The Student Room Group

Incredibly bad abdominal pain.

Ever since Saturday afternoon, I've been suffering from a sudden onset of terrible pain in my abdomen, but I have no idea why. It feels almost like being winded, or like someone is repeatedly kicking my in the belly every time I move. It hurts even if I just put my foot down too hard, or sit down. Last night I could barely get to sleep because I was in so much discomfort. I tried taking paracetamol but it did nothing for the pain. I sat in the bathroom for an hour or so, trying to go to the toilet thinking it may be diarrhoea, and also trying to make myself throw up just for any sort of release from the discomfort, but I couldn't go or throw (har har har).

I feel sort of as though I'm suffering from immense hunger, but I'd already eaten two meals before I started to hurt, and I've tried eating lots since. It doesn't help. My appetite hasn't changed.

I don't expect a full or particularly accurate diagnosis from the non-professionals of the TSR Health forums as it's not your job to get to the root of the problem, but could anyone give me any idea whatsoever what could be wrong with me? Is there anything I can do/take to relieve the pain? I would be extremely grateful for any sort of help.

P.S: I am going to the doctor tomorrow if I don't feel any better, but I would like some sort of indication of what's wrong. I'm not one of those people who doesn't seek help, and that counts on TSR to help me through everthing.
Reply 1
Hi :smile: I know what this feels like, because I get it every frikking month! I have been to matron, the doctors, I've even tried homeopathic treatment but it just won't go away...and all the doctor ever has to say is that its common! I had a pelvic scan 2 months ago, because my homeopathy doctor was worried that i might have fibroids or PCO (polycystic ovaries).. but i have neither of these things.

It seems that this is the first time you've got this - the best pain relief is Nurofen. And a hot coffee/tea will make you feel better .Chamomile tea is particularly good (it'll help you go to the toilet better, which will sometimes relieve the pain) It's probably a good idea to eat more too.. iron rich food is good.

And keep active! Its a vicious cycle, because you will tend to sleep, or sit, or lie around the house cos of the pain, but this makes it worse. Doing some exercise or even going shopping will help!

I don't know what it could be, but do some research on PCO/fibroids before you go to the doctors.

Hang in there! hope you feel better :smile:
xx
Anonymous

anyone give me any idea whatsoever what could be wrong with me? Is there anything I can do/take to relieve the pain? I would be extremely grateful for any sort of help.

It's possible you have an ulcer? Where is the pain located? Sharp pain in the bottom right may be a problem with your appendix. Bottom left may be gas pain.. behind your belly button could be a number of things.
Reply 3
If the pain is that bad I"d say phone an ambulance and get to hospital, could be anything from an ulcer to appendicitis.

Hope you are better soon :smile:
Reply 4
Wow , I suffered the exact pain Tuesday night and didn't get a decent nights sleep until yesterday. I visited the doctors and the hospital , I at first did think it was IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) as this was what the first doctor told me he prescribed me IBS tablets in order to stop the pain he also said it could be something in my diet and that I should write down everything i eat and where the pain suffers most.

2 Days later, I'm still dying in pain so hit the hospital and visted another doctor his quizzed me asking me if I've been to the gym recently or done any heavy lifting I responded a no. He decided to prescibe me 400mg ibuprofen which have worked like a dream so from my point of view it looks like it was a simple muscle strain but I never thought muscle pain could be this intense that I actually said to myself I'm going to take as many tablets as I can to kill this pain.

I have started to eat healthier though and I'm starting to feel better in myself, First thing I cut down was caffeine this was a must I would drink 4-5 cans of Rockstar/Monster Energy a day I was replacing food with cans of this.
Reply 5
I wouldn't really say it was bottom left or bottom right, it's sort of focused around the area between the bottom of my ribcage and my belly button. If I touch my belly at all it feels really tender and if I press down with any force it makes me wince.

I haven't done any heavy lifting or that sort of thing, it sort of came on just after walking around town and then going to the toilet. I'm male, just in case that could affect anything.
Reply 6
Anonymous
I wouldn't really say it was bottom left or bottom right, it's sort of focused around the area between the bottom of my ribcage and my belly button. If I touch my belly at all it feels really tender and if I press down with any force it makes me wince.

I haven't done any heavy lifting or that sort of thing, it sort of came on just after walking around town and then going to the toilet. I'm male, just in case that could affect anything.

I'd say go to doctors see what they have to say , if they seem to be bewildered to the problem purchase 400mg ibuprofen you can get them over the counter in Boots.
Reply 7
Anonymous

hi, you might have an appendicitis. Not to panic you.
EDIT: my bad, i didnt read that it was below ribcage. You probably dont then.
Reply 8
OhHowIronic
hi, you might have an appendicitis. Not to panic you.
EDIT: my bad, i didnt read that it was below ribcage. You probably dont then.

That made me smile, thanks :wink:
Reply 9
Oh dear that sounds horrible :frown:

Abdominal pain is often referred, so even if it is above your bellybutton it could originate somewhere else in your abdomen.
To be honest I'd wait and see what the doctor says. Even though you're not taking what we say too seriously, the last thing you wanna do is convince yourself it's something that an untrained person suggested.

Good luck, if it does get worse though get to A&E! Better to be safe than sorry :smile:

xx
Anonymous
That made me smile, thanks :wink:

no worries man, hang in there :smile:
Reply 11
it could be gallbladder or ulcer pain, although I had really really bad pain like you've described and it turned out just to be trapped wind :o:
Reply 12
Could be an ovarian cyst. I had to go into hospital because of an ovarian cyst in the summer and it was much like that. The pain started out okay on my right side, but steadily got worse until all I could do was sit and cry in pain. The local doctor of where I was staying said it was "definitely" my appendix and packed me off to the hospital. I had to wait for ages to see a doctor, and the pain got slightly better. They did loads of poking at my stomach and bloodtests and stuff. Eventually they did an ultrasound to see my appendix, and the nice Canadian man that operated the ultrasound said that there were a couple of ovarian cysts directly where the pain was. By this time I hadn't eaten for hours and was starving, so I declined the offer to see a gynaecologist because the pain was almost gone and I just wanted to eat. I bought a huge packet of Haribos from a vending machine and scoffed them all. =P
When I got home my doctor agreed that it was probably an ovarian cyst rupturing that caused it, and said they were relatively common when you're young(although it could be PCOS as well).

So yeah, could be that. =\
Reply 13
Can't wait to go see the doctor and be told I've just got trapped wind, knowing my luck that'll be exactly what it is -.-
Reply 14
Dusty12
I declined the offer...because the pain was almost gone and I just wanted to eat. I bought a huge packet of Haribos from a vending machine and scoffed them all. =P

That admittedly sounds exactly like me. I've been stuffing my face hoping it'll cause some sort of bodily reaction that could lead to a recovery!
It sounds like an appendicitus I felt the same, go to the hospital asap
Reply 16
Anonymous
Can't wait to go see the doctor and be told I've just got trapped wind, knowing my luck that'll be exactly what it is -.-

have you taken any wind relief or indigestion tablets? I didn't get diagnosed at the doctors (I imagine it's quite difficult to diagnose trapped wind) I just took loads of indigestion tablets and a wind relief tablet because I was desperate to stop the pain and then lay down on my stomach for ages, farted a bit and then it went away a bit and by the next day was completely gone so I figured it was that
Reply 17
Well I'm feeling much better now, probably about 95% recovered. I'm not really sure what was wrong but after 3-4 days the pain seems to have just cleared up. Didn't realy do much or take anything to clear it up so who knows what was wrong.

Thanks for all the advice anyway everyone x
Reply 18
Anonymous

Whoof, don't even joke. Trapped wind can be so painful when it wants to be, to the point of making physically sick sometimes :s-smilie:
If it is that in the future though, I highly recommend peppermint oil capsules - they work wonders :o:

Latest