The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
FinalFlash
It's someone jumped from a C in As to 100% in A2...then they'd fully deserve an A* :top:

Over someone who worked consistently well over 2 years though?
sylarfangirl
For some people, yes. For a lot of people whose school/college don't predict A*s, no.

I suppose we'll have to see how it goes this year though.

Well if you're particularly proud of your good AS marks you can always put them down on your UCAS form.
Reply 42
W.H.T
From what I understand, to get an A* requires a student to:

- Achieve at an 'A' grade in AS modules (so at least 80% of ums)
- Average at least 90% of ums in A2 modules

So if you are aiming for an A*, anything above 80% in your AS modules is effectively meaningless as it doesn't even count towards the 'A*'

Example

person 1: Achieved 100% of ums in AS modules and 89% of ums in A2 modules. This candidate will get an 'A' grade for his/her overall A-level.

person 2: Achieved 80% of ums in AS modules and 90% of ums in A2 modules. This canidate will get an 'A*' grade for his/her overall A-level.

From that example, person 1 would have a higher total number of ums for his/her full A-level than person 2. So isn't it unfair that person 1gets an 'A' whereas person 2 gets an 'A*'. Don't tell me that A2 modules are more difficult because I know for some subjects, that is true but others they're about the same. Also, the exam boards usually gives AS-modules the same weighting as A2-modules in terms of their total ums, so technically they are equal in their difficulty and quantity of work.

totally agree completely stupid. A person with less ums can get an A* than someone with an A. Doesn't add up. Excuse the pun.
Reply 43
AnonyMatt
Many people have not even seen the difficulty of the new A2 papers. People seem to be forgetting the stretch and challenge component that wasn't there before. This goes further than a synoptic assessment too.

And your argument isn't very good. Taking art as an example, I can tell you that the A2 is harder than the AS. It's one thing to take a list of example artists and techniques that revolve around a certain topic, and build a personal response which you can compare with classmates at AS, while it is another thing entirely to research your own topic with relevant artists, completely different to anyone elses, and write an essay around it at A2.

There are some skills required at A2 that just aren't examined at AS.
The awarding bodies have decided that A* students must have these skills; the skills which were examined in the AEAs.

For Art, some people may find it more difficult to work within the constraints provided by a 'topic' and therefore would prefer the extra freedom given in the A2. This supports my previous point that for certain subjects, its not necessarily true to say that the A2 is definitely harder than the AS because this depends on a person's preference.
Reply 44
bobki
totally agree completely stupid. A person with less ums can get an A* than someone with an A. Doesn't add up. Excuse the pun.

I agree. I was a lazy **** last year, did very little work, and got a 'C' as AS Maths. Since then i've worked hard and got my grades up, including 90% in C3, so i'll have an A* providing I match it in C4.
However I don't think that this is totally fair on many of my friends who have achieved 100 UMS in C1 and C2 etc. but messed up C3 slightly.
sylarfangirl
I agree.
People who do exceptionally well at AS get no extra recognition.

What would you like? An A*-?

AS (compared to A2) is very easy.
Reply 46
I'm another one who thinks they should not have ditched the AEA on the basis that the new A* would replace it; the content and style of the two qualifications are TOTALLY DIFFERENT and I don't personally believe that the A* holds the same kudos as a distinction or merit at AEA level as a result. I also think that the AEA was a better preparation for Oxbridge than A Levels.
RightSaidJames
Well if you're particularly proud of your good AS marks you can always put them down on your UCAS form.

-WhySoSerious?
What would you like? An A*-?

AS (compared to A2) is very easy.

I'm not talking about me, I scraped at least 3 of my A's last year. I'm talking about people that this would actually affect.

And yes, AS is easier than A2, that's why I think you should have to get 90% in AS in order to be recognised for it. That's just my opinon though, I'm not trying to be all "I DESERVE AN A*!!11!".
Reply 48
W.H.T
I agree with you for subjects like maths and maybe sciences. However the difference in difficulty between AS and A2 is debatable for subjects like Art, DT, History, Economics, English etc. Also, the fact that the exam boards give equal weighting in total 'ums' for both AS and A2 modules would mean that they are indeed the same in terms of difficulty.

I can't speak for the other subjects you listed, but A2 English Lit, on my exam board (OCR) at least, is definitely much more difficult than AS. At AS we had coursework comparing 2 texts with a clear link between them and then a close textual analysis of a passage from another book. At A2, the coursework is comparing 3 works (18th century poem, 20th century novel and a collection of 20th century monologues at my school) with very little in common all in one 3000 word essay. For the exam, at AS it was one essay on poetry by a particular author and one on a novel. At A2, all the texts are pre-18th century which instantly makes them more difficult to analyse. We have to write 1 essay on a Shakespeare play and 1 comparing poems by one author to a play by another (not Shakespeare).

AQA Psychology A is also definitely more difficult at A2. The AS papers have lots of short answer questions and a 12 mark question on basic topics in each area of psychology (e.g. stress for bio psych, memory for cognitive psych). One of the A2 papers has 3 25 mark essays on more complex topics (e.g. biological rhythms, cognition and development) and the other has 1 25 mark essay, 1 set of 2/3 questions adding up to 25 marks and 1 set of 1-12 mark questions on research methods adding up to 35 marks. There is also a big emphasis on synopticity which wasn't there at AS - i.e. bringing in general issues and debates and knowledge from other areas of the course. The AS was more of a general introduction.

As I said, I can only speak for the subjects I do (the others are bio and chem), but I suspect this is similar in all the subjects. I can see a big difference in my friend's artwork from AS to A2 for instance.
I think the new A* is good. It's a bit confusing to understand at first because it doesn't work like a traditional grade but that doesn't make it bad.

I agree that they shouldn't have got rid of the AEA, although it is a shame that the only subject they decided to keep it on for was Maths, where there is an equivalent paper anyway! (ie STEP).
Reply 50
Is getting an A* predicition based on how well you do in As. Say you get 90% average you get predicted A* for A2, but if you got an 80% average in As you get predicted an A?
Reply 51
puma21
Is getting an A* predicition based on how well you do in As. Say you get 90% average you get predicted A* for A2, but if you got an 80% average in As you get predicted an A?

This is how it works in our school at least - but I have heard of people being predicted A* with borderline 80% at AS.
The point in the a* is that people would often do very little work in the a2 year because there AS was so high, and those that do aren't recognised.
I know someone with 297 at AS, so he would need 183/300 next year to get the A. However to get the A* would require 270 which gives him a target AND a reward and recognition for his work.
Without the A*, if he does as much work and get 270+ next year, he will not be rewarded for that work.

Basically the A* is an addition to the A to recognise hard work in the A2 year which would otherwise go unrewarded.
W.H.T
I agree with you for subjects like maths and maybe sciences. However the difference in difficulty between AS and A2 is debatable for subjects like Art, DT, History, Economics, English etc. Also, the fact that the exam boards give equal weighting in total 'ums' for both AS and A2 modules would mean that they are indeed the same in terms of difficulty.

Do you seriously know what you're talking about, especially concerning the latter three subjects? English A2 is considerably harder than AS, with a lot more emphasis on self-learning, and my friends have found History A2 a lot harder with the emphasis being on "thinking like a historian" or something along those lines. They give equal weighting because you really should be better one year along the line, and often different skills are tested anyway.
Angelil
I'm another one who thinks they should not have ditched the AEA on the basis that the new A* would replace it; the content and style of the two qualifications are TOTALLY DIFFERENT and I don't personally believe that the A* holds the same kudos as a distinction or merit at AEA level as a result. I also think that the AEA was a better preparation for Oxbridge than A Levels.

I think you're right, but the A* system is fairer. A lot of schools didn't give their students chance to do AEA papers- indeed, my school, a good state sixth form, only offered AEA maths. This way, everyone gets a chance to aim for the top grade.
I don't agree with it, I think it'll undermine the A grade.

What they should have done is created more content that qualifies for the A* instead of awarding the A* using what content there is right now or they should just make the UMS for the a-levels clear on UCAS forms and the A-level certifiates.
Reply 56
MewMachine
Do you seriously know what you're talking about, especially concerning the latter three subjects? English A2 is considerably harder than AS, with a lot more emphasis on self-learning, and my friends have found History A2 a lot harder with the emphasis being on "thinking like a historian" or something along those lines. They give equal weighting because you really should be better one year along the line, and often different skills are tested anyway.

and did you properly read what I wrote?

I simply said that the difference in difficulty for those subjects between AS and A2 is 'debatable'. Some people may find that the topics in A2 to be far more enjoyable and therefore easier to learn. As you have said, 'different skills are tested'; but since when does something being 'different' also mean that its 'difficult'?
Reply 57
AnthonyShock
I don't agree with it, I think it'll undermine the A grade.

What they should have done is created more content that qualifies for the A* instead of awarding the A* using what content there is right now or they should just make the UMS for the a-levels clear on UCAS forms and the A-level certifiates.

Actually they have. The new specifications include opportunity for "stretch and challenge" aimed at A* candidates.

W.H.T

I simply said that the difference in difficulty for those subjects between AS and A2 is 'debatable'. Some people may find that the topics in A2 to be far more enjoyable and therefore easier to learn. As you have said, 'different skills are tested'; but since when does something being 'different' also mean that its 'difficult'?

And did you read what I wrote, detailing exactly how A2 English and Psychology are harder than AS?
W.H.T

You can say exactly the same thing about maths and science if we're going down the 'debatable' route, I know many people who have found Maths A2 in particular to be easier than the AS level. And no, different does not necessarily mean more difficult, but it wouldn't make sense to test exactly the same skills at AS and A2, or that'd be boring.

In response to the initial question addressed, I do agree with you in that the system hasn't been addressed carefully enough though. I think you should only be able to gain it if you have achieved 90%+ at both AS and A2 level.
Reply 59
Meliae
Actually they have. The new specifications include opportunity for "stretch and challenge" aimed at A* candidates.

And did you read what I wrote, detailing exactly how A2 English and Psychology are harder than AS?

no, I didn't read what you wrote because that post you quoted from me was a reply to another person.

Latest