The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Wilton and Cooklin; The only names you need this Friday..

So it's student elections on friday and incase you don't know or care who to vote for, let me suggest Owen Wilton for association president - you genuinely won't find a nicer and more on the ball guy. He knows the union backwards and has the brain to sort the place out.

For debates vote Robert Cooklin - he is the only candidate who actually knows what the UDS is all about..

Scroll to see replies

Crap. That time of year again? I'll have to get my big pointy stick to ward off the people trying to give me fliers and take up origami again.

(Please don't advertise elections on the board... It'll be mayhem if everyone gets the idea to do it, and who wants that?)
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Everyone says they have the brains to sort out the Union, failing to realise that the reason the Union still sucks has nothing to do with the comparative intelligence of previous Presidents. It's a bureaucracy, it's going to suck. Specific suggestions would be nice, as well.

Agreeing with dragon500uk that advertising candidates on here isn't a good precedent.
Reply 3
it's like the biggest thing happening this week and you don't want to talk about it?? - that's what internet forums are for.. ok so the plug was a bit cheeky but nevertheless the subject is relevant..
Reply 4
What exactly does this bunch of people once elected actually do?
Reply 5
Basically every flier and poster just says "Vote for me"

If they actually gave a reason why I should, then maybe. Owen Wilton's says the most and it just says "I want to make the Union better", which is of no help whatsoever
To be fair it says slightly more than that.

But come to hecklings if you really want to differentiate the candidates. Or read what they have to say on facebook, etc
(deliberately not making another thread to avoid annoying people but...)

Anyone for Siena? Parker for DoRep
Missing DoSDA? Put Ally Holmes on the case

:smile:
Reply 8
I much enjoyed my Ally holmes glowstick on saturday.. not sure that's a good reason to vote for him though..
Sambo2
I much enjoyed my Ally holmes glowstick on saturday.. not sure that's a good reason to vote for him though..

You got a glowstick? I didn't - I will be having words :smile:

He has a pretty good video on youtube if that's any more persuasive!
Back on this election what not why are there so many sodding posters around offering to 'improve the union'? Whatever is wrong with it besides the drink prices?
Reply 11
terpineol
Back on this election what not why are there so many sodding posters around offering to 'improve the union'? Whatever is wrong with it besides the drink prices?

have you been in there lately.. - it's totally empty most nights! - but I must say it is odd - if a building the same as the union opened in town it would be mobber, but for some reason 'the union' is a seriously uncool place to be...
Sambo2
have you been in there lately.. - it's totally empty most nights! - but I must say it is odd - if a building the same as the union opened in town it would be mobber, but for some reason 'the union' is a seriously uncool place to be...

This year I havn't had time really, though when I do go in there its to get as drunk as possible as quickly and as cheaply as possible, for which it is by far and away the best place in town. Could be a bit cheaper though, I can live with tennants being £1.50 a pint but on everything else it has to be the most expensive union I have ever visited by a long way.
Reply 13
terpineol
This year I havn't had time really, though when I do go in there its to get as drunk as possible as quickly and as cheaply as possible, for which it is by far and away the best place in town. Could be a bit cheaper though, I can live with tennants being £1.50 a pint but on everything else it has to be the most expensive union I have ever visited by a long way.

but that is because - thank goodness - we are not part of NUS so don't get the same drinks deals.. it's still the cheapest place in town though..
terpineol

The Union is much more than a bar. Do you have much experience interacting with the Union as a committee member of a society? I do, and I can speak from experience when I say that the Union is terrible.

We booked something back in December, and some complete incompetent in the office changed it for no reason in January. We only found out about this once we checked our booking in early March. This has happened every previous year.

They insist on using a manual system of diaries to record it rather than a centralised system. The excuse given for why they don't use an electronic system is because not all of the staff know how to use it, like they can't learn. The SRC has told them to move their arses on it but they still aren't.

Also, the catering is low quality and terrible value for money, since there isn't any competition. The staff varies between nice but clearly overwhelmed to outright jobsworths (one guy was moaning because, OH NO, he had to come in an hour earlier to start cleaning on one day! End of the world.)

So yeah, the Union has some serious issues, especially if you consider it something more than just a place to get cheap booze.
Exactly, and that's why it's so important to look for a candidate who has the experience and has shown they know where the problem areas are and have shown commitment in the past. I wont say who I think everyone should vote, but I advise people to come to the debate tonight, it's not difficult to write a load of crap on a facebook group.
Jormungandr
The Union is much more than a bar. Do you have much experience interacting with the Union as a committee member of a society? I do, and I can speak from experience when I say that the Union is terrible.

We booked something back in December, and some complete incompetent in the office changed it for no reason in January. We only found out about this once we checked our booking in early March. This has happened every previous year.

They insist on using a manual system of diaries to record it rather than a centralised system. The excuse given for why they don't use an electronic system is because not all of the staff know how to use it, like they can't learn. The SRC has told them to move their arses on it but they still aren't.

Also, the catering is low quality and terrible value for money, since there isn't any competition. The staff varies between nice but clearly overwhelmed to outright jobsworths (one guy was moaning because, OH NO, he had to come in an hour earlier to start cleaning on one day! End of the world.)

So yeah, the Union has some serious issues, especially if you consider it something more than just a place to get cheap booze.

All the societies I have been part of have been unaffiliated due to the requirements of the union for clear book keeping, the nestle boycott, and I believe there is a further problem with becoming affiliated and allowing anyone to be a member.
<le bump>

Some stuff is out on Twitter already. STAR is also meant to be doing stuff, but they're playing Hakuna Matata just now, which I'm quite enjoying :h:
I cannot believe Phil Pass was re-elected.
Reply 19
starsandsparkles
I cannot believe Phil Pass was re-elected.

gotta say I was shocked about that - it's been total mediocrity all year and I think Lizzie had so much to offer, pretty gutted about that but delighted about Owen.

Latest

Trending

Trending