The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

TheMeister
hmm, well it could happen. You must be aware of how much it costs for a re-mark though, right?

yeah sure, around £40
thats why im going to order the scripts first and get my teachers to take a look them to see if they're worth getting remarked
-

not enough for an A* :frown: getting my script back, our whole class might be investigated because everyones results weren't as good as they should've been really. what about you?
(edited 5 years ago)
I hate AQA.
French Oral: The invigilator said that I should get an A having heard it. I got a U. Naturally I was a bit shocked. Obviously the invigilator can't have been out by so much. I got given the exact same mark as the guy above my on the list and he was redoing the year because he was so **** and the invigilator predicted him an E. Probably an accidental copy and paste...
I sent for a remark to AQA. It went up by 2 UMS...
I had to do a retake. I went up from a U to a B.
Reply 23
TheMeister
At GCSE, AS or A2? I'm in completely the same situation now with English literature at AS, we're not entirely sure what happened and the teacher is strongly suggesting a re-mark but the college only have limited funds - do you think it would go up? I mean, I'm sure I followed the AOs and I also answered the questions as pretty much directed in the run-up to it in January. I must admit, I was rather devastated when I realised I had actually gotten an E! A ******* E! haha

The one that went up by 26 was AS, the other was A2. I would strongly suggest you get a remark - if you think you should have done better than you did, chances are you're right! You could always ask to see if they'll fund it - in my case they practically threw the money at me since they knew I wasn't a C student, and then again the second time round after seeing how much effect the first one had had!
bringmesunshine

why have you picked an insurance with the same grades as your firm? :confused:
-

we did contract law but it is still the same grade boundaries etc
i got 79/100 but my teacher said i should've got at least 90/100 after seeing the paper and grade boundaries, everybody in my class had a mark at least 10UMS lower than expected. i couldn't have hoped for an easier exam question if i am honest and the evaluation question we did in a mock was identical! i got 24/25 in the mock but only 18/25 in the real exam despite just regurgitating the answer i wrote in the mock. my teacher has ordered the 3 most 'surprising' results back (the exam script) and he is going to swap with another school nearby who had the same problem, they are both going to mark their own papers and each others, compare the scores and potentially get them all remarked/investigated! fingers crossed, i really thought i had done so much better! obviously there is a chance i just messed up the exam but it is strange that it is the whole class and also a class from another school.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 26
69Crazyfists
I hate AQA.
French Oral: The invigilator said that I should get an A having heard it. I got a U. Naturally I was a bit shocked. Obviously the invigilator can't have been out by so much. I got given the exact same mark as the guy above my on the list and he was redoing the year because he was so **** and the invigilator predicted him an E. Probably an accidental copy and paste...

That's terrible :frown:

I thought I'd got hard-done by in my AS French oral (this was WJEC mind) as, like you, I was immediately told after finishing that I should get an A but ended up with a C. Several in our group went in for remarks (all funded by the school) but none changed by even a single mark. It turned out that it was the senior examiner that'd marked us the first time, and the lesser examiner who did the remarks didn't want to go against his boss so left them all the same. Which just shows how stupidly corrupt the whole system is.
69Crazyfists
why have you picked an insurance with the same grades as your firm?

i didn't apply to an 'insurance choice' university, i'm crazy i know :o: i then put both a firm and insurance so that if i do drop a grade i have two chances of being accepted this year rather than having to take a gap year and reapply.
maltiness
The one that went up by 26 was AS, the other was A2. I would strongly suggest you get a remark - if you think you should have done better than you did, chances are you're right! You could always ask to see if they'll fund it - in my case they practically threw the money at me since they knew I wasn't a C student, and then again the second time round after seeing how much effect the first one had had!

cheers :smile:
Reply 29
My boyfriend got a re-mark on his AS politics paper last year and it went down by 11 whole marks! He was forced to re-sit after hoping to move it up to an A!

My paper also went down by 3 marks!

I would go for it, but do not expect it to go up everytime!
Reply 30
Miss Purple
yeah sure, around £40
thats why im going to order the scripts first and get my teachers to take a look them to see if they're worth getting remarked

Is that allowed, my teacher said you couldn't send off for the paper then get a remark and I swear you can get it - just not the actual paper and then get a remark?
there are at least 5 A-grade students in my chem class, and none of us got an A, which my teacher thought was quite shocking.

excuse my wording, but if other people in your class are more or less in the same situation, does that mean your grades are more likely to be accurate??
Reply 32
if your gonna retake anyway might as well..
-

i got second highest in the class, the marks ranged from 60-81, only one person managed to breakthrough the 80 barrier! it was such a shock, last year the whole class got As and Bs and we had the best class results in the school.
(edited 5 years ago)
Gemma2010
Is that allowed, my teacher said you couldn't send off for the paper then get a remark and I swear you can get it - just not the actual paper and then get a remark?

you get a photocopy, not the real thing.
it makes sense for it to work that way.. otherwise it's a russian roulette
Reply 35
I remarked an Economics GCSE paper and it rose by 20UMS so sometimes they make big cock-ups!
69Crazyfists
I hate AQA.

I know it's not quite as bad as this, but the invigilator for mine asked me at the end if I was carrying on to A2 and when I told him I wasn't, he said "That's a shame, you're really good." I was like "Yay I've probably got an A!" but I ended up with a low B.

One of my friends got a C in his German AS and it was sent back for remarking, it came back as a D :confused:

GCSE English Lit results were really strange at my school - in most subjects more than 50% of our year got A*s, yet in English Lit there was only 1 A* out of 155. They told us that our papers were being sent back for remarking, but I don't think any of the marks went up because it said that we'd all got As on our certificates.
I got a chem2 paper remarked. Needed 2 marks for an A, I was given 1. I think I would have preferred it to have just stayed where it was :shifty:. I know it isn't on AQA, but my Edexcel French paper last summer went up 11 UMS when I sent it for a remark. But it was all on the written section, which is very subjective.
Reply 38
My PSYA3 paper is being sent back for remarking; got the results on Thursday and had only achieved 60% when I was aiming for 80+%, I'm glad my teacher is getting it re-marked for me, because I really don't know where I would have gone wrong.
Reply 39
Lit2010
My PSYA3 paper is being sent back for remarking; got the results on Thursday and had only achieved 60% when I was aiming for 80+%, I'm glad my teacher is getting it re-marked for me, because I really don't know where I would have gone wrong.

I'm in the same boat! :woo:

Latest