The Student Room Group

Got better results than expected, reapply to uni?

Hey gang.
So i was predicted

BTEC Business (1 alevel, i dropped it after some terrible advice to take it!) A
Maths A
Further Maths B
Physics As B

So i have an offer from Manchester and im looking to go to the best university possible for the best prospects basically etc.

So results day comes and I am now on target for an A* in Maths, and A in Further Maths and at a push i believe i can force an A out of AS physics. BTEC Business is already in the bag :biggrin:

So IF i managed A*AAa in these subjects is it worth re-applying?

At Manchester I was planning to study International Business, Finance and Economics with an AAB requirement.
Im looking at the business type area, the areas above really, but obviously the university is rather important, and at the back of my mind i wouldnt walk away from an Investment banking opportunity.

My GCSE's suck big time, 2 A*, 2A, 3B, 2C.

So what im really asking is, if i managed to get them grades, should i reapply? And what universities would be in the equation realistically.
From what i can see the BTEC isnt going to go down well as well as the GCSE's, so im wondering if even with those grades i could do any better?

I could always retake some GCSEs, if i put half the effort into them than i do with a levels id half loads of A*s, but this would be frowned upon really!

Although no uni says they dont accept BTEC's, i really cant see many getting in with them due to the competition?
So yeah help appreciated, If i were to reapply next year, carry out abit of relevant work experience and maybe top up some GCSE's, can i do better than Manchester?
Help appreciated, im not at all saying Manchester is bad, far from it, but i dont want to regret it if i could of done better.
Reply 1
help appreciated :smile:
Reply 2
If you wanted to get into a better uni for finance/economics, I would reapply next year and put your maths grades on your UCAS and complete your Physics to A2 and pick up Economics and complete it in one year.

Then you may get conditional offers from unis asking for AA in Physics and Economics and I would expect them to be better than Manchester, heck if you achieved A*A in Maths and F.Maths - Economics at a top 11 uni isn't out of the question :smile:
Reply 3
It's worth having a bash at UCAS Adjustment if you exceed your offers. There are unlikely to be places available at better uni's, but there's nothing to lose by having a go.
Reply 4
Ok might do, wont i be treat badly though from applying third year? I.e if i was just having a gap it wouldnt matter, but doing more qualifications? that cant be good?
I was always considering Economics, not the biggest fan of Physics as it is, so maybe not on that front :smile:
Will definatley try UCAS adjustment if i get the option, thanks.

Would you do GCSE's again? Places like LSE are automatically No go areas with mine lol.
Reply 5
any more views appreciated? GCSE's resits? bad idea?
THanks
Reply 6
Will1692
Ok might do, wont i be treat badly though from applying third year? I.e if i was just having a gap it wouldnt matter, but doing more qualifications? that cant be good?
I was always considering Economics, not the biggest fan of Physics as it is, so maybe not on that front :smile:
Will definatley try UCAS adjustment if i get the option, thanks.

Would you do GCSE's again? Places like LSE are automatically No go areas with mine lol.

Yeah GCSE resits are kinda pointless, unless your maths and english grades were bad.

I've seen people on the LSE applicants thread who have done A-Levels over 3 years. They don't like it when you take 3 years to do the same 3 subjects but if you were to get good grades in your subjects atm and pick up 1 and 2 more - they can't penalise you for making bad subject decisions in year 11.

However LSE maybe a bit too much, because they like candidates to have majority A*'s for their GCSE's. But unis like Bristol, Nottingham, Bath are realistic especially if you get an A* in Maths, A in further maths and write an amazing PS.
Reply 7
Progashman
Yeah GCSE resits are kinda pointless, unless your maths and english grades were bad.

I've seen people on the LSE applicants thread who have done A-Levels over 3 years. They don't like it when you take 3 years to do the same 3 subjects but if you were to get good grades in your subjects atm and pick up 1 and 2 more - they can't penalise you for making bad subject decisions in year 11.

However LSE maybe a bit too much, because they like candidates to have majority A*'s for their GCSE's. But unis like Bristol, Nottingham, Bath are realistic especially if you get an A* in Maths, A in further maths and write an amazing PS.

Ok thanks for that, its really helpful :smile:
I have A in GCSE maths, didnt really understand the concept at that point, then B in English. If i was reapplying i could do loads in November? Do you still think it would be a pointless exercise?
I was looking more london, if i have an A* it goes along way, maybe UCL economics? Is that again abit of a push? These stupid GCSE's!
Thanks
Reply 8
Will1692
Ok thanks for that, its really helpful :smile:
I have A in GCSE maths, didnt really understand the concept at that point, then B in English. If i was reapplying i could do loads in November? Do you still think it would be a pointless exercise?
I was looking more london, if i have an A* it goes along way, maybe UCL economics? Is that again abit of a push? These stupid GCSE's!
Thanks

UCL are also GCSE whores, but you could try as 1 of your 5 choices - I don't think retaking GCSE's is liked by unis so I personally wouldn't bother.
Reply 9
So then it comes to the point is Bristol, Nottingham etc that much better than Manchester?
Looking at their Business Schools?
The advice is greatly appreciated, surely thoughly if i just did loads of exams in November, just to prove a point that i have "changed" if you like, good a levels and GCSE's. Im sure they dont see it like that but they might :biggrin:
Reply 10
Will1692
So then it comes to the point is Bristol, Nottingham etc that much better than Manchester?
Looking at their Business Schools?
The advice is greatly appreciated, surely thoughly if i just did loads of exams in November, just to prove a point that i have "changed" if you like, good a levels and GCSE's. Im sure they dont see it like that but they might :biggrin:

For Economics there is a top 11, which are the best unis for Economics and competition is very high - full details can be found in economics forum. Manchester is just outside the top 11.

As a business schools, I'm not sure how they compare, but overall they are a notch above Manchester.
Reply 11
GCSE results don't matter once your A-Level results are known :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending