal Holloway and feel like I will re apply again and again if I don't get the grades this year. I know it sounds a bit silly but I LOVE it. I don't know whether to put Cardiff as my insurance. I might go but I'd much rather not to. But what I was wondering is, would it look bad if I got rejected by Royal Holloway but accepted by Cardiff, then decided I didn't want to go to Cardiff and was going to re apply next year to Royal Holloway? Would uni look down on me for rejecting my insurance offer? Perhaps they'd think I was going to mess them around...
I think you're legally bound to go right?
Reply 2
There's no need to worry about being blacklisted. I withdrew my application after results day last year to reapply and was subsequently accepted by both my firm and insurance choice this year. There's no reason to not choose an insurance offer, and on results day you might be very relieved to have it.

jenniferwatson
I think you're legally bound to go right?

You're not bound to go to either choice if you decide you want to withdraw from UCAS and reapply.
Reply 3
You can get 'released' on results day if you change your mind and ask them.
I'm going to still put an insurance, just in case I change my mind.
If you don't actually want to go to Cardiff, there's no point in putting it as insurance. But seriously, think about whether you actually want to take a gap year if you miss the grades and whether it would be worth it.
Sometimes universities accept you even if you didn't get the grades, right? So what if I miss Royal Holloway's grades but get Cardiff's, can't I still beg Royal Holloway to let me in? Wow, I'm really clueless...
I seriously recommend putting it as your insurance. You picked it for a reason. I had York Uni as my firm, and Liverpool as my insurance. I was dead on going to York. I failed on results day getting into either of them. I thought at the time I was dead on going to York, and would take a gap year and do resits if I didn't get in, but when it came down to it on the day, I decided I couldn't go another year at home, and really wanted to go to Uni, and so went through clearing and got into a Uni in Liverpool. And I'm so glad I did. The emotions you get on results day are so heightened, you feel so different to how you do now.
Reply 7
If you think there is any chance of you wanting to use Clearing then don't pick an insurance. If you think you'll probably want a gap year but may want to go to your insurance then put it down. Withdrawing fro the UCAS process entirely and not going to uni anywhere is easy, but if you change your mind and want to go somewhere else it's harder.

Latest

Trending

Trending