The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
W.H.T
no, I didn't read what you wrote because that post you quoted from me was a reply to another person.

What does that have to do with anything? :s-smilie: It was the same one MewMachine quoted. I take it you have no disagreements?
Meliae
I can't speak for the other subjects you listed, but A2 English Lit, on my exam board (OCR) at least, is definitely much more difficult than AS. At AS we had coursework comparing 2 texts with a clear link between them and then a close textual analysis of a passage from another book. At A2, the coursework is comparing 3 works (18th century poem, 20th century novel and a collection of 20th century monologues at my school) with very little in common all in one 3000 word essay. For the exam, at AS it was one essay on poetry by a particular author and one on a novel. At A2, all the texts are pre-18th century which instantly makes them more difficult to analyse. We have to write 1 essay on a Shakespeare play and 1 comparing poems by one author to a play by another (not Shakespeare).

AQA Psychology A is also definitely more difficult at A2. The AS papers have lots of short answer questions and a 12 mark question on basic topics in each area of psychology (e.g. stress for bio psych, memory for cognitive psych). One of the A2 papers has 3 25 mark essays on more complex topics (e.g. biological rhythms, cognition and development) and the other has 1 25 mark essay, 1 set of 2/3 questions adding up to 25 marks and 1 set of 1-12 mark questions on research methods adding up to 35 marks. There is also a big emphasis on synopticity which wasn't there at AS - i.e. bringing in general issues and debates and knowledge from other areas of the course. The AS was more of a general introduction.

As I said, I can only speak for the subjects I do (the others are bio and chem), but I suspect this is similar in all the subjects. I can see a big difference in my friend's artwork from AS to A2 for instance.

Same - it's terrible! Which texts are you doing? We've read "The Waste Land" (Eliot), "Death of a Salesman" (Miller) and "Hey Nostradamus!" (Coupland). :smile:
MewMachine
I think you're right, but the A* system is fairer. A lot of schools didn't give their students chance to do AEA papers- indeed, my school, a good state sixth form, only offered AEA maths. This way, everyone gets a chance to aim for the top grade.

AEA Maths is the only AEA left afaik. The others were all stopped because of the A* grade but I think that because you need AEA for Warwick the have carried it on for now.
Reply 63
Muppety_Kid
Same - it's terrible! Which texts are you doing? We've read "The Waste Land" (Eliot), "Death of a Salesman" (Miller) and "Hey Nostradamus!" (Coupland). :smile:

Rime of the Ancient Mariner (Coleridge), Remains of the Day (Ishiguro) and Talking Heads (Bennett). With the last, we have to pick a few monologues from the set to talk about. Ancient Mariner in particular has very little to compare with the other two.
MadnessRed
AEA Maths is the only AEA left afaik. The others were all stopped because of the A* grade but I think that because you need AEA for Warwick the have carried it on for now.

Yessss I know that, it's a shame really, because I think I'd have liked the challenge of AEA. Oh well.
Reply 65
sylarfangirl
I agree.
People who do exceptionally well at AS get no extra recognition.

Your education is not all about what grade you get
Reply 66
i love the idea of getting a* at AS, it motivates me to do work and revision

and ummm 90% in A2 to get A* quite hard to obtain but still approachable. It would be good to include 90% in AS too
a lot fairer to me.
jamesn
Your education is not all about what grade you get

No, you're right, it's not.

But when an A* would give you the edge on a Uni application I'd say it's pretty important for people applying to the likes of Oxbridge. :smile:
Hmm I can see the benefit of an A* grade, but obviously it adds on even more pressure to us A2 students! How should one go about preparing for exams with the intention of grabbing an A*? Can anyone who got 90%+ average last year recommend what one should do to guarantee an A*?
Reply 69
MewMachine
I think you're right, but the A* system is fairer. A lot of schools didn't give their students chance to do AEA papers- indeed, my school, a good state sixth form, only offered AEA maths. This way, everyone gets a chance to aim for the top grade.

That's not the fault of the AEA, though; that's the fault of poor marketing :p: A lot of schools didn't even know it was available - or, if they did, they were misinformed about it.
sidrah
Even more unfair than you'd think really.
And that puts an immense amount of pressure on people who have got 90% ums from AS to carry on that level of performance in A2..
And my chemistry board carries the A* 10% of the marks as stretch and challenge, so not even in the syllabus!

What's your Chemistry exam board?
Reply 71
chloedabell
What's your Chemistry exam board?

OCR A.
Reply 72
I think it takes the shine off the A :frown: Plus, someone with the A* could have achieved it having less UMS marks than someone with an A grade :mad:.
sidrah
OCR A.

Oh righty, that's okay then. I was worried that it was AQA and that there'd be stretch and challenge in my Chemistry exam as well as in my Biology exams (which is OCR). I hate stretch and challenge and OCR.
Reply 74
chloedabell
Oh righty, that's okay then. I was worried that it was AQA and that there'd be stretch and challenge in my Chemistry exam as well as in my Biology exams (which is OCR). I hate stretch and challenge and OCR.

There's stretch and challenge questions on every single exam-board that has implemented the A*, that's the entire point of it.
Reply 75
I don't think it's been well thought through at all....I believe that if the exam boards wanted to really stretched candidates, they should have done it through the means of extension papers - like AEA.
Reply 76
chloedabell

Yeah, me too.
Thank goodness I do edexcel for biology..
The A2 modules are harder. Yeah it's unfair in some respects to those who got 90% at AS but it's awarding those who are getting either the same or better as the course continues - which tbh isn't exactly the worst thing.

There are other issues with the grade but hey that's for another thread.
Reply 78
well u can look at it in a different way - the A2 modules are significantly harder than the AS ie. maths. C1 is a joke compared to C3 C4.
Reply 79
Well, I think they introduced the condition of 90% at A2 modules to force students to continue working. In the previous years it was sufficient to pass AS at 100% and then care less and get 60% at A2, which would still get them 80% required for A.

Latest